A Plan To Try To Right The Ship (For Next Year)

Triumph

Watch Lou draft a defender.

If we're picking 3 or lower and if there's not an acceptable trade to be made, you have to draft Hannifin if he's available.  I'd say Kylington too, but Swedish players just freak me out at this point.  If that's what happens, I imagine Gelinas gets traded for the best Lou can find.  At that point, the future D would be Larrsson-Merrill; Greene-Severson; Hannifin/Kylington-Santini.  That's pretty damn good, especially if you're not convinced that the forwards in the draft not named McDavid or Eichel will be bona fide first liners. 

It's also pretty obvious that's what Lou's thinking is.  He said it when he drafted Jacobs that he wanted to draft as many forwards as possible, but Jacobs was too good to pass up. 

One of the things about losing franchises that I don't think people understand, not having followed one really, is that it's hard to evaluate your players correctly when the team starts losing.  And it's hard for people to constantly play out of their depth - Edmonton gave all sorts of ice time to all sorts of young players, and they then had to trade some of those young players because they didn't develop them correctly.  Sam Gagner might've been a better player had he not been playing in the NHL at 18 - we'll never know, but Gagner is terrible defensively and Edmonton only got a veteran player on a bad contract in return for him.  They only got a 2nd round pick for Andrew Cogliano.  These are the kinds of things that sink franchises.  The Devils have the framework for a good defense going forward - they have to support that, not throw it away.

Edited by Triumph

If we're picking 3 or lower and if there's not an acceptable trade to be made, you have to draft Hannifin if he's available.  I'd say Kylington too, but Swedish players just freak me out at this point.  If that's what happens, I imagine Gelinas gets traded for the best Lou can find.  At that point, the future D would be Larrsson-Merrill; Greene-Severson; Hannifin/Kylington-Santini.  That's pretty damn good, especially if you're not convinced that the forwards in the draft not named McDavid or Eichel will be bona fide first liners. 

It's also pretty obvious that's what Lou's thinking is.  He said it when he drafted Jacobs that he wanted to draft as many forwards as possible, but Jacobs was too good to pass up. 

I just don't think I can support the BPA philosophy at this point. We are absolutely loaded with d prospects. Even if a few of them don't make it up we still have plenty of them in the system.

We need forward prospects at any cost. We need to make trades to get us more draft picks and rebuild this team the way it got all of it's success to begin with.

The Devils have the framework for a good defense going forward - they have to support that, not throw it away.

Not sure what you mean by this.  Do you feel that the Devils are developing their defensemen correctly, that drafting another defenseman would interfere with that, or something else? 

With Edmonton, I'd say they've been more unlucky than incompetent with their young talent.  Notwithstanding their injuries, Hall, RNH and Eberle are all excellent or at least very good players, and they didn't pass up on any obviously better players, but they just didn't happen to be in a position to draft a Tavares, McKinnon, Drouin, Crosby or Malkin.  Yakupov has been disappointing for sure, but that seems like more of a Daigle situation where it was just a case that all the evaluators got it wrong (although some people will tell you he's not as bad as others think).  

Gagner might have been a good player, but it seems hard to believe that being brought up so young is what went wrong with him.    Wasn't Tom Renney his coach for a couple years?  If anything he wasn't the run and gun type of coach. 

if your scouting department evaluates a defenseman head and shoulders above the next avaliable forward, you take the BPA. I dont care how bad our forward crop is...if its a coin flip, sure, go need

btw how does this jagr thing effect his trade value? any word on him

If we're picking top 5 I just don't see how there could be that much of a difference. We need a forward that is projected to go top 5 more than we need a defender projected to go top 5. If we were picking anywhere from 10-30 I can agree with BPA. We need to take a chance on forwards.

Where do you see any thread not being filled with negative comments these days? 

Lay off the bashing, if your V@gina is filled with sand don't take it out on the internet, just wash it buddy.

Solid chirp (fart sound)

The thread is titled "A Plan To Try To Right The Ship." Fact of the matter is at no point in this thread was anyone asking to hear your negative rant that we've all heard 100 times. Maybe I am the idiot for taking the bait, but for fvcks sake this place is getting unreadable. 

This CLEARLY is not a thread about how terrible drafting among other factors got us into this position. Everyone who has ever viewed this board knows EXACTLY how you feel about things. We can't even have a single positive thread going here. You're getting to the point of trolling. "Good to have a plan but still a terrible team?" No sh!t, Sherlock. The whole purpose of the thread is to talk about how that can be turned around.

This thread is to talk about potential scenarios for next year, not about what went wrong before.  There are 12 other threads in which to spread those ideas, Sterio, please do not infect this thread with them.

Daniel:  When I talk about supporting the defense, I mean the Devils can't just not fill holes and try to lose for a few years.  Players like Severson, Merrill, and Larsson are too valuable to let die on the vine and that's what's likely to happen if the Devils don't start fixing stuff soon.  That's what Edmonton did with Gagner and Cogliano and to an extent Hemsky and Penner - they weren't able to surround these players with enough talent.  That's getting into permanent rebuild stuff.  Gagner was not helped at all by Edmonton management - maybe he just doesn't have the ability to play defense, but I'm skeptical of that.  He may have been rushed.

jag:  Yes, this is the draft where you'd want more than one 1st, but I'm not sure they get one even if they deal Jagr - I'd rather try to deal Jagr for a prospect regardless.  1st round pick would be nice but like I said above, I think they've got the ability to turn this around quickly if they're shrewd and get a break in the draft this year.

Solid chirp (fart sound)

The thread is titled "A Plan To Try To Right The Ship." Fact of the matter is at no point in this thread was anyone asking to hear your negative rant that we've all heard 100 times. Maybe I am the idiot for taking the bait, but for fvcks sake this place is getting unreadable. 

This CLEARLY is not a thread about how terrible drafting among other factors got us into this position. Everyone who has ever viewed this board knows EXACTLY how you feel about things. We can't even have a single positive thread going here. You're getting to the point of trolling. "Good to have a plan but still a terrible team?" No sh!t, Sherlock. The whole purpose of the thread is to talk about how that can be turned around.

It is difficult to go forward without learning, digesting and understanding how we got to this point.

I might suggest that you don't accept we have a major problem that will take years to fix. Assuming you want to have a highly competitive team.

It is difficult to go forward without learning, digesting and understanding how we got to this point.

I might suggest that you don't accept we have a major problem that will take years to fix. Assuming you want to have a highly competitive team.

I understand everything you are saying and you're right. But this isn't the place for it. There have been countless threads derailed over the same argument.

You have to understand: SD used to be a great poster. Parise left and he went off the deep end yet to return. Any chance to bash anything about Lou and management in ANY thread will be taken.

It was good to see a positive thread here these days, yet we can't make it three pages without getting hearing crap about how the Devils are terrible now. 

If the Devils have no chance to make the playoffs, I would trade Ryder and Jagr and retain some of there money in the hope for a higher draft pick. I would trade Gelinas for another prospect or a late first rounder.   I would see how much it would cost to keep Brunner, I think he is a good third line player, if too much trade him also.  To me its all about getting as many draft picks that I can and maybe trading some of those picks to move up in the draft.

I understand everything you are saying and you're right. But this isn't the place for it. There have been countless threads derailed over the same argument.

You have to understand: SD used to be a great poster. Parise left and he went off the deep end yet to return. Any chance to bash anything about Lou and management in ANY thread will be taken.

It was good to see a positive thread here these days, yet we can't make it three pages without getting hearing crap about how the Devils are terrible now. 

I understand what you are saying, but today most threads are negative because the" Devils are terrible now" don't you agree? As for SD, yes he keeps posting the same thing  but that doesn't make it wrong just annoying to keep reading the same thing knowing it is correct.

I understand what you are saying, but today most threads are negative because the" Devils are terrible now" don't you agree? As for SD, yes he keeps posting the same thing  but that doesn't make it wrong just annoying to keep reading the same thing knowing it is correct.

Stick around here for a bit and it'll get old fast. Yes, the board is negative because so are the Devils. However, it doesn't need to be tossed into every thread. I opened this thread and it was refreshing to evaluate the Devils options, not take a crap on them for ending up here. Regardless, this is my last post in this thread referring to the topic. 

Looking at next year, I don't think we have any of the prospect blueliners ready to break through. Santini and Jacobs will be in college. Does Lou sign another defensive minded defensemen in the Salvador mold or can that be Helgeson?

Stick around here for a bit and it'll get old fast. Yes, the board is negative because so are the Devils. However, it doesn't need to be tossed into every thread. I opened this thread and it was refreshing to evaluate the Devils options, not take a crap on them for ending up here. Regardless, this is my last post in this thread referring to the topic.

Looking at next year, I don't think we have any of the prospect blueliners ready to break through. Santini and Jacobs will be in college. Does Lou sign another defensive minded defensemen in the Salvador mold or can that be Helgeson?

I think Helgeson is in an extended tryout for that position, but in the end Lou will go for a veteran presence with the departure of Sal and maybe zidlicky. That would leave Greene as the only veteran

Solid chirp (fart sound)

Yeah and just ignore my post about all the centers available in this draft that we could pick.

Plus to turn it around and look to the future we have to see and understand the tendencies and paterns behind Lou's logic. We can make dream scenarios sure, its all fun. But at the end of the day it has to be realistic.

Few years ago we were in the same position saying we should stock on forwards.... A great forward that a few guys here were high on was gonna fall on our lap, what happened? We traded down for another dman. Lou just couldnt help it.

Dont get me wrong i get the whole... Annoyingness of my comments, but again, to see the future we have to see a patern and theres clearly one.

the scary thing is the devils almost have to be awful so lou doesn't have any thought that there is a chance at the playoffs. assuming the devils are 5 points or more out of the playoffs, come the all-star break, then brunner, jagr, ryder, zidlicky and havlat have to be dealt for ANYTHING. i don't want to hear that there wasn't a deal to be made.