I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

I'm always very critical of the team, the Coach, & the GM, it doe snot mean I donot root my ass for them to win every game, but I'm not going to sit here and say things will get better when i see more grey haired forwards then my fathers bocci team has!!

Love this team, always will, but I hope to god LL trades 75% of these forwards at the trade deadline, minor leaguers, picks , whatever, but its time to get younger...

I referred only to bad words and misbehaving. How do you feel the fan base has improved?

Certainly less vulgar than the old days in the CAA...crowd noise is better...i think more knowledgeable about the game and whats going on with the team...higher expectations for the product.

Meh, our fan base isn't any worse than the other New Jersey based teams' fanbases.  It sort of comes with the territory - stereotypes aside, New Jersey-ians speak their minds freely.  That's not saying it's okay or acceptable, but you're not going to have a totally PC arena experience until that state culture changes.

And regarding other fanbases - the grass is always greener guys.  I saw someone mentioned Montreal as a 'classy' fanbase, yikes.  Just because you don't see the worst of the group doesn't mean it's not there.  The Habs, to continue with this example, have some of the most obnoxious and entitled fans in the league.  There are idiots everywhere.  You just have to brush them off and realize that no one actually takes them seriously.  Let some idiot boo Cory, scream about trading him - Lou and PDB ain't listening, and the players certainly don't care.

I'm seriously starting to think it might be advantageous for the Devils to introduce 'family friendly' sections or something.  You're not going to avoid the 'Rangers suck' chant or the (awful) chants during the new goal song.  But you could potentially avoid the general swearing and stupidity.  

Seriously. You cant let yourself be rattled and take to heart some random guy yelling Cory sucks out of 17,000 people. 

You've always been one of the poster boys for the entitled crowd.  Yes, they're likely going to miss the playoffs four out of five years...obviously not ideal, but they DID get to the finals in one of those seasons, and this is really the first season that looks like it's going to be a full-on bottoming out.  They recovered to make 2010-11 more respectable than it really had any right to be (though they clearly weren't as bad talent-wise as that first-half 10-29-2 record suggested).  Unlike that team, I think this bunch probably is as bad as the record suggests...the talent that could improve the Devils' overall performance is too either too old or injury-prone to make a consistent difference. 

What do you expect Lou to say to the fans at this point?  Right now I don't blame him for not saying much, because he can't win.  If he puts up the white flag, he'll be criticized for giving up on his team before the season's even half-over.  If he says that he expects that the team will turn it around, whether he believes it deep-down or not, he'll be knocked for sounding out-of-touch and clueless.   

His actions so far are speaking pretty loudly:  he hasn't canned PDB (and Lou is never shy about firing a coach if he thinks that's the problem), and he hasn't endorsed this team publicly.  I think Lou knows every bit that even fully healthy, this team is not good, and there's no patchwork moves to be made that will make much difference.  Just because Lou doesn't say "I'm going to start trading all of the underperforming veterans, or guys that don't fit into our long-term plans" out loud doesn't mean he's not planning on doing it.  This season is pretty much done, especially with so many teams having games-in-hand on the Devils., and Lou knows it.  That actually gives him the luxury of time to figure out exactly how he's going start dismantling this group...which means I wouldn't expect any announcements as far as his gameplan goes.  We also don't know how secure his future with the organization is...this is pure speculation, but he might have less power right now than he's used to.  The owners let him spend (Schneider, Greene and Cammalleri got pretty nice contracts, as did Elias last season) and they're not exactly getting much return on their investments so far.  I think a lot of things might be up in the air right now.   

You can say the Devils were lucky as a team last season, with our excellent possession numbers, and determine that this season was due for a setback. However, a lot of fans can look at last season's near-playoff campaign and conclude that with subtracting Marty and adding Cammalleri that we should at least be back in the playoff mix. Even the most pessimistic (or realistic) fan that thinks this roster is built on a series of 'if's' can still be frustrated with the fact that none of those 'if's' have come out in our favor. This is why the fan base is upset -That this roster can be just as good as it is bad. In other words, the frustration is legitimate and cant be brushed off as 'meh, the roster is terrible'.

There's a real line in the sand for me on which Devils fans I can't stand. There's a larger and larger contingent of fans almost rooting for Schneider to fail.

They're booing him this year, and they rooted against him last year when Brodeur was with us. A 1-0 (let's not count the ENG with 0.3 seconds left) loss on Wednesday and 3-0 (not including ENG) loss on Saturday are all on Schneider, according to this contingent. No mention of goal-scoring, no mention of anything. Goaltending lost the game, they say.

It drives me up a wall and the more we lose the more these people are popping out of the woodwork. People still want Marty, and you'd think that 7-4 game he lost a few days ago would've quieted that sentiment a bit, but it hasn't.

I know social media is not the best judge of these sorts of things but it is pretty awful to see Cory getting chirped by Devils fans on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram after every goal against -he's even getting chirped on videos from practices and morning skates. While it is fair to want and expect him to be playing better, would it hurt to show the guy who signed a long term deal to be our starter a little bit of support? The team's problems are bigger than Cory and Keith at this point in time.

The fan base deserves no scorn. It's had it's goal song ripped away, Parise leave us, Kovalchuk leave us. 17 or 18 straight shootout losses, this year will be 4 out of 5 years no playoffs, an uncomfortable divorce with Brodeur, and an ownership change, plus a litany of late game blown leads.

I actually think this fan base has done a nice job grinning and bearing things

I know social media is not the best judge of these sorts of things but it is pretty awful to see Cory getting chirped by Devils fans on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram after every goal against -he's even getting chirped on videos from practices and morning skates. While it is fair to want and expect him to be playing better, would it hurt to show the guy who signed a long term deal to be our starter a little bit of support? The team's problems are bigger than Cory and Keith at this point in time.

He's the "guy who replaced the guy".....you NEVER wanna be the guy who replaces the guy.....you wanna be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the guy.....it's a classic no-win situation for him....it's a shame

and 90% of EVRY fan base is stupid....add in a spolied sense of absurd entitlement....and a few beers....and you get instant trainwreck......

You can say the Devils were lucky as a team last season, with our excellent possession numbers, and determine that this season was due for a setback. However, a lot of fans can look at last season's near-playoff campaign and conclude that with subtracting Marty and adding Cammalleri that we should at least be back in the playoff mix. Even the most pessimistic (or realistic) fan that thinks this roster is built on a series of 'if's' can still be frustrated with the fact that none of those 'if's' have come out in our favor. This is why the fan base is upset -That this roster can be just as good as it is bad. In other words, the frustration is legitimate and cant be brushed off as 'meh, the roster is terrible'.

I could understand the frustration more if so many guys that the Devils were counting on weren't old. But they are. I was hopeful that some of those Ifs would go the Devils' way, but I also knew that they might not. That's why inserting a couple of players into last year's team and assuming that the Devils would automatically improve was flawed logic...the potential for some guys to age seemingly overnight was always there...just like everyone else, I was extremely hopeful that it wouldn't happen, but it did. When you're rooting for an obvious If team, as a fan, you kinda have to be prepared for anything.

I could understand the frustration more if so many guys that the Devils were counting on weren't old. But they are. I was hopeful that some of those Ifs would go the Devils' way, but I also knew that they might not. That's why inserting a couple of players into last year's team and assuming that the Devils would automatically improve was flawed logic...the potential for some guys to age seemingly overnight was always there...just like everyone else, I was extremely hopeful that it wouldn't happen, but it did. When you're rooting for an obvious If team, as a fan, you kinda have to be prepared for anything.

Cam and schneider full time are major additions. It was totally reasonable to believe we could be better this season. the serious decline of the old farts really is whats killed us. But It's funny how all of a sudden people are acting like we are supposed to be sucking, when pre-season no one on this board was thinking we'd be in a position to be fighting for mcdavid. Everyone felt we were a playoff team. Hell, even alot of pundits predicted us to make the playoffs! That never happens! But I agree that the potential for the decline was always there, however that doesn't mean the decline couldn't have been softened with better coaching, goaltending, etc...people have a right to be unhappy.

Cam and schneider full time are major additions. It was totally reasonable to believe we could be better this season. the serious decline of the old farts really is whats killed us. But It's funny how all of a sudden people are acting like we are supposed to be sucking, when pre-season no one on this board was thinking we'd be in a position to be fighting for mcdavid. Everyone felt we were a playoff team. Hell, even alot of pundits predicted us to make the playoffs! That never happens! But I agree that the potential for the decline was always there, however that doesn't mean the decline couldn't have been softened with better coaching, goaltending, etc...people have a right to be unhappy.

I never thought we were a for-sure playoff team.  I thought we could be a bubble team, though like I said, I was definitely worried about the older guys (and Cammalleri's penchant for missing games).  There were just so many Ifs...too many to feel like anything positive was a lock.  Unfortunately, we're seeing what happens when just about EVERY "If" scenario doesn't go your way. 

It's like I said...I think the only way one could go into this season was hopeful, but cautious.  Sure, if we had last year's Jagr and Elias playing, if Zajac had built off last season's 2nd-half offensive resurgence, if Ryder hadn't actually played worse (or been even less lucky), if Havlat had proven the Sharks wrong, if all of the young D took steps forward...then this team would've been in playoff contention.  But it all goes back to the same thing...when your team is a seemingly endless checklist of Ifs (the Mets played this game for years, and then wondered why they couldn't win 80 games), though there are sometimes exceptions, it's usually not a recipe for success.    

He's the "guy who replaced the guy".....you NEVER wanna be the guy who replaces the guy.....you wanna be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the guy.....it's a classic no-win situation for him....it's a shame

and 90% of EVRY fan base is stupid....add in a spolied sense of absurd entitlement....and a few beers....and you get instant trainwreck......

Well put it's become a trains wreck and when we don't score goals while he is in net it compounds the problem.

The fan base deserves no scorn. It's had it's goal song ripped away, Parise leave us, Kovalchuk leave us. 17 or 18 straight shootout losses, this year will be 4 out of 5 years no playoffs, an uncomfortable divorce with Brodeur, and an ownership change, plus a litany of late game blown leads.

Perhaps the fans are part of the reason some guys don't want to play for us. With the You Suck and Flyers Swallow chants maybe some guys just aren't into it. Not that I agree with that but some guys from other areas of the country/world might be more sensitive to those kinds of things. Given the opportunity they'd rather play somewhere else.

Perhaps the fans are part of the reason some guys don't want to play for us. With the You Suck and Flyers Swallow chants maybe some guys just aren't into it. Not that I agree with that but some guys from other areas of the country/world might be more sensitive to those kinds of things. Given the opportunity they'd rather play somewhere else.

I really don't think they care at all what the fans chant during a game or after a goal.  Now, if you said that FA's don't want to come here because (a) they are uneducated about NJ and the great lifestyle you can have here, (b) they'd rather play in an original 6 city, © they don't want to play in an area where the team is an absolute afterthought to everyone besides its hardcore fans, and/or (d) they want to play in an arena with energy every night, rather than 5 games a year, then I'd be more apt to agree with you.  But, as well all know, everything stated abover can almost always be overcome with more $ and years added to the contract offer.   

The bolded are untrue or irrelevant. Who cares about the goal song; it's a friggin song that isn't original (neither is the stupid chant). Lou/DeBoer bent over backwards for Brodeur the last few years by having him split with Schneider and drafting his son, whom had no business being drafted.  Oh no, we got owners with deep pockets who are allowing us to spent at or near the cap, oh the humanity! Spoiled fanbase is spoiled

I really don't think they care at all what the fans chant during a game or after a goal.  Now, if you said that FA's don't want to come here because (a) they are uneducated about NJ and the great lifestyle you can have here, (b) they'd rather play in an original 6 city, © they don't want to play in an area where the team is an absolute afterthought to everyone besides its hardcore fans, and/or (d) they want to play in an arena with energy every night, rather than 5 games a year, then I'd be more apt to agree with you.  But, as well all know, everything stated abover can almost always be overcome with more $ and years added to the contract offer.   

Definitely agree with your reasoning on why UFA's might not want to play here. And I don't think everyone would dislike our fans so much that they'd want to leave but there might be that sensitive few who would just prefer to play somewhere else given the opportunity. I don't think it would be the deciding factor but it could be the icing on the cake for someone on the fence.

Yea I'm sure it really affected Parise and Kovalchuk as opposed to going home and collecting millions? What big FA's have the Devils lost out on the last five years? Especially ones where we offered the most money (almost all FA's are motivated by money or home). There weren't any to begin with lol, the new CBA sees to that. Even if there were money issues were a lot more pressing the last five years till this offseason.

As bad as some of the fans are I think the self loathing in this thread is equally over the top. Plenty of fan bases irrationally attack the team but not many engage in civil war with each other like this one.

Edited by NJDevs4978

As bad as some of the fans are I think the self loathing in this thread is equally over the top. Plenty of fan bases irrationally attack the team but not many engage in civil war with each other like this one.

Clearly - our team is bad and we should feel bad.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Yea I'm sure it really affected Parise and Kovalchuk as opposed to going home and collecting millions? What big FA's have the Devils lost out on the last five years? Especially ones where we offered the most money (almost all FA's are motivated by money or home). There weren't any to begin with lol, the new CBA sees to that. Even if there were money issues were a lot more pressing the last five years till this offseason.

I'm just offering up one possibility as to why someone might not want to play here. Half of the fan base is split on the You Suck chants, it's reasonable to assume it bothers some players too. 

I'm just offering up one possibility as to why someone might not want to play here. Half of the fan base is split on the You Suck chants, it's reasonable to assume it bothers some players too.

If the players care about who chants what in the stands, then maybe that's part of the problem.

....hey at least no one's throwing jerseys on the ice.....yet :P

(oops, just gave the idiots a new idea.....)

I have to say not only do I totally agree with the OP, but also I was relieved to read it. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

We were STH for 12 years, ending the year the Devils moved to the Rock. It was no longer possible for us to make it there by 7pm. Even then, we made it to about

15 games a season, plus ALL playoff games for a couple more years. Gradually we enjoyed it less and less because it felt as if the fan base was getting more disrespectful.

We attended fewer games each year, until last year, for the first time in 25 years we didn't attend a single game.

We never miss a game on TV and still consider ourselves huge fans. However the booing, vulgar chants, "crazies", etc make it more enjoyable for us to watch from our couch.

The comments here and on TG's blog are so negative and mean-spirited that I don't read them anymore. Every season new whipping boys. The vitriol for DeBoer is

something I don't understand. We have an AHL lineup plus injuries.

Anyway, just my two cents- I'm sure I'll be criticized and that's ok! Go Devils!