Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
roomtemp

What would you trade for Taylor Hall?

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

His stats are terrible this year, over 3 goals against a game and just under .900 save percentage this year and my point was he thought Cory sucks and Keith would be better.

KK was never going to be anything more than a career backup, or a guy who might get a run of starts if he got very hot for a while...he was never going to be a guy who was going to play SO well as a backup that anyone would ever want to bring him in and give him a shot as a #1.  I never understood why anyone ever thought he had that kind of upside. 

As for this season (still a ways to go), backups are a little like a lot of major-league bullpen arms.  Good one year, maybe less so the next.  That's why they're backups.  But he's a decent one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I was right.  Nobody wanted to trade Adam Larsson.  So we did end up giving up more than we wanted to when the trade was made.

lol. I was never high on Larsson actually seeing him play in the NHL. I was high on Severson though cause i saw so much more potential.

So i would have traded Larsson EASILY for Hall or even for less than Hall. I would have traded Larsson for like... Eberle even

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Falloon's commitment was ever questioned - I suspect he would've been called Fat Balloon no matter what - but I do know that he seems like a classic case of who made who - Falloon was on the same junior team as Ray Whitney, Whitney put up 185 points in 72 games during Falloon's draft year and was only 6 months older than Falloon.  Meanwhile Falloon goes on to be a 2nd/3rd line guy and Whitney, after some initial struggles, was a 1st liner for a decade.  

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I was right.  Nobody wanted to trade Adam Larsson.  So we did end up giving up more than we wanted to when the trade was made.

Remind us again how awesome Eric Gelinas is. 

Just about EVERYONE was thrilled with the deal when it was made...some more than others, but damn near no one was in "OMG the Devils lost Larsson, they gave up too much!" mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I was right.  Nobody wanted to trade Adam Larsson.  So we did end up giving up more than we wanted to when the trade was made.

Your lack of self-awareness is downright concerning. But it's also fvckin entertaining as fvck.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when I was really high/optimistic/delusional on Larsson, Merrill, Seaverson and Gelinas getting it all together in the way the Predators have it set up with their defensemen. Probably why I made this thread thinking we could trade away one and other pieces to get him. Welp was off by a few pieces.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Your lack of self-awareness is downright concerning. But it's also fvckin entertaining as fvck.

I'm not the one lacking awareness there champ.  I thought it would be painfully obvious to everyone that me quoting myself from a post 4 years ago was in jest, but apparently I was too confident you guys would get the joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Remind us again how awesome Eric Gelinas is. 

Just about EVERYONE was thrilled with the deal when it was made...some more than others, but damn near no one was in "OMG the Devils lost Larsson, they gave up too much!" mode. 

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

Pretty much only idiots on facebook. Not sure those people even count as humans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

An extremely, extremely minute percentage of the fanbase. Maybe.

But naw. You were right, like always, brochacho.

  • Congrats!!!
15 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I'm not the one lacking awareness there champ.  I thought it would be painfully obvious to everyone that me quoting myself from a post 4 years ago was in jest, but apparently I was too confident you guys would get the joke.

Up until about 15 minutes ago I was not aware you knew the word "sarcasm"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

An extremely, extremely minute percentage of the fanbase. Maybe.

Probably the same number that look forward to MB's postgame Happy Recaps.

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

Are you really back to playing semantics again...or in this case, not even understanding what you're reading?  I said "damned near no one", NOT "no one at all".  Yes, like MITB alluded to, yeah, a very very VERY small percentage of mutant Devils fans (the FB variety) may have thought that Larsson was too much to give up for Hall.  Whoop-de-damn-doo.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

An extremely, extremely minute percentage of the fanbase. Maybe.

But naw. You were right, like always, brochacho.

  • Congrats!!!

Up until about 15 minutes ago I was not aware you knew the word "sarcasm"

The people who post on here, make up a very minute part of THAT very minute part of the fanbase you speak of.  So I hope you're not using NJDevs as some sort of barometer and then trying to extrapolate through the entire fanbase.  Also read what I said in that post 4 years ago.  I said we'd give up something we didn't want to give up in order to get him.  We ended up giving up something we did not want to give up in order to get him.

I would update the software on your sarcasm detector up to date if I were you, because I use sarcasm quite often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably the same number that look forward to MB's postgame Happy Recaps.

Are you really back to playing semantics again...or in this case, not even understanding what you're reading?  I said "damned near no one", NOT "no one at all".  Yes, like MITB alluded to, yeah, a very very VERY small percentage of mutant Devils fans (the FB variety) may have thought that Larsson was too much to give up for Hall.  Whoop-de-damn-doo.

Happy recaps?  Did you not read the one I postes yesterday where I basically roasted the Devils for not being able to close it out in regulation?  This whole idea that I'm some sort of apologist is completely misguided.  The only reason it might seem that way is because people on here do nothing but rip the Devils so I'm constantly reacting to people who incessantly rip on the team so all you see is me defending the team.  The truth is, I'm actually level headed and objective about the team.  I post what I see.  If I see something bad, I will post about it without sugar coating it.  If I see something good, I'll post about it.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for you and Micky Mouse to understand.

And don't give me this "people on facebook" bs.  The very same people who post on facebook, twitter, HF, reddit, etc are all the same as the people who post on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calm down people. Nobody cares who thought what about Larsson - that's partly why the thread is funny - because we are just fans and get a lot of sh!t wrong. Your arguing stems from a well intended, admitted joke on a 4 year old thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It seems like a lopsided trade now, but to be fair, some people thrive in different settings.  At the time, everyone was saying that us and Edmonton both needed a shake up, and those guys Hall and Larsson needed a change of scenery, so that could account for some of it.  I don't pay enough attention to Edmonton or Larsson to know how he's been doing lately and if their fans view the trade as lopsided as we do, but it's easy to look back now and see it as such a fleece job.  At the time though, the vast majority of us thought it was fairly equal

That's not true. A handful of us were shocked that Larsson was gone, and quite upset by the fact, but few saw it as objectively even. 

Hall needed a change of scenery. Larsson was becoming a franchise player here. He absolutely did not need a change of scenery. He wasn't an all star out of the gate and had a few rough patches early, but he'd established himself as a top pairing NHLer when he was sent to Edmonton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Happy recaps?  Did you not read the one I postes yesterday where I basically roasted the Devils for not being able to close it out in regulation?  This whole idea that I'm some sort of apologist is completely misguided.  The only reason it might seem that way is because people on here do nothing but rip the Devils so I'm constantly reacting to people who incessantly rip on the team so all you see is me defending the team.  The truth is, I'm actually level headed and objective about the team.  I post what I see.  If I see something bad, I will post about it without sugar coating it.  If I see something good, I'll post about it.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for you and Micky Mouse to understand.

And don't give me this "people on facebook" bs.  The very same people who post on facebook, twitter, HF, reddit, etc are all the same as the people who post on here.

When Bob Murphy used to do his postgame commentary on the radio after Mets games, he used to call it a "Happy Recap".  That's why I wrote it.  Not to provide any kind of commentary re:  the emotional state of your recaps, or to imply that you're some kind of apologist.  Like I said in another thread, if anything I find your constant criticisms of the coaching staff to be over-the-top and unfair.  But no more debates...there's a reason why no one really bothers with responding to your recaps (except to point out how awkward they can be), and this exchange is why.  Semantics and other nonsense.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, Mike Brown said:

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

I believe the term here was "grand larssony"  at the time  with lots of happy dancing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

I believe the term here was "grand larssony"  at the time  with lots of happy dancing

I never said anything about people thinking the value was bad, but believe me when I tell you people were very upset Larsson was traded for Hall.  We just went through the exact same thing when we traded Henrique for Vatanen!

Nobody thought these were bad trades, but don't act as if people weren't upset that the two Adams were traded!  Clearly people were upset, and some fans were legit mad even.

Edited by Mike Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was way more upset with the Henrique trade. The return was way better for Larsson so it’s easy to let that one go but Henrique was a true Devil. Hard to watch him go as he was so loved by fans and teammates. Vatanen is slowly growing on me though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

I never said anything about people thinking the value was bad, but believe me when I tell you people were very upset Larsson was traded for Hall.  We just went through the exact same thing when we traded Henrique for Vatanen!

Nobody thought these were bad trades, but don't act as if people weren't upset that the two Adams were traded!  Clearly people were upset, and some fans were legit mad even.

You have to consider the return. If we traded Henrique and got back a former #1 overall, who leads the team in scoring, and people are calling for to be the next captain, it would have been easier to tolerate. 

When the return is not only a defenseman, but one playing out West so the majority of people who don't follow other teams closely aren't even aware of his performance day to day, its a harder sell. 

There's arguments for/against the Henrique for Vatanen trade. But if you would have argued against trading Henrique for Hall, you probably don't know what you are talking about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

I never said anything about people thinking the value was bad, but believe me when I tell you people were very upset Larsson was traded for Hall.  We just went through the exact same thing when we traded Henrique for Vatanen!

Nobody thought these were bad trades, but don't act as if people weren't upset that the two Adams were traded!  Clearly people were upset, and some fans were legit mad even.

These are two wildly different scenarios, and I saw a grand total of zero people complain about the trade for Hall -- definitely, definitely not here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

These are two wildly different scenarios, and I saw a grand total of zero people complain about the trade for Hall -- definitely, definitely not here. 

I just re-reviewed some of the thread from when the trade went down. There were quite a few people disappointed that Larsson was who was traded. But not really to the point where they thought we lost the trade. 

I think basically everybody who said something felt bummed that it was Larsson, who had developed into a good player. But they fell short of being upset by the trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×