GDT: 12/4/14 New Jersey 76ers vs. the team that will beat them

CarpathianForest

Merrill is so impressive... his skating, IQ and vision top, 2 D guy

other notes: Devs have $32 Million in cap salaries off the ice  (injuried or sick)

jufv40.jpg

Let's see them have another couple of games like this before we judge.  It's not like Gionta and Bernier are going to score every night unless Pete found a time machine and we're back in 2012.

Let's see them have another couple of games like this before we judge.  It's not like Gionta and Bernier are going to score every night unless Pete found a time machine and we're back in 2012.

hey, we still had 3 non gionta/bernier goals ;-)

Sislo provided some nice energy

and say what you will about Gelinas defensive play, but he only played his 82nd game today (1 full NHL season) and he has 10 goals and 28 assists. That's not an insignificant total.

I unfortunately couldn't watch tonight, so I'm bummed that I missed a good one.

Does anyone have any comments on Josefson lately? Since he's been in the lineup regularly, he has definitely looked good, but he really needs to start producing soon. I saw he got 15 minutes tonight, so now is the time. He's got to take advantage of the injuries and show that he can be an effective offensive threat. I don't know what it is. I get that he doesn't shoot much, so he won't be scoring many goals, but he's created some good chances, and nothing's going in for him.

Does anyone have any comments on Josefson lately? Since he's been in the lineup regularly, he has definitely looked good, but he really needs to start producing soon. I saw he got 15 minutes tonight, so now is the time. He's got to take advantage of the injuries and show that he can be an effective offensive threat. I don't know what it is. I get that he doesn't shoot much, so he won't be scoring many goals, but he's created some good chances, and nothing's going in for him.

And nothing ever will. He's just a poor finisher and a mediocre passer. Not good with the puck, period.

He's just not an offensive player.  He's a good 4th line player, he skates well, he kills penalties, he has a head for the game, but he's just not doing enough offensively to be thought of as a top 9 guy.

He's just not an offensive player. He's a good 4th line player, he skates well, he kills penalties, he has a head for the game, but he's just not doing enough offensively to be thought of as a top 9 guy.

I think he can be 3rd line center, maybe not on this team since the team has so little finishing capability. He has a lot of tools that you want in a player.

They were down two men and Cory made a couple of great saves. Please don't tell me you're blaming that last one on Cory.

No of course not. In fact, I'm one of his biggest supporters. I know he can be elite and I'm clamoring for him to show it. Making saves he's not supposed to make, controlling rebounds etc. It's a tall task considering his current roster but he's capable

Apparently Ray Ferraro on TSN was blasting the Devils nonstop about trapping, their awful offense, and how they can never score 4 or 5 goals. He also said Henrique had a bad start to the season which is nuts, hes been great all year. I mean we get it, the Devils offense is terrible but they did score at least 4 goals in three of their last five or six games. Moron.

My memory of hockey begins in 99-00, and I honestly think the roster tonight was the worst one I've ever seen. They played well apparently, I only caught a bit on the radio, but can anyone remember a more patchwork, sloppy, untalented team in the last fifteen years? Also, was this a first for henrique wearing a letter?

My memory of hockey begins in 99-00, and I honestly think the roster tonight was the worst one I've ever seen. They played well apparently, I only caught a bit on the radio, but can anyone remember a more patchwork, sloppy, untalented team in the last fifteen years? Also, was this a first for henrique wearing a letter?

I believe it is his first time he got it from Elias. Cammy got his from Zajac and has worn it 3 times.

No of course not. In fact, I'm one of his biggest supporters. I know he can be elite and I'm clamoring for him to show it. Making saves he's not supposed to make, controlling rebounds etc. It's a tall task considering his current roster but he's capable

He hasn't been OMG awesome, but not too many goalies would on this team.  Shooters get some big-time opportunities on the Devils.  Overall I think he's been better than people give him credit for. 

The roster in 2001 (believe it or not), there was a stretch of games that saw a lot of the teams' forwards out (I think the flu might have played a part)...that's when Pierre Dagenais and Jiri Bicek were called up.  That roster felt pretty gutted, and they predictably slumped (though Dagenais and Bicek both had a nice game, each one scoring a goal in a 2-0 win over the Leafs).  Yeah, last night's on-paper team though was pretty hard on the eyes. 

Apparently Ray Ferraro on TSN was blasting the Devils nonstop about trapping, their awful offense, and how they can never score 4 or 5 goals. He also said Henrique had a bad start to the season which is nuts, hes been great all year. I mean we get it, the Devils offense is terrible but they did score at least 4 goals in three of their last five or six games. Moron.

Idiot.  Yes Ray, the Devils aren't very good this year.  How insightful.  Henrique has not been part of the problem.  If you're going to rip the Devils, at least rip the right players. 

Idiot.  Yes Ray, the Devils aren't very good this year.  How insightful.  Henrique has not been part of the problem.  If you're going to rip the Devils, at least rip the right players. 

He probably was too lazy to realize Henrique missed several games.  Fifteen points doesn't look great if you're only taking a glance at the statline unless you realize he's only played nineteen games as opposed to twenty-six.

lol, read the first dozen posts in the thread, Carp isn't the only one with a cynical outlook (I'm usually as positive as they come!) Plus, recent GDT's have been positive in nature and look what the results were... Maybe we need to change the GDT mojo to see different results!

Carp your GDT worked- you better do one tomorrow.

Have to admit, Schnieder has been scaring the hell out of me, he makes saves in to crazy scrambles becuase he has no idea where the puck is and ends up leaving hte puck sitting inthe crease for no reason, that never happened w/ marty, hed make a save and just sit on the puck, Cory flops all over looking for it when it was under him to begin with and then the cazines ensues.

he is scaring me...

Ferraro is easily the best game announcer in hockey, and I watched the first and second periods and didn't hear any blasting or discussion about the trap. He mentioned a few underwhelming Devils, but also talked about some really underrated players an their young D.

He wasn't so nice about Brunner's game, but that's after another sh!tty shift, and he reported that Deboer got right into Brunner's face at the bench and absolutely reamed him out for "not moving his feet in the defensive zone"

It's easy to know being in the NY area that the Devils are struggling, but it's a pretty under-reported story around the league. The Devils are very irrelevant right now.

I think he can be 3rd line center, maybe not on this team since the team has so little finishing capability. He has a lot of tools that you want in a player.

yeah, I think so too. he a real good skater and I wouldnt call him bad on the puck at all. he one of the few devils who can make space for himself  in the O zone with his flashy skates. even is becoming a decent deep cycler and he gets up and down on the back check

but yeah outside of a breakaway he cant score to save his life

Edited by EdgeControl

Sour grapes.

I'd be pissed too if a team of old, spare, and likely rusty parts beat my team.  Not only beat - but embarrassed.

It's easy to know being in the NY area that the Devils are struggling, but it's a pretty under-reported story around the league. The Devils are very irrelevant right now.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better, or worse.

Ferraro is easily the best game announcer in hockey, and I watched the first and second periods and didn't hear any blasting or discussion about the trap. He mentioned a few underwhelming Devils, but also talked about some really underrated players an their young D.

He wasn't so nice about Brunner's game, but that's after another sh!tty shift, and he reported that Deboer got right into Brunner's face at the bench and absolutely reamed him out for "not moving his feet in the defensive zone"

On one of the highlights from last night's game you can hear Ferraro say 'The Devils aren't going to score 4 or 5 goals' which is funny because A: they scored 4 last Friday and B: they ended up scoring 5 tonight.  

Carp your GDT worked- you better do one tomorrow.

This. Same title too.

On one of the highlights from last night's game you can hear Ferraro say 'The Devils aren't going to score 4 or 5 goals' which is funny because A: they scored 4 last Friday and B: they ended up scoring 5 tonight.

I liked Ray Ferraro as a player... I can't stand him as an analyst. He makes definitive statements like that all the time. Most of the time, he ends up looking and sounding like an idiot.