GDT: 12/9/14 MC Hammer v. MechaGodzilla

CarpathianForest

As others have said the shootout sucks, I know it sound like sour grapes after we lose one but honestly they're not.even exciting anymore... It was a nice change for a while but I might just start turning off the games after overtime.

Last night was the first time this season that my wife and I even stayed for the shootout. I'm so tired of it I don't even care if we win it or not. I mean, obviously I want the team win it and get the second point. I'm just saying that I don't care to watch it, even if we happen to win. It's just the same old thing, over and over and over. There's absolutely nothing compelling about it to me any more, win or lose.

Edited by Brick Pig

Yeah but that was known when he signed him. His whole career he's missed games every season. I still think it's a good signing but given the age/fragility of group that was assembled, Lou knew we would be dealing with injuries. I assume that's why he had Gomez ready to go.

On a side note, I hope Gomez can keep this up but I have a bad feeling he'll start to taper off once the excitement of getting back into the lineup wears off. I went to a game between the Panthers and Hurricanes last year and spent a decent portion of the game focusing on Gomez and he looked totally shot.

Although, it can be said our system is more suited to the old farts. Florida had some really young players, I could see how gassed an older player might be trying to keep up with the speed and lack of discipline (in the system).

Regardless, we'll find out the hard way soon enough, if you're right!

im happy about the point but then i remember where we were 4 years ago, knowing we wouldnt make it and somewhat hoping other teams would win and jump over us so that we'd get a better drafting position...

So eventhough we always want our team to do well... those 1 points could make the difference between getting this guy or this guy.

Pretty clear we're not winning anything with this team now, its all about the future.

Im not even sure what to think anyway... was a nice game and all but this team has been SO frustrating for a long time it's gonna take more than getting one point against the hawks to turn that around

I understand but if you look at the lottery odds, really anything outside of top 4 is a big reach.

Seeing as it's highly unlikely we finish in the top 4 (we just aren't as bad as teams like the canes, oil, etc) the difference between say a #6 pick and a #10 pick is only 4 percentage points.

That was the most exciting game of the year, start to finish. They actually had a jump to their game all 65 minutes, something we haven't seen before. Definitely a reason for hope that we'll turn our play around.

Its silly to talk about draft picks and tanking now. They're 3 points out for christ sake. Nothing to be ashamed of after last night. They definitely don't have any scoring talent, that's clear, but if they actually take the fridge off their backs they look like a tough team to beat.

Again though this makes me hate the shootout even more. An excellent game like this is decided by a corny competition. Imagine after the first OT in the NBA they each chose 3 players to go to free throws? Yeah that's how I feel about the shootout

his season in albany as well as how he finished last year have laid the ground work. you can win games by luck, sure. but his play tonight was not the result of chicago shooting in his chest or kinkaid lucking into saves. his positioning was solid - he made the right reads. he was completely composed. he's earned another start relatively soon and the devils cannot drive cory into the ground.

not that i expect anything this year and want cory fresh for the playoffs or some such nonsense. but this can't be a completely lost year. the devils need to find out about people. they did it last year with merrill (and cory to a lesser extent). so far this year, we're seeing severson. hopefully, once he's done with bird flu, larsson can get back on track and put in a 65 game season.

Listen, I think Cory definitely needs some periodic rest, and I am optimistic about those days after last night's performance. But only time will tell how KK will fare, and you can't base hat on one game. That's all I was saying. 

That being said, I have no idea how many games a quarter of the remaining games is (no idea how many are left or I'd do the math). If we are talking about 15 games from now until finish, I would agree that someone other than Cory needs to start. And I'd run KK out there until he proves he can't handle it. 

The team seemed to have some extra jump and they did, but I really think what you saw was the fastest lineup iced so far this season.

nd i wouldnt count on seeing that regularly.. we have all seen the inconsistency with this team, last night i have to say was nothing to get excited about.

That was the most exciting game of the year, start to finish. They actually had a jump to their game all 65 minutes, something we haven't seen before. Definitely a reason for hope that we'll turn our play around.

Its silly to talk about draft picks and tanking now. They're 3 points out for christ sake. Nothing to be ashamed of after last night. They definitely don't have any scoring talent, that's clear, but if they actually take the fridge off their backs they look like a tough team to beat.

Again though this makes me hate the shootout even more. An excellent game like this is decided by a corny competition. Imagine after the first OT in the NBA they each chose 3 players to go to free throws? Yeah that's how I feel about the shootout

Couldn't agree more with you about the shootout. I hated it even when we didn't suck at it.