Cory Schneider Appreciation Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Eh, I agree with everything else you wrote but I don't really care if he is thinking this. This team doesn't live to satisfy Cory and furthermore, he's under a long term contract and it's not like he can just walk away. He may not be winning in his prime but he is making good money and gets to start more than any other goalie in the league.

..no one in the league has played more games than Cory, and I think that means something to him. He never got a chance playing alongside guys like Luongo & Brodeur.. and it was the Devils who gave him his first opportunity, (and with a .920 Sv%) you can't say he let us down.

The Devils are going though a transitional period right now, and I think Schneidz is smart enough to know he's part of the long-term plan.

Sure, technically no one is going to feel sorry for millionaires who get to live what is a dream for most of us, but I don't expect Cory to just think "Well, at least I'm getting paid well and getting lots of games, so I guess my team sucking shouldn't bother me."   

Yeah, I agree but I am not saying this. What I am saying is that I don't really think his situation is that bad and that his prime is not really being wasted that much. He got the big contract, and he is starting everyday. Of course, the team sucking bothers him and so does not winning at 28 years old. However, as far as thinking "Why the hell did I stay?" I just don't care if this is his thought. He's not walking away, not for free at least.

Furthermore, plenty of goalies have faced this situation before, but worse and made out alright. It isn't so common that a goalie gets to play for a good team for a long time. If Cory gets 4 or 5 years on the Devs with successful seasons, I'll say it worked out for him. This is why I just don't feel that bad; he has a pretty good set up.

I appreciate the Schneider-man.

I know his statistics are good and it's always said he "gave us a chance to win" And as a fan it's appreciated.

I still would like to see him absolutely steal a game. Shutout, shot after shot, save after save, Shutout.

Clearly the bad luck that resulted in some of the more memorable "soft" goals he let in early in the year has turned around. He's looked very good the past few months and done it while looking like he isn't trying all that hard. I think that's what gets people. Marty relied much more upon athleticism to make saves, leading to lots of BIG saves and moments that catch your eye. Cory is a technique goalie. He doesn't make those saves that Marty did because he's already in position and doesn't need to flail to make the save. It looks routine and people see him as a routine goalie, not an elite talent due to that.

Don't really agree that Marty was this flailer (though he would do that sometimes when he was in a slump).  Marty was pretty sound technically too...just in a different way than Cory.

But yeah, Cory definitely had some brutal luck earlier this year...and even then still had some respectable numbers. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Don't really agree that Marty was this flailier (though he would do that sometimes when he was in a slump).  Marty was pretty sound technically too...just in a different way than Cory.

But yeah, Cory definitely had some brutal luck earlier this year...and even then still had some respectable numbers. 

Marty didn't flail around a lot during his prime years (95-2009) but he did flail around more and more in the last 4-5 seasons as his body started to break down a bit and father time caught up to him.  It wasn't pretty the last couple of years as it seemed like he was flailing around on half the saves he was making.  The Stadium Series game comes directly to mind.

Maybe flail isn't the right word, but Marty made the pretty save far more often than Cory does, but that's not to say Cory isn't making great saves, just that they appear more routine than they did when Marty made them.

I think that kind of comes with being a butterfly goalie.

Cory doesn't need to make the crazy diving glove save, or the two pad stack, because he's pretty often in great position to stop the shot.

It kinda comes with the territory.  Less desperation saves.

Cory doesn't need to make the crazy diving glove save, or the two pad stack, because he's pretty often in great position to stop the shot.

I think this is true.

Only issue with butterfly goalies is that they tend to break down quicker.  I can't imagine how his knees will be in about 4-5 years, especially if he is facing 30+ shots a games most nights like he has this season.

The Cory bashing on instagram and other social media hubs is quite comical.

It's died down the past 2 weeks but there are those who just hate everything about Cory.  Tell them that Cory has had a .924 save % and they will either go silent or say "well Cory don't got da winzzzz!!!!" 

..no one in the league has played more games than Cory, and I think that means something to him. He never got a chance playing alongside guys like Luongo & Brodeur.. and it was the Devils who gave him his first opportunity, (and with a .920 Sv%) you can't say he let us down.

The Devils are going though a transitional period right now, and I think Schneidz is smart enough to know he's part of the long-term plan.

Agreed.  With a promising young defense in place and what looks to be a top 5-7 pick coming our way, this should be a 2-3 year re-tool of the forwards if done correctly.  It's not like there isn't light at the end of the tunnel.  After years of a 1A/1B situation , I'm sure he's just happy to be the man for the time being.     

That could add to it as well. I'm not making a comment on who's a better goalie, just trying to give my opinion on why some might perceive Cory as a lesser goalie than his stats say he is.

• 2 weeks later...

Last 10 games for Cory:  .935 save% (he's allowed 18 goals in those games).  Season save% is now up to .920 (10th in the league).  Not much of a surprise that the team has gone 5-4-1 in Cory's last 10 games (he came out of the Ducks game, but no way the Devils were winning that one if he had stayed in). 

Just glad to see that fans are wising up to the fact that Cory really is a good goaltender.  The guy has a .930 save% since 11/11 (26 games).  Hard to ask for much more than that.

Cory got off to a bad start but the last month or so he's been playing like he did last year. The goal he gave up the Ducks was the first one of THOSE he'd allowed in several games and you can't even rip him for that considering he got knocked on the head just before and played great after it. But those were the type of goals he allowed a lot early in the season and voila his stats have improved when he stopped allowing shortside goals/goals off his stick/puckhandling snafus

Cory got off to a bad start but the last month or so he's been playing like he did last year. The goal he gave up the Ducks was the first one of THOSE he'd allowed in several games and you can't even rip him for that considering he got knocked on the head just before and played great after it. But those were the type of goals he allowed a lot early in the season and voila his stats have improved when he stopped allowing shortside goals/goals off his stick/puckhandling snafus

He was definitely inconsistent earlier, and had some rotten luck to boot, but let's face it, there were definitely fans who overreacted to what amounted to a 5-6 week period.  He's now turned in a terrific two months of play...can't have too many bad games and still be .930.   

If the Devils hadn't played that stupid new PK system early in the year then Schneider's save percentage would look great.

There is that too...I think his even-strength save% has been good all season. 

Devils PK is sniffing 80% on the season (currently at 79.5).  They started at 38-for-58 in the PK (65.5...amazing how that low a rate make it seem as though other team is ALWAYS scoring on their PP).  The Devils are 94-for-108 since (87.0%).