What would you trade for Taylor Hall?

roomtemp

I remember when I was really high/optimistic/delusional on Larsson, Merrill, Seaverson and Gelinas getting it all together in the way the Predators have it set up with their defensemen. Probably why I made this thread thinking we could trade away one and other pieces to get him. Welp was off by a few pieces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Your lack of self-awareness is downright concerning. But it's also fvckin entertaining as fvck.

I'm not the one lacking awareness there champ.  I thought it would be painfully obvious to everyone that me quoting myself from a post 4 years ago was in jest, but apparently I was too confident you guys would get the joke.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Remind us again how awesome Eric Gelinas is. 

Just about EVERYONE was thrilled with the deal when it was made...some more than others, but damn near no one was in "OMG the Devils lost Larsson, they gave up too much!" mode. 

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

10 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Yes there were definitely people who hated this trade and thought giving up Larsson was in fact giving up too much.  Don't even try and tell me these people don't exist.

Pretty much only idiots on facebook. Not sure those people even count as humans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

An extremely, extremely minute percentage of the fanbase. Maybe.

Probably the same number that look forward to MB's postgame Happy Recaps.

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Are you really back to playing semantics again...or in this case, not even understanding what you're reading?  I said "damned near no one", NOT "no one at all".  Yes, like MITB alluded to, yeah, a very very VERY small percentage of mutant Devils fans (the FB variety) may have thought that Larsson was too much to give up for Hall.  Whoop-de-damn-doo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

An extremely, extremely minute percentage of the fanbase. Maybe.

But naw. You were right, like always, brochacho.

• Congrats!!!

Up until about 15 minutes ago I was not aware you knew the word "sarcasm"

The people who post on here, make up a very minute part of THAT very minute part of the fanbase you speak of.  So I hope you're not using NJDevs as some sort of barometer and then trying to extrapolate through the entire fanbase.  Also read what I said in that post 4 years ago.  I said we'd give up something we didn't want to give up in order to get him.  We ended up giving up something we did not want to give up in order to get him.

I would update the software on your sarcasm detector up to date if I were you, because I use sarcasm quite often.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably the same number that look forward to MB's postgame Happy Recaps.

Are you really back to playing semantics again...or in this case, not even understanding what you're reading?  I said "damned near no one", NOT "no one at all".  Yes, like MITB alluded to, yeah, a very very VERY small percentage of mutant Devils fans (the FB variety) may have thought that Larsson was too much to give up for Hall.  Whoop-de-damn-doo.

Happy recaps?  Did you not read the one I postes yesterday where I basically roasted the Devils for not being able to close it out in regulation?  This whole idea that I'm some sort of apologist is completely misguided.  The only reason it might seem that way is because people on here do nothing but rip the Devils so I'm constantly reacting to people who incessantly rip on the team so all you see is me defending the team.  The truth is, I'm actually level headed and objective about the team.  I post what I see.  If I see something bad, I will post about it without sugar coating it.  If I see something good, I'll post about it.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for you and Micky Mouse to understand.

And don't give me this "people on facebook" bs.  The very same people who post on facebook, twitter, HF, reddit, etc are all the same as the people who post on here.

15 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It seems like a lopsided trade now, but to be fair, some people thrive in different settings.  At the time, everyone was saying that us and Edmonton both needed a shake up, and those guys Hall and Larsson needed a change of scenery, so that could account for some of it.  I don't pay enough attention to Edmonton or Larsson to know how he's been doing lately and if their fans view the trade as lopsided as we do, but it's easy to look back now and see it as such a fleece job.  At the time though, the vast majority of us thought it was fairly equal

That's not true. A handful of us were shocked that Larsson was gone, and quite upset by the fact, but few saw it as objectively even. 

Hall needed a change of scenery. Larsson was becoming a franchise player here. He absolutely did not need a change of scenery. He wasn't an all star out of the gate and had a few rough patches early, but he'd established himself as a top pairing NHLer when he was sent to Edmonton. 

8 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Happy recaps?  Did you not read the one I postes yesterday where I basically roasted the Devils for not being able to close it out in regulation?  This whole idea that I'm some sort of apologist is completely misguided.  The only reason it might seem that way is because people on here do nothing but rip the Devils so I'm constantly reacting to people who incessantly rip on the team so all you see is me defending the team.  The truth is, I'm actually level headed and objective about the team.  I post what I see.  If I see something bad, I will post about it without sugar coating it.  If I see something good, I'll post about it.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for you and Micky Mouse to understand.

And don't give me this "people on facebook" bs.  The very same people who post on facebook, twitter, HF, reddit, etc are all the same as the people who post on here.

When Bob Murphy used to do his postgame commentary on the radio after Mets games, he used to call it a "Happy Recap".  That's why I wrote it.  Not to provide any kind of commentary re:  the emotional state of your recaps, or to imply that you're some kind of apologist.  Like I said in another thread, if anything I find your constant criticisms of the coaching staff to be over-the-top and unfair.  But no more debates...there's a reason why no one really bothers with responding to your recaps (except to point out how awkward they can be), and this exchange is why.  Semantics and other nonsense.  

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, Mike Brown said:

I believe the term here was "grand larssony"  at the time  with lots of happy dancing

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

I believe the term here was "grand larssony"  at the time  with lots of happy dancing

I never said anything about people thinking the value was bad, but believe me when I tell you people were very upset Larsson was traded for Hall.  We just went through the exact same thing when we traded Henrique for Vatanen!

Nobody thought these were bad trades, but don't act as if people weren't upset that the two Adams were traded!  Clearly people were upset, and some fans were legit mad even.

Edited by Mike Brown

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

I never said anything about people thinking the value was bad, but believe me when I tell you people were very upset Larsson was traded for Hall.  We just went through the exact same thing when we traded Henrique for Vatanen!

Nobody thought these were bad trades, but don't act as if people weren't upset that the two Adams were traded!  Clearly people were upset, and some fans were legit mad even.

You have to consider the return. If we traded Henrique and got back a former #1 overall, who leads the team in scoring, and people are calling for to be the next captain, it would have been easier to tolerate. 

When the return is not only a defenseman, but one playing out West so the majority of people who don't follow other teams closely aren't even aware of his performance day to day, its a harder sell. 

There's arguments for/against the Henrique for Vatanen trade. But if you would have argued against trading Henrique for Hall, you probably don't know what you are talking about. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

These are two wildly different scenarios, and I saw a grand total of zero people complain about the trade for Hall -- definitely, definitely not here. 

I just re-reviewed some of the thread from when the trade went down. There were quite a few people disappointed that Larsson was who was traded. But not really to the point where they thought we lost the trade. 

I think basically everybody who said something felt bummed that it was Larsson, who had developed into a good player. But they fell short of being upset by the trade.