GDT: Washington @ Devils 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

What is it that everyone has against Bernier? The guy has been great for a 4th liner this year. When he's being forced to play on what is essentially the 2nd line because we have no RW depth, a problem exacerbated by having to scratch Ryder who's on a 20 game goalless streak, he doesn't look great anymore. That being said, I think he was just fine tonight. Didn't look terribly out of place.

That's what the know nothings do, they don't understand that not everyone is supposed to score. Bernier, forechecks, is strong on the boards, and creates traffic in front of the net, he is the least of the Devils problems.

What is it that everyone has against Bernier? The guy has been great for a 4th liner this year. When he's being forced to play on what is essentially the 2nd line because we have no RW depth, a problem exacerbated by having to scratch Ryder who's on a 20 game goalless streak, he doesn't look great anymore. That being said, I think he was just fine tonight. Didn't look terribly out of place.

He's in his usual routine much like Harrold where you come up and play well for a few games maybe score a goal and nab a couple assists and then turn into a pumpkin again. Bernier is not an NHL caliber player anymore to the point where he should be playing regularly. Neither is half our forwards for that matter.

He's in his usual routine much like Harrold where you come up and play well for a few games maybe score a goal and nab a couple assists and then turn into a pumpkin again. Bernier is not an NHL caliber player anymore to the point where he should be playing regularly. Neither is half our forwards for that matter.

What are you talking about? The guy has 8 points in 23 games. That's an average of 1 every 3 games. At this point he's been held pointless over the past 4 games. It's not like the guy has gone completely cold. He passes well, forechecks well, generally plays hard. I don't at all get the Bernier hate.

At this point, I'll take Bernier over Havlat on the RW.

There's really not much basis for saying this about Bernier.  He's playing a fine game right now and to me is a perfectly capable 4th line RW.

“I thought the guys came out and tried,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said. “They were fresher than us, bigger, stronger, faster, deeper and their best players were their best players. Ovechkin was very good tonight and Holtby was very good. It was not a great formula for us.

It's the damn truth. A very honest assessment of the team vs the Capitals.

I missed the game but didn't flinch when I saw the score. I don't know if there was any booing tonight (I'm going to assume there was), but it's a lot easier when you can accept this team is not very good, not for a lack of coaching, not for a lack of effort, but because of a lack of speed, skill, talent, whatever....

Bad teams don't get booed every night by the home team after a loss. Fans shouldn't buy a ticket expecting the roster out there lately to be a good one. When you see the 12 forwards out there tonight, don't even expect a goal.

Last year, I'd post 20-30 times a week (it felt like), about this roster move and this player not on this line, but right now it's clear it doesn't matter. No one is going to move the middle much. This team is not good. And for now, that's okay.

Edited by devilsrule33

It's the damn truth. A very honest assessment of the team vs the Capitals.

I missed the game but didn't flinch when I saw the score. I don't know if there was any booing tonight (I'm going to assume there was), but it's a lot easier when you can accept this team is not very good, not for a lack of coaching, not for a lack of effort, but because of a lack of speed, skill, talent, whatever....

Bad teams don't get booed every night by the home team after a loss. Fans shouldn't buy a ticket expecting the roster out there lately to be a good one. When you see the 12 forwards out there tonight, don't even expect a goal.

Last year, I'd post 20-30 times a week (it felt like), about this roster move and this player not on this line, but right now it's clear it doesn't matter. No one is going to move the middle much. This team is not good. And for now, that's okay.

Last year, we also knew that no matter how good or bad we did, we weren't changing our draft position. This year, with what's being hyped as the best draft since '03, the draft is huge.

I cannot stress how much I would love a 2nd 1st rd pick this year. I'd consider trading one of the outgoing UFAs along with perhaps Gelinas in order to get even a low 1st rd pick. Say Jagr+Gelinas for a ~20-30th pick from a top team.

Washington Just a better as simple as that.

How would you like to be Cory knowing you are stuck with this type of team for the next few years

He's getting paid very well so I don't think it will bug him too much.

I feel sorry that he gets a lot of blame though. This team doesn't even have one top pair worthy defenseman.

He's getting paid very well so I don't think it will bug him too much.

I feel sorry that he gets a lot of blame though. This team doesn't even have one top pair worthy defenseman.

Sure he is making a lot of money but he wants to win be competitive and he sees what the Devils have put on the ice. It's like why bother. And there is very little help in site.

That's what the know nothings do, they don't understand that not everyone is supposed to score. Bernier, forechecks, is strong on the boards, and creates traffic in front of the net, he is the least of the Devils problems.

No offense man, but with some of your comments in the past few weeks, you are the one coming off as a 'know-nothing.'

Agreed. Bernier has exceeded expectations since his call up, he's one of only a handful of guys leaving it all on the ice every night. You can add Gionta to that list too. They are 4th line guys for sure but they are guaranteed to play their balls off even on a team where most of the players aren't doing that.

Edited by mfitz804

There's really not much basis for saying this about Bernier. He's playing a fine game right now and to me is a perfectly capable 4th line RW.

Haha. You and I are simply destined to never agree on anything. I don't dislike Bernier as he tries. But he's not a positive net contribution guy much like Gionta.

Edited by coldply123

Haha. You and I are simply destined to never agree on anything. I don't dislike Bernier as he tries. But he's not a positive net contribution guy much like Gionta.

Bernier is a perfectly fine 4th line guy.  He doesn't score a lot but the puck moves in the right direction when he's on the ice.  You can get a guy who might score more, maybe, but he won't be as good at the things Bernier is good at, so it's basically a wash.  If he were good at scoring and what Bernier does, he wouldn't be a 4th line guy.

Edited by Triumph