Cory Schneider Appreciation Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Cory is certainly rivaling any stretch of hockey Marty has ever played, at least in the regular season.

Totally agree.  To go from elite goaltending to elite goaltending is not easy, but I will have to give Lou props for being shrewd enough to trade for Cory.  We are very lucky to have had both of them.

That's Cory's last 14 games which  include 13 starts and one relief appearance. I'm not positive, but pretty sure a stretch of 14 straight games of over .910 goaltending has never been done before in NHL history, at least since they had the save percentage stat published. Even a 14 game stretch of .900+ goaltending has only been done once or twice. 

Not counting the first start (where he left after the first period), what's kind of sad is that the Devils are only 8-4-1 in those games (two wins came by shootout).  Basically Cory needs to be about a .940-.960 guy for the Devils to win most nights.  If he ever has a .905-.925 stretch...here come the losses.

Not counting the first start (where he left after the first period), what's kind of sad is that the Devils are only 8-4-1 in those games (two wins came by shootout).  Basically Cory needs to be about a .940-.960 guy for the Devils to win most nights.  If he ever has a .905-.925 stretch...here come the losses.

lol great as he will drop dead after half a season of that.

Cory is just beyond amazing.  Again really lucky we have him.

At least now we have a guy who's capable of sustained .940 stretches when he's hot and isn't really bad when he's not.  Devils had a lot of .880ish extended runs the past four years. 

I have to give the guy credit in another area too: ever since the guy got his starting job, there hasn't been one peep of a complaint out of the guy to the media. He has been a terrific leader on the team. Despite the Devils' losing ways, and despite the Devils being on the bottom of the league in win% when leading after two periods (29th). And as DR33 laid out, the guy has had an unprecedented streak of .910+ sv. pct. hockey, and as was also mentioned, he did not really gotten as many wins out of that as he should have. And yet, he hasn't tooted his own horn even once. I think back to Halak in his big playoff year for the Canadiens and I remember the guy had no problem sighing in interviews and saying things like 'as usual' when asked about how much the team was depending on him. None of that from Cory, he hasn't uttered a negative word, and it has to be said, he could easily (and justly) do so.

4th shutout of the season

.927 season save%

2.19 GAA

1st in games played (55), faced the most shots, made the most saves, and seems to be getting stronger.  Yep, he can handle a #1 workload.

No way in hell I trade this guy unless the offer is absurd.

Cory should be in the Vezina discussion.

Not unless you get the analytics guys voting that gave King Felix the Cy Young with a .500 record...team success unfortunately is still a barometer of awards in the NHL.

I hope Cory's season shows once and for all how misleading W/L's can be when talking about goaltenders.  Two or fewer goals in 67 of his 97 starts as a Devil...how's he supposed to win with THAT kind of goal support? 

Edited by NJDevs4978

Cory should be in the Vezina discussion.

If he continues at this rate, absolutely.  But the fact that he's playing on a bad team (killing his W-L-OL record) will unfairly hurt him.  Of course, you'd think if someone was finding a way to thrive on a bad team...oh well...

Not unless you get the analytics guys voting that gave King Felix the Cy Young with a .500 record...team success unfortunately is still a barometer of awards in the NHL.

I hope Cory's season shows once and for all how misleading W/L's can be when talking about goaltenders.

Well I didn't say he should win... But he absolutely should be in the discussion.

If he continues at this rate, absolutely. But the fact that he's playing on a bad team (killing his W-L-OL record) will unfairly hurt him. Of course, you'd think if someone was finding a way to thrive on a bad team...oh well...

Yeah you'd think thriving on a bad team would actually help his cause.

I have said more than anyone that Cory won't be in the Vezina discussion despite deserving to be. But somehow, Cory has maintained this level of play for an amount of time no one could have seen coming. If this goes on any longer, he may very well make people think twice about Holtby as the third candidate. If Cory hits .930 - something I definitely did not think was possible a month ago but is now somehow looking possible - he will get the voters' eye.

Edited by Neb00rs

Yeah you'd think thriving on a bad team would actually help his cause.

Funny thing is there are people who will say "his team is out of it, he's doesn't have to worry about 'pressure' starts".  Which is horsesh!t.  This team is nowhere near NHL-.500 without him.

I have said more than anyone that Cory won't be in the Vezina discussion despite deserving to be. But somehow, Cory has maintained this level of play for an amount of time no one could have seen coming. If this goes on any longer, he may very well make people think twice about Holtby as the third candidate. If Cory hits .930 - something I definitely did not think was possible a month ago but is now somehow looking possible - he will get the voters' eye.

Not really...a lot of Devils fans feel that Cory should be in the discussion, but knew he wouldn't be due to circumstances very much beyond his control. 

He's starting to force his way into the discussion though.  If he's in the top three in save% (amazingly, he's suddenly right behind Rinne), I really hope he at least gets serious consideration before someone less deserving is named a finalist. 

Not really...a lot of Devils fans feel that Cory should be in the discussion, but knew he wouldn't be due to circumstances very much beyond his control. 

He's starting to force his way into the discussion though.  If he's in the top three in save% (amazingly, he's suddenly right behind Rinne), I really hope he at least gets serious consideration before someone less deserving is named a finalist. 

Perhaps I didn't articulate this clearly, though it's aside from the point, let me try to clarify: it's not that I have said more than anyone that Cory should be in the discussion (I think most on this board do), but I have been saying more than anyone that he won't be. I wasn't saying that I was breaking news, I was using the point to say "I could actually be wrong because of how Cory just keeps on surprising."

As I said in the rest of my above post though, his unprecedented and unrelenting high level of play is forcing the league to pay attention.

Edited by Neb00rs

No, you articulated it fine.  A lot of Devils fans know that Cory won't be in the discussion, even if they're not saying it as much as you.  And the reasons are both obvious and not fair:  mediocre record, bad team.

He'll have to do what he's done in January and February through the rest of the year.  Out of the potential finalists, he has the least leeway.  It will likely take a third straight .940+ month in March for voters to overlook the "down" points that really have nothing at all to do with Cory. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976