Brunner clears waivers- PDB says their relationship is over

ghdi

He's not loafing.  He's just not smart enough of a player.  He has 13 goals in 77 games as a Devil and that includes power play time.  I mean, obviously if the Devils were throwing in the towel on the season I wouldn't mind him sticking around just to see what he has, but he hasn't got much.

but that's not a massive sample, and he's played most of his career overseas. He's only played 121 NHL games and has the skillset, and he's still getting acclimated to NHL hockey. Giving up on him now is just too early.

Do we really want to be taking speed off this team? Did you see Ryder skating like Holik in his final Devils year last night? Brunner has an element to his game that few others have as a Devil

Edited by '7'

I want to like Brunner but he doesn't help in the defensive zone and has little ability to use his teammates in the offensive zone.

He has some great physical tools but tries to beat 3 guys at once too often and turns the puck over.

I'm not sure waiving him helps the team but I'm not sure it doesn't either. This may be part of the Devils getting tougher on the players instead of being relaxed.

I hate to use a basketball analogy, but he reminds of the kind of guy everybody loved and "oohed" and "ahhed" in the street/pickup games where everything was fast-paced and you could just play in a bubble.

I understand why Lou took a flyer on him and being worried about the offense last year after the Kovy debacle, but I was never a fan of the 2 year deal, especially when he had very few offers except for going back to the Swiss League or the SEL for much less money anyway.

Thankfully he's off the books along with Ryder, Salvador, Zidlicky, Havlat this summer.

He's not good at all out of the offensive zone.  He can lead a rush up the ice but he lacks any defensive awareness and positioning.  He also misses a lot of easy shots, despite taking quite a few. I don't like his shot recognition.

He actually reminds me a bit of Tedenby in that respect.

I believe it was mentioned on TSN that Deboer screamed at him for a solid minute or two on the bench last night.  And it was not the "inspirational" kind of yelling.  More of the "chastising" kind.

Well fine then. But Peter DeBoer is the one who's truly looked lost the past 2 years. Somebody needs to yell at him and put him on waivers.

but that's not a massive sample, and he's played most of his career overseas. He's only played 121 NHL games and has the skillset, and he's still getting acclimated to NHL hockey. Giving up on him now is just too early.

Do we really want to be taking speed off this team? Did you see Ryder skating like Holik in his final Devils year last night? Brunner has an element to his game that few others have as a Devil

Speed is an asset when it is tied into actually using it in the framework of an attack and/or possession.  This is a team game, not a one man sprint from end to end.  Brunner would excel in that I'm sure.  

We all love speed, but Brunner seemed clueless at times.

If he goes, it's a step to bringing someone else in, eventually.  I'm gonna assume Clowe never comes back, but Jagr should be back next game and Elias should be back sometime soon, if Brunner's gone that gives the team something like:

Elias-Gomez-Jagr

Cammalleri-Zajac-Ryder

Ruutu-Henrique-Sislo?

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

I dunno where Havlat fits into this.

Well fine then. But Peter DeBoer is the one who's truly looked lost the past 2 years. Somebody needs to yell at him and put him on waivers.

No disagreement here.  Lou should be on that waiver wire himself.  While he might point to the Cammalleri signing as a success, the rest of his roster management has been abysmal.

He's 29 years old in March.  He might be a good player in the right situation but this isn't the right situation.  And no, I don't love the idea of taking speed off the team, but at least while Gomez won't score ever he will be playing better in the neutral zone and across the blueline than Brunner ever could.

Edited by Triumph

If he goes, it's a step to bringing someone else in, eventually.  I'm gonna assume Clowe never comes back, but Jagr should be back next game and Elias should be back sometime soon, if Brunner's gone that gives the team something like:

Elias-Gomez-Jagr

Cammalleri-Zajac-Ryder

Ruutu-Henrique-Sislo?

Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

I dunno where Havlat fits into this.

I'd like to see Ryder chopped off soon.  Zubrus probably has to wait until the offseason.  Bernier has played much better since he's been back but I don't want him here next year either.  Sslo, Gionta, and maybe a Ruutu would be a 4th line I can live with.

Where is Ruutu by the way?

FYI, Jeremy Morin is apparently asking for a trade out of Chicago.  If the price is cheap, I'd take a flyer on him the rest of the year.  

He's 29 years old in March.  He's a good player in the right situation but this isn't the right situation.  And no, I don't love the idea of taking speed off the team, but at least while Gomez won't score ever he will be playing better in the neutral zone and across the blueline than Brunner ever could.

Exactly.  The fact that Deboer has elevated Gomez so quickly and given him a lot of time/latitude speaks volumes of our situation (even ignoring the injuries which gave Gomez his "in").

Lamoriello cont: "...There’s a line. When you reach that line, then your talk doesn’t do it. So, now, there has to be decisions.”

LOL.  I' guessing he doesn't hold himself to such a standard then, huh.

As I have said one or two times before:

- The idea of what a Damien Brunner type player is something this team needs (some speed and skill). But he just hasn't done anything in a Devils uniform and is a liability in the defensive zone and adding nothing offensively. After last year, I kept saying, maybe he needed more time in the system, maybe he was off, but it's the same sh!t with him. There could be potential somewhere else, I wouldn't bet on it...it just wasn't happening in NJ.

As I have said one or two times before:

- The idea of what a Damien Brunner type player is something this team needs (some speed and skill). But he just hasn't done anything in a Devils uniform and is a liability in the defensive zone and adding nothing offensively. After last year, I kept saying, maybe he needed more time in the system, maybe he was off, but it's the same sh!t with him. There could be potential somewhere else, I wouldn't bet on it...it just wasn't happening in NJ.

Its especially not gonna  happen with a coach yelling at him and nailing him to the bench when he makes a mistakes. Those kind of players if you stress them they are certainly not gonna play any better, they'll play scared of making mistakes and it's not better

Its especially not gonna  happen with a coach yelling at him and nailing him to the bench when he makes a mistakes. Those kind of players if you stress them they are certainly not gonna play any better, they'll play scared of making mistakes and it's not better

That'a laughable. People here have been wanting to see Deboer have some fire in him, and when there is the first documented showing of it, now it's the coaches fault.

It's fvcking Damien Brunner. He has had so many chances on good lines, PP units. It just wasn't happening here. 

Something more to the story than meets the eye. I have to believe we could have at least gotten something for him.

It sounds personal, I believe there is something to that.

Not sure why so many of you are upset by this though. It's not too hard to replace someone who is a constant disappointment.

That'a laughable. People here have been wanting to see Deboer have some fire in him, and when there is the first documented showing of it, now it's the coaches fault.

It's fvcking Damien Brunner. He has had so many chances on good lines, PP units. It just wasn't happening here. 

Its not laughable. Deboer is not good at developing players like that. Deboer certainly look like the guy who wants you to do exactly what his Xs and Os drawing are. If you do things you're way he's not gonna like it. Why do you think he loves vets and players like Gionta that much? cause they do exactly what he wants by default

This completely.  The guy constantly is a healthy scratch.  I had high hopes when they got Brunner but there was a reason he was a PTO and begged Lou to match what he was offered from Detroit to save face.

I love the fire from Petey.  Maybe they won't give up 2 goal leads if he starts benching people.

Its not laughable. Deboer is not good at developing players like that. Deboer certainly look like the guy who wants you to do exactly what his Xs and Os drawing are. If you do things you're way he's not gonna like it. Why do you think he loves vets and players like Gionta that much? cause they do exactly what he wants by default

Yeah, who cares about playing within a system or structure; that always gets teams in trouble. >.>

There are reasons for it and sure deviating from them with some creativity every once in a while can be a good thing.  But when you can't play the system in the first place, it'll never work out.

Edited by themightyall