Official "Marty Watch" Thread

Neb00rs

Perhaps Elliot is on track to return sooner. The whole thing was strange to begin with. The Blues have good goaltending, and Brodeur playing often would really complicate things. Of course this is something they should have known before signing him. Definitely don't think they are shopping Allen.

It's going to be weird seeing Brodeur on another team this season.

The thing that really confuses me is that Hitch (who has himself been strange about all this) said Marty isn't there to backup. 

Perhaps the truth is that Marty just wasn't getting any phone calls and this is the first one he got and planned to launch back into the league with the Blues as a starting point. It just doesn't bode well for Marty that a goalie with a .907 save percentage over many more games than him, is starting three straight.

The one thing to note is that the Blues got somewhat burned in trading a good prospect for Halak or maybe that's their perception since he didn't perform well in the playoffs. So perhaps the idea is to try and do the reverse and sell high on one goalie when you have two good ones, especially when one of them is quite young. And it's right around the time that Edmonton -- who really doesn't have a long term solution in net -- is saying no one on their roster is untouchable.

The problem here is I think it's still far from a sure thing that Allen will be a good goalie.

Yeah, I think Elliott is the guy on the block and they are seeing if Allen can handle being a starter.  I don't think they are just going to boot Brodeur out the door here.

Why would they chance that though? What happens if it turns out that Allen can't handle being a starter? It's not like they are going to decide that Marty is their future and sign him to a long term deal.

Edited by Neb00rs

Just saw the highlights- it was indeed ugly. But the center ice goal did take a crazy bounce.

Forget that goal, some are fluky. Marty made his usual number of big saves but let in his usual goals he shouldn't have.

Edited by Neb00rs

Forget that goal, some are fluky. Marty made his usual number of big saves but let in his usual goals he shouldn't have.

Which was basically his last couple years here.  I thought he still had something left after his first couple starts but clearly I was wrong.  Doesn't help they sat him for so long after his intial surge but still, Allen's their future anyway.

Which was basically his last couple years here.  I thought he still had something left after his first couple starts but clearly I was wrong.  Doesn't help they sat him for so long after his intial surge but still, Allen's their future anyway.

It's too small a sample size, but the problem remains the same...some will make excuses for him, but the fact is that, save for a couple of nice surges the past two seasons, pucks just elude Marty at too high of a rate to be acceptable.  Sure, flukey things can happen, but man that center-ice bouncer was sad and painful to watch.  The Blues do have a couple of  back-to-backs coming up (12/29-12/30 and 1/2-1/3), so Marty will probably get another start or two...but if he doesn't play well, that might be it for him.

Brodeur was bad last night. Like very bad (Yes the save on Justin Williams was sweet). It isn't just the bad goals, it's his positioning after a save, his recovery time, etc. But he did let in some pretty ugly goals last night, and I i'm not even talking about 6th one.

Wasn't fun to see, and you might not see Marty for a while.

Edited by devilsrule33

Just saw the Carter goal. 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeff+carter+goal+on+brodeur&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=B36D326D9258F9D4603BB36D326D9258F9D4603B

Yeah, the sixth goal was rough (though due more to a fluky bounce...I remember John Madden scoring a similar goal on Stephane Fiset (12/15/99...looked up the date)), but crazy sh!t like that happens.  But the Carter goal was a lot tougher to watch.  Marty just looked ancient on that one...like Tri said, he can't get across anymore. 

Brodeur was bad last night. Like very bad (Yes the save on Justin Williams was sweet). It isn't just the bad goals, it's his positioning after a save, his recovery time, etc. But he did let in some pretty ugly goals last night, and I i'm not even talking about 6th one.

Wasn't fun to see, and you might not see Marty for a while.

His angles are terrible. His reaction time looked really bad last night, too. And like you said, his recovery time is lengthy. In other words, he's pretty bad as a goaltender. 

When (if?) he gets his next start, if he falters, I wonder if he says something along the lines of "Well, it's tough to have so much time in between starts..."

He never really had to deal with prolonged inactivity between appearances until last season, and it's probably still not an easy adjustment for him, but at some point, if you're Marty, you gotta look at the tapes and realize "Maybe I just don't have it and won't get it back no matter how hard I try."

When (if?) he gets his next start, if he falters, I wonder if he says something along the lines of "Well, it's tough to have so much time in between starts..."

He never really had to deal with prolonged inactivity between appearances until last season, and it's probably still not an easy adjustment for him, but at some point, if you're Marty, you gotta look at the tapes and realize "Maybe I just don't have it and won't get it back no matter how hard I try."

Haha I snarked about this in my last post but then took it out.  I don't think he will do that.  He may do that if he and the Blues part ways.

..he might. But the media\fans will always take things out of context. That's their nature.

There was a mini-tantrum last night on HF regarding Hitchcock's postgame comments.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jprutherford/status/545838745644052480

It was a combination of alot of things. But when you score four goals, you should be able to win a hockey game on the road. --Ken Hitchcock

..again, do I think he's talking about Marty here? --who knows? But in an age of public forums\twitter\internet message boards, quotes are more open for interpretation\disection.

Marty has a 2-2 record. .883 save percentage with goals against average of 3.59

..alot of that came from last night.. but to be fair, he allowed 7 goals over 7 periods before last nights game, so.. I think it's safe to say that: If you want to win a hockey game with Brodeur, you REALLY need to score at least 4 goals to have a chance.

But yeah.. 13 goals allowed over 3½ games, probably persuades Hitch to ride with Allen for the next 6-7 games.

Edited by Beezer34