off topic: but iam asking this community for a little help and support

2ELIAS6

The entire sheriffs Dept. is in trouble with the county executive trying to eliminate it. Iam asking this great community to PLEASE take a minute out of your time and give us a vote in this posted poll to tell the legislature to keep the Rockland County Sheriff's Department ! With the elimination of the dept. many people will lose their jobs and families will be forced to suffer through difficult times. This was a ploy to "lower" county tax's however it will just raise town and village tax's even higher because all of the town police departments will have to hire more bodies as well as replacing all of the specialized units. I know this shouldnt be posted here but i wanted as many people to see this as possible! Please help us out with some support and a quick vote!

thanks guys!

http://rocklandstar.cpnewsnet.com/2014/11/18/poll-rockland-county-sheriff-department-cuts/

thank you! it doesnt matter where anyone resides here i know iam probably the only one from rockland county, but i know i can count on this great community of people to show some support for a fellow member/fan ..thank you everyone who takes time out and participates in this for us.

Edited by 2ELIAS6

Voted from Orlando, Florida. At this point you guys are up around 220.

Good luck!

I'm guessing this poll is just meant to prove a point and won't actually be the deciding factor?

it is not the deciding factor the legislature has to vote on the county executives budget which will be the deciding factor.. however this poll will show support almost like having people sign a petition to keep the department.. no weight just shows support.. Thank you everyone! means a lot that we can show support for each other through difficult times!

Can someone help answer a question for me - 

Why are there various law enforcement entities within one jurisdiction?  What's the difference between a Sheriff Dept. police officer and a local police officer?  What tasks do they have that are differentiated?

Can someone help answer a question for me - 

Why are there various law enforcement entities within one jurisdiction?  What's the difference between a Sheriff Dept. police officer and a local police officer?  What tasks do they have that are differentiated?

technically they are all police, town and village police uually handle any type of calls through 911 ex: being domestic violence call etc. sheriffs dept. consists of several specialized units they have county wide jurisdiction as theyre the county police, the civil department which handles orders of protection, evictions etc. the marine unit which patrols the Hudson River, the mounted unit, bomb squad, arson investigation, accident reconstruction etc. etc. everyone handles enforcement of vehicle and traffic law for the most part..there is much mor to it than this just briefly describing some differences. State police have state wide jurisdiction but usually handle v&t enforcement on your highways etc. so on and so on

It's interesting how the politics play out in county government- over the line in Bergen they're trying to do the exact opposite, instead of eliminating the sheriff's Office they're trying consolidating everything into it.

In the end it's all about who knows who and who garners the most loyalty. It's basically a more public version of the mob.