GDT: 12/11/14 Morris Moss v. Your Dad

CarpathianForest

Whoops...cliffhanger.

Decide if the coach or the players are the problem.  I could be 100% wrong, but the fact that Pete's still here (and that his input seemed to have a lot to do with Brunner getting the heave-ho) tells me that Lou thinks it's more on the players at this point.

Lou needs to come to the realization that it's also on him and his front office core. I'm not holding my breath on that happening. There's just very little accountability or activity with is team right now.

Right now there is nothing coming at forward even from Albany. Boucher and Matteau are doing pretty much nothing down there.

so we have a few "POTENTIAL" 50 pt players . who most havent actually scored 50 pts more than once in the last 5 years due to injuries and slumps. most teams have multiple 80 pts "potential" players in the lineup across the 1st and second lines.  with this team it is potential and "IFs"..if the stars all aligned yeah we could play good.

how many years in a row can a coach spark a team to go 110% every night? I can care less if deboer is fired. I want to tank this year and next and look towards 2016

Lou needs to come to the realization that it's also on him and his front office core. I'm not holding my breath on that happening. There's just very little accountability or activity with is team right now.

Right now there is nothing coming at forward even from Albany. Boucher and Matteau are doing pretty much nothing down there.

Lou is not an idiot.  I don't think he looks at the team he assembled and thinks to himself "Wow, me and my front office have sure done an awesome job building this team and stocking the farm with future stars." 

Whoops...cliffhanger.

Decide if the coach or the players are the problem.  I could be 100% wrong, but the fact that Pete's still here (and that his input seemed to have a lot to do with Brunner getting the heave-ho) tells me that Lou thinks it's more on the players at this point. 

The fact that DeBoer's still here makes me think it's Lou's way of acknowledging he's to blame..

Lou is not an idiot.  I don't think he looks at the team he assembled and thinks to himself "Wow, me and my front office have sure done an awesome job building this team and stocking the farm with future stars."

He needs to step down and let a new GM come in.

He needs to step down and let a new GM come in.

i feel lke everyone is so fast to point blame in every direction here.. everyone blames pete for this and that he has a bunch of crap players he is trying to perform with.. its not so easy to build a contending team when the majority of players are much past their prime and were never huge stars to begin with, the talent just is not there to work with. ..as far as lou goes how much do you expect him to do with what he himself as to work with as well he cant trade away certain players here and the ones he can trade either hold no value or no one wants aka brunner. He can only pay so much in FA i know people like to blame him for losing ZP but whatever who knew koval was going to stick it up our asses.. and he was the better of the two players to keep if he had to pick one.. you dont know what he was dealing with under the old ownership as far as finances went.

I only really watched about the first 8-10 minutes of the game last night and then the rest of the game casually watched it while flipping between other channels.  Since the Devils were giving meh effort I was going to give them meh interest.  There are about 50-55 games left and I will be damned if I get hyped up over every one.

Re: Lou.  I don't blame Lou at all for everything that has happened to get to this point.  A lot of it was simply out of his hands.  I agree he dipped into the FA market way more than he liked.  I also think that it was wise to pass on Parise for the money he was asking (he would probably still be here if the new CBA kicked in before his contract expired with the Devils), Kovy was completely out of his hands and I never cared for Clarkson so he can pretend he is Wendel Clark in Toronto for I care (best thing is he is not even close).  For 20 years Lou was in a "win-now" situation because of the success of the team and for that he had to mortgage a lot of the future.  I think this has finally caught up to him and the fact that it took 20 friggin years really shows how crafty he was in keeping the success going.

However, at this point to move forward and put the team back in the mix for the future, I am not sure if Lou is really the right guy anymore.  Besides his age I really haven't seen anything from him in the near past to indicate he has the skills to really assemble a team that can compete in the new NHL.  He won't have to forcibly tear apart the team to start from scratch as outside of 4-6 players no one is signed beyond next season.  I am, however, no confident in his drafting skills anymore and a lot of that falls on both him and Conte.

The team needs at the very least a partial re-build.  I am just not sure Lou is the right guy anymore for it.

All I will say is, this is not the worst year to have this happen to us. This team needs to rebuild. It will be ugly, and will be painful to watch. But it needs to happen.

I agree. McDavid isn't gonna happen, but we should get a top 5-6 pick in a very deep draft, which should offer us the opportunity to draft an impact forward. Edited by MadDog2020

There's a lottery. Keep losing and you better the odds. This franchise badly needs one of those top two picks. Would be an absolute game changer.

Preaching to the choir DR. It would be amazing to get one of those top 2 picks, but this team, as bad as it is, is still probably too good for that. I'm not holding my breath on winning the lottery. We aren't that lucky lol.

Preaching to the choir DR. It would be amazing to get one of those top 2 picks, but this team, as bad as it is, is still probably too good for that. I'm not holding my breath on winning the lottery. We aren't that lucky lol.

Well, the Devils did win the lottery to get Larsson...that was to move up 4 spots back then.

#o1o starts with Lou being very proactive on the trade front. I don't see it happening, and doubt teams are ready to take on huge salary this early in the season. No one has any idea what's on Lou's mind, but the fact Deboer is here and Brunner is gone, says that he isn't loving this team.

"I think we didn't do a good enough job getting pucks to the net," Devils coach Peter DeBoer said. "I thought we had [offensive] zone time; we got pucks to the point quite a bit. I thought our [defensemen] did not do a good enough job getting pucks to the net … that's why the lack of shots."

This is the problem! Why are the points the focal point, the pinnacle of our attack? Why is this our constant mindset - to get pucks to defensemen in the attacking zone every single time?!  Fire this clown and step down, Lou.

Well, the Devils did win the lottery to get Larsson...that was to move up 4 spots back then.

#o1o starts with Lou being very proactive on the trade front. I don't see it happening, and doubt teams are ready to take on huge salary this early in the season. No one has any idea what's on Lou's mind, but the fact Deboer is here and Brunner is gone, says that he isn't loving this team.

Yeah we got lucky once- I doubt we'll be lucky enough to win it again in a year with generational talent in the top two spots. Although if we did... Wow. No doubt it would be an overnight franchise changer. But a top 5 pick in this draft should still be able to net us a top forward the franchise can build around.

Yeah we got lucky once- I doubt we'll be lucky enough to win it again in a year with generational talent in the top two spots. Although if we did... Wow. No doubt it would be an overnight franchise changer. But a top 5 pick in this draft should still be able to net us a top forward the franchise can build around.

Right now I have dreams of landing McDavid.  Even if it takes a few years to surround him with other talent to make us a competitor, maybe his name alone and the coverage of him will entice fans to come and deal with the suckage that might happen in those years.

Maybe then we will get Saturday afternoon games that are featured on NBC where we don't play either NYR, Philly, Pitts, or Washington.

You gotta be in it to win it. We're going nowhere anyway. Trade some vets as well to pick up even more picks. It's time to climb the mountain again.

i feel lke everyone is so fast to point blame in every direction here.. everyone blames pete for this and that he has a bunch of crap players he is trying to perform with.. its not so easy to build a contending team when the majority of players are much past their prime and were never huge stars to begin with, the talent just is not there to work with. ..as far as lou goes how much do you expect him to do with what he himself as to work with as well he cant trade away certain players here and the ones he can trade either hold no value or no one wants aka brunner. He can only pay so much in FA i know people like to blame him for losing ZP but whatever who knew koval was going to stick it up our asses.. and he was the better of the two players to keep if he had to pick one.. you dont know what he was dealing with under the old ownership as far as finances went.

What most of this fanbase is learning the hard way is that downcycles/irrelevance/tear-downs/rebuilds don't just happen to the Rangers, Islanders, Penguins, Flyers, and all of the other teams we've sometimes looked down upon.  Eventually we take our turn climbing into the barrel too.  It's never fun when it happens, but the fact is that it does happen to everyone eventually.  You just hope you're not there for too long.

As far as Lou goes, clearly there's fans who think he's washed up, past it, doesn't know how to build a team for the "new" NHL, etc.  I can't say I'm supremely confident in Lou right now, but I will say that this is the first Devils team he's had that doesn't have much in the way of positives.  The last two years, one could make a case for the Devils being "unlucky", so Lou made moves to address the team's weaknesses.  But this year's team is just flat-out bad...injuries have played a part of course, but I don't think they'll be that much better healthy.  I truly believe that this is not lost on Lou (he's not some senile old fool)...I think he likely realizes that adding to a group this flawed is now pointless, that's there's simply not enough positives to build on (the Devils getting outshot so severely is an example), and that some decisions are going to have to be made in the near future.  I've felt for a while that, as much as Lou has been trying to keep this team competitive, if he could take a detonator to it and start over, he'd do it without hesitation...it's not built the way Lou would prefer to build a team, and it shows.  The good news is, in a way, Lou is being handed a detonator...by the end of the season in 2016, a lot of the guys who are simply not good or simply too old will be gone.  The Devils have exactly four forwards (one of which is Clowe...who knows if we ever see him again), two defensemen, and Schneider signed for the 2016-17 season.  Obviously when you detonate something, there's rubble and wreckage left behind...but at least once the dust settles, there's possibilities and hope for a new and better building, complete with a strong foundation.  With the current team, there just isn't much of it, outside of the obvious (Cory and some young D). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976