Any Truth?

fsu1852

You eventually have to pay to retain your high end talent. I would take kovy he would be a top 10-15 player in this league from an offensive stand point. This team could easily compete with kovy as the offensive center piece, I think he has been playing extremely well in the KHL this season as well.

That's a different league and level of play not equal. Kovy can be a distraction.

You eventually have to pay to retain your high end talent. I would take kovy he would be a top 10-15 player in this league from an offensive stand point. This team could easily compete with kovy as the offensive center piece, I think he has been playing extremely well in the KHL this season as well.

I wouldn't bet on him being a top 10-15 player.  Like BostonNala said the KHL is not nearly as good as the NHL no matter how much they try to convince us it is.

I wouldn't bet on him being a top 10-15 player.  Like BostonNala said the KHL is not nearly as good as the NHL no matter how much they try to convince us it is.

I didn't say he would be a top 10-15 offensive player because he is playing well in the KHL. I just said it because clearly his bad back isn't an issue this year.

Anyway Kovy is still a great player and he probably wouldn't miss a beat coming back here. I think everyone is just upset that he screwed us over. I wouldn't want him back at an insane contract, but I would define ty want him back. He'd instantly be the best offensive talent on our team.

I didn't say he would be a top 10-15 offensive player because he is playing well in the KHL. I just said it because clearly his bad back isn't an issue this year.

Anyway Kovy is still a great player and he probably wouldn't miss a beat coming back here. I think everyone is just upset that he screwed us over. I wouldn't want him back at an insane contract, but I would define ty want him back. He'd instantly be the best offensive talent on our team.

This. its incredible how many people we're talking about Kovy and Zach as if they were Cadillacs. At the second they left all you could hear about them was negative suddenly. 

Its exactly like the butthurt chick bashing the guy who just dumped her to her friends.

James Mirtle @mirtle

Players are paid in rubles over there, so they've lost roughly 35% of the value of their contracts already. This threatens KHL in a big way.

As I understand it, Kovalchuk plays for the equivalent of the Rangers in the KHL, i.e. a team with an extremely rich owner that will always make money.  And while I don't know what the KHL rules are in this respect (or if they're really enforced), my understanding is that there are all sorts of loopholes for salary restrictions when it comes to luring away big name players from North America.  So it's quite possible that Kovalchuk is being paid in euros or dollars even if the average KHL player isn't.  

He either needs approval from the 29 teams OR to sit out a full year. If his team folds he'd have to sit on his butt for a bit

The only wrinkle is that the NHL by-laws, which is where the rules are for allowing a "retired" to return, provide that the Commissioner is the final arbiter of their interpretation with no right to arbitration or court review.   Theoretically this could make a difference when it comes to what it means for him to have been "sitting out" for a year, e.g. can he not be paid a salary during that time, can he be out of hockey for a year due to an injury even if he's still on a KHL roster, etc.  It would ultimately be up to Bettman to make that decision. 

Edited by Daniel

Even then I am conflicted.  While top flight talent is something that the Devils sorely need I think this will be more of a Band-Aid than a real cure.  I would rather draft high-end talent than paying out of the ass for it.

Oh no I'm in total agreement regarding the draft, I want this team to build through the draft as much as anyone.  

It's just Kovy..well, as Tri will eventually come in here to state, he's apparently not much of a play-driver or whatever.  I don't suspect he'll make the team that much better on his own, but they'd at least be watchable.  Give fans a reason to go to the games.

Oh no I'm in total agreement regarding the draft, I want this team to build through the draft as much as anyone.  

It's just Kovy..well, as Tri will eventually come in here to state, he's apparently not much of a play-driver or whatever.  I don't suspect he'll make the team that much better on his own, but they'd at least be watchable.  Give fans a reason to go to the games.

This is where it's getting ridiculous. We all saw Kovy play, most people had him for the Conn Smyth in case we'd win the cup. He was never great defensively but he got better and was an important asset and was dangerous on the ice. When he was on the ice the other team was playing differently. He made Volchenkov score a few goals for god sakes. He was fighting. He could skate the puck from one end to the other. When we'd NEED a goal in the last minute he could take over the whole game and get a shot on net for sure. The zajac winning goal against florida, the Henrique goal against the rangers, the Pony goal vs the flyers... it was all kovy. When Lemaire took over the team, Kovy was the guy dragging the team on his back.

And suddenly he's sh!t cause Tri's numbers 100% based on shots are saying other wise ? Come on now. 

1 shot by Kovy > 10 shots from this whole team right now. Thats where this sh!t stat is wrong. 

Edited by SterioDesign

That's a different league and level of play not equal. Kovy can be a distraction.

I dont disagree with you about the KHL. But Kovy would be a distraction for about a week or two when he first got back. Then he'd be a New Jersey Devil again and no one would give a sh!t. He wouldn't be going to the Leafs, Habs, or Rags. Kovy was hardly a distraction when he was here the last time around and any perceived distractions (i.e. the Captaincy) were manufactured by this fanbase.

I also don't think those that are butthurt over his leaving still are looking at the full picture. I personally don't think he "left us". I think the KHL came to him (or had an offer on the table the whole time) with an offer that he was intrigued by and the Devils didn't argue with him about it. The timing of it (we were sold to Harris shortly thereafter) etc is all too coincidental and Kovy saved the team in some respects as we got out from under that atrocious and entirely too long contract. Its not a stretch to think that contract was causing conflicts in sale negotiations. Since the NHL don't allow restructuring, this was the only way out.

I would also be fine with Kovy returning if the contract was palatable. That would be the key, not too long (3-4) not too pricy (5-6). I agree with other posters in wanting to get younger etc. but we still need good players on the ice to compete and be somewhat effective. I'm never for tanking and look at a high draft pick as a consolation prize for sucking. Bringing on Kovalchuk within the next year is an automatic upgrade over the majority of our forwards and allows more dead weight to be jettisoned.

But Kovy would be a distraction for about a week or two when he first got back. Then he'd be a New Jersey Devil again and no one would give a sh!t. He wouldn't be going to the Leafs, Habs, or Rags. Kovy was hardly a distraction when he was here the last time around and any perceived distractions (i.e. the Captaincy) were manufactured by this fanbase.

I don't know. I think he'd be the focal topic/question of every press conference before every away game (the away team/city's media). By Devils standards, it'd be a really big distraction.

Edited by DJ Eco

there is a ton of talk around here every so often about this.. but really i don't know why we continue to go back to this until it becomes like some type of real possibility

Exactly.

there is a ton of talk around here every so often about this.. but really i don't know why we continue to go back to this until it becomes like some type of real possibility

Exactly.

While it's a silly thing to discuss, this is what happens when there's little to be positive about with the team. Kovy, whether he's 2011-12 Kovy or 2012-13 Kovy would still be the best offensive talent on the team. Slot him as the RW with Elias and whoever at LW and you now have a respectable top 6 on this team. I don't think it's the difference between what we see now and being a true contender, but I definitely think it would get us into the playoffs.