STH "Fan Council"

sundstrom

The problem with the 3d thing is why only use it for the intros? Why not have different things on it for in between periods and if we actually win a game.

It's just laziness

Also why the hell do we have 4 sets of back to back home games? It's awful for season ticket holders and walk ups. I don't want to go to back to back to home games. It's the absolute worst.

The latter complaint is not controlled by the team.  That's the NHL.

It's something the team should be bitching about to the league though because it hurts their attendance. 1 set of back to back home games is ok but 4 is absurd.

We are not the only team that has to deal with it and we are an EC team that's clustered with a whole bunch of teams nearby.  It's partially due to location and ease of scheduling comparative to travel considerations that they face in moving around the WC teams).

Thanks for the update and kudos for you taking the time to get involved. I was thinking about getting into corporate sales for the team earlier this year. I opted not to pursue it because frankly, it just doesn't pay enough for the effort that is going to be needed to right that area of business.  I am always amazed why the corporate partners even buy the suites in the first place with the current value it provides, especially in such a fiscally conservative corporate world.    Some of the ideas you have talked about should have been implemented long ago...seems like they may be moving down the right path. 

I predict a cut in pricing for renewals if this team is not in a position to make the playoffs.  That is a bold one, but I can see a mass exodus if this doesn't  happens or even worse, if they happen to raise prices.. all the growth from the last 3 years will be erased instantly.

I do love that they are attempting to listen...always a good first step. However, I would like to see some other ares of the arena represented and I feel bad for you having to even address the YS thing in a meeting like this...different strokes for different folks.(this was NOT a Gary Glitter reference)

Also, for anyone that thinks the fans should be able to give an ounce of input towards how the organization handles it's on ice hockey business, well I am pretty sure we disagree passionately on that topic.

Keep us informed! Thanks again.

They won't cut pricing.  They will try and throw some stuff in that's of little direct overhead cost to them to entice renewals.  But they won't cut prices just to hold onto current customers, when that's effectively a financial loss from simply going and replacing those customers with a new batch at the rate/price they want to generate revenue.

The "hold" strategy in terms of customers is never about you sacrificing your bottom line.  They have been clear that this is a business for them. 

They won't cut pricing.  They will try and throw some stuff in that's of little direct overhead cost to them to entice renewals.  But they won't cut prices just to hold onto current customers, when that's effectively a financial loss from simply going and replacing those customers with a new batch at the rate/price they want to generate revenue.

The "hold" strategy in terms of customers is never about you sacrificing your bottom line.  They have been clear that this is a business for them. 

I bet you see a cut in tiered pricing, especially in the highest ones. I didn't say it was gonna be a big cut.  Sometimes you throw a bone and the consumer feels great about  a small discount there is only so many "add ons" you can give. Maybe they will include an option to play on the 4th line for a game. They are really vulnerable right now and yes, they want to make money, but the cost to replace STH'ers is high, especially ones in the high dollar seats. I see a drop in STH'ers going into 2015. I know if I end up dropping my seats, I'll probably will never have them again.(mine is more for personal life going ons then this AHL team)

I don't see a big gain even possible for STH base. I really think they are close to a plateau. With the on ice product being what it is, I can't help but feel they might need to be ultra aggressive in their pricing. We'll see.

Great post, and frankly their family friendly push is complete garbage. The team is pushing gambling, which in the end is a lot more harmful than a 10 year old hearing you suck.

If they cared to be family friendly they'd play a couple of weekend day games.

Sounds like a typical DFC meeting ( I kid, I kid)

But they (the Devils) are right about the club seat seating being way too large.  I really do not know what JVB and others at the time during planning and construction were thinking.  They really think they had enough fans with enough $ to have almost 20% of the seats as club seating?  They should have had the Fire Lounge 3 sections and the club with the all-you-can eat food while leave the Ice Lounge open to all and just have those seats as higher priced regular seats.  This would satisfy the corporate STH as well as filling up the Ice Lounge clubs which also happen to be the sections that are shown on TV and not make our arena attendance any more pathetic on TV.

I am not going to go after the other STH you were with for not liking the new food (people have different tastes).  But for them to say it is not miles better than Aramark is just them being pouty with the new ownership. 

The whole "keeping the STH value" thing was crap from the beginning.  You are right by saying they didn't want to continue the JVB tradition of giving tickets away to fill up the arena.  We already have enough fans who have been conditioned from years of that to whine about how tickets are expensive when most nights $15-25 gets you inside the building.  Many other fanbases would love to have that.

They need to let go of the goal song and the announcing of the other team's starting lineup.  I mean, what is the point of the starting lineup anyways for all teams other than a way to get pumped up?  It is not like the other sports where those same players play a huge majority of the game.  The guys starting are just going to head to the bench in 1-2 minutes anyways.

Food Changes around the arena: Everyone there was very down on the new food. I disagreed as I think the new food choices have been pretty good as far as arena food goes.

I really don't understand this. I haven't had one lackluster food item yet, and I've tried at least 5 or 6 of the new spots: the Boardwalk, Ironbound, Tony Baloney's, the burger spot downstairs, other places. The selection and quality is miles better than anything we've ever had. I just had a cheesesteak from Tony Baloney's this past Friday. It was delicious, piping hot still, a ton of meat for the value, and nice and spicy too. The cheesesteak alone is a huge improvement from our previous years' options, and doesn't taste like arsenic. I'll never understand how people can complain about the food this year. I don't know on what planet the food situation this year isn't considered a home run of an improvement. Even the beer selections.

Everyone agreed that we didn't care if they discounted tickets to some if we were paying more as long as the building was full. It was acknowledged that "keeping value" for STH was pretty much bullsh!t and they just didn't want to give tickets away. They'd rather have 13k paying customers than 12k paying customers and 3k heavily discounted/free tickets.

Agree 100%. The building has been a mausoleum many times this season so far. I do see them trying to give more discounts and giveaways as we approach late December and January, which should lead to some fuller games. As a STH, I'm starting to hate nothing more than the building being empty and lifeless.

They all thought the 3D intro was useless (i disagreed). 

Man, these people really don't get it. I bring new people to games all the time; that's the nature of season tickets, not everyone's going to make all 41 games. Everyone's blown away by the 3D show in the beginning, that's the point. The point was never to make something new and exciting for people who go to the building 30-40 times a year, that's near impossible.

With the 3-D show, I think it is pretty impressive.  I just wish they would have maybe 5 or 6 in the can and they rotate them so at least it is a few games before you see the same one again.  I think that is more interesting than the same one over and over and more doable than having 41 unique ones.

We have such negative fans and I don't understand it. The food at the arena is good. It's so much better and people are still down on it. I don't get it. What do they want? People are never happy.

This x1,000,000.  The food is a lot better than last year, with a large variety of options.  People just complain for the sake of complaining sometimes.  I don't see how anyone could think that the food last year was better or even the same as what we have this season.

This x1,000,000.  The food is a lot better than last year, with a large variety of options.  People just complain for the sake of complaining sometimes.  I don't see how anyone could think that the food last year was better or even the same as what we have this season.

I agree the food is much better also more expensive. I don't go to the Rock to fill my stomach I go to watch a hockey game that I hope is played well for 60 minutes.

With the 3-D show, I think it is pretty impressive. I just wish they would have maybe 5 or 6 in the can and they rotate them so at least it is a few games before you see the same one again. I think that is more interesting than the same one over and over and more doable than having 41 unique ones.

i agree with this as well.. you would think that after all of the money and time they spent promoting this thay they would have found more ways to be a little more creative with it. Now dont get me wrong iam not complaining i think its great ownership is trying to find ways to enhance the experience of devil games but i think they could certainly get a little more creative with it. ...as far as the good goes i habent eatten enough of it to say its not good it certainly is an improvement thay shouldnt be a question.

I'll chime in to add to the chorus who appreciate the change in the food this season. My wife and I usually have dinner before we get to the arena, but the few things we have tried this year have been better than last year. And the selection is vastly improved. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the increased prices, and of course I totally understand if people are unhappy about paying more. But as others have said, I don't get how anyone could think the food itself is worse than before.

And just as a general comment, I'm really pretty impressed with the new management's efforts to give added value to the STHs via the meet & greets, on-ice photos, etc. I don't personally buy my ticket package because of the extras, and we don't always take advantage of them. But I've always appreciated the effort, and I think it's obvious that the new management has tried to expand those opportunities. (I have several friends who hold Season Tickets for other teams and other sports, and they are consistently amazed at all the extras we get. They get NOTHING other than their tickets.)

Thanks to Sundstrom for keeping us informed about this.