Brunner clears waivers- PDB says their relationship is over

ghdi

I think he's making too much money to be Olesz'd.  I think they'll trade him and pick up part of the salary.  DeBoer and Lou both make it sound like this is the end of the road for him in New Jersey.  Worst case scenario is they let him go back to Switzerland playing under his current contract which would still carry a 1.5xM cap charge to NJ - they could probably get the Swiss team to pick up some of the contract, but certainly not all of it.

Accountability has finally arrived? Moved Zajac from  first line to third line. Healthy scratched Ryder. Waived Brunner, then DeBoer says "it didn't work." We are slightly over 1/4 of the season and finally accountability but there is still more to go around with the other players. Lou and Pete have to take some accountability as well. Did you realized we are second from the bottom with the number of shots per game? Only Buffalo is below us. Chicago is the highest and has 36.5 shots/game and we have I think 25.5/game, Buffalo 24.5/game. If they take more shots maybe they will score more goals but certainly not shots from the blue line.

I think this is a sign from Lou that he has faith in Pete and a message to the players that they will be the first out the door and not the coach.

I agree with you. Pete has been playing the young guys as well. He went with Merrill last season, He went with Severson this season. When he would have kept Harrold as a vet who was playing well he took Helgeson instead. He played Josefson and sat Ryder. He plays Gelinas but deep down he know Gelinas isn't a defensive NHL quality player, if he had a replacement Gelinas would be in Albany.

Brunner has had plenty of chances.  He's not 21, he's 28. The Devils want him to be good, the problem is that he is not good.  And yes, coaches - not DeBoer, coaches - like players who give a 100% effort every night because they don't need to be questioned and benched and cajoled into playing well.  

Exactly if you want to see Brunner jr. just watch Jason Akseon of the Lehigh Phantoms. Nearly a clone.

I agree with you. Pete has been playing the young guys as well. He went with Merrill last season, He went with Severson this season. When he would have kept Harrold as a vet who was playing well he took Helgeson instead. He played Josefson and sat Ryder. He plays Gelinas but deep down he know Gelinas isn't a defensive NHL quality player, if he had a replacement Gelinas would be in Albany.

That's ignoring the waiver situation with Gelinas

I understood signing Brunner at the time, though the Devils didn't need to go two years...they were bidding against themselves at that point. He got plenty of chances...he just didn't do nearly enough with them.

There's a contingent of Devils fans who seem content with blaming everyone except the player himself when that player doesn't succeed.

I understood signing Brunner at the time, though the Devils didn't need to go two years...they were bidding against themselves at that point. He got plenty of chances...he just didn't do nearly enough with them.

There's a contingent of Devils fans who seem content with blaming everyone except the player himself when that player doesn't succeed.

Can you imagine if Brunner had scored 20 goals last year and the Devils had to re-sign him after that?  Going 2 years on him was just fine - it's not like he is blocking better options in the minors, or really stopped them from investigating free agents.  They took a gamble and lost a little, but they could've won big if he was the guy they saw in preseason and the first few games of last year.

Can you imagine if Brunner had scored 20 goals last year and the Devils had to re-sign him after that?  Going 2 years on him was just fine - it's not like he is blocking better options in the minors, or really stopped them from investigating free agents.  They took a gamble and lost a little, but they could've won big if he was the guy they saw in preseason and the first few games of last year.

It was a worthy gamble, but let's not hide or sugarcoat the fact it was made or predicated on the fact there was nothing else to gamble on in our system thanks to our terrific scouting/development.

It was a worthy gamble, but let's not hide or sugarcoat the fact it was made or predicated on the fact there was nothing else to gamble on in our system thanks to our terrific scouting/development.

No one is hiding or sugarcoating that.  That's why it's a good gamble.

No one is hiding or sugarcoating that.  That's why it's a good gamble.

Quite a few on this board actually were in denial (not directing it at you personally).

what sucks is for example the pittsburgh game... eventhough he's not great defensively he's one of the 2 players out of the whole team who came this close to score and at least give us one point.

i mean i get the whole "if you're bad defensively you could hurt the team" but on the other hand all we seem to have is guys who can play a good defensive system but they can't score" thats not any better if you think about it. If someone makes a mistake that creates a chances there will always be the goalie as a safety net. If we can create chances... nobody is gonna score for us lol

Edited by SterioDesign

what sucks is for example the pittsburgh game... eventhough he's not great defensively he's one of the 2 players out of the whole team who came this close to score and at least give us one point.

i mean i get the whole "if you're bad defensively you could hurt the team" but on the other hand all we seem to have is guys who can play a good defensive system but they can't score" thats not any better if you think about it. If someone makes a mistake that creates a chances there will always be the goalie as a safety net. If we can create chances... nobody is gonna score for us lol

Brunner scored 13 goals here in 77 games.  He played a lot on the power play, and his most common forward linemate last year was Patrik Elias.  That's not good enough.

Brunner scored 13 goals here in 77 games.  He played a lot on the power play, and his most common forward linemate last year was Patrik Elias.  That's not good enough.

of course but he was getting 2.5m for 2 seasons... what player has been "good enough" for us? (well the above 1million guys) 

Last 2 seasons so far:

Brunner 2.5m - 13g in 77

Zubrus 3.1m - 15g in 109

Clowe 4.8m - 8g in 46

Zajac 5.7m - 22g in 103

Henrique 4m - 32g in 96

Elias 5.5m - 20g in 90

Jagr 3.5 - 28g in 108

Ryder 3.5 - 22g in 107

Ruutu 3.5 - 8g in 45

to me Henrique and Jagr are the only 2 that did alright based on what they should be bringing

of course but he was getting 2.5m for 2 seasons... what player has been "good enough" for us? (well the above 1million guys)

Last 2 seasons so far:

Brunner 2.5m - 13g in 77

Zubrus 3.1m - 15g in 109

Clowe 4.8m - 8g in 46

Zajac 5.7m - 22g in 103

Henrique 4m - 32g in 96

Elias 5.5m - 20g in 90

Jagr 3.5 - 28g in 108

Ryder 3.5 - 22g in 107

Ruutu 3.5 - 8g in 45

to me Henrique and Jagr are the only 2 that did alright based on what they should be bringing

Based on those numbers, one could argue that Brunner's was one of the better deals. He produced more per dollar than a lot of guys on that list.

And allow me to add this...if we are going to start waiving guys who "aren't working out", half of our Albany roster will be up with the Devils soon. And I'm not sure I am against that.

Edited by mfitz804