I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

That they don't understand what you're saying is just one of the many examples of their stupidity. You tell a YS person a million times that it isn't some supposed vulgarity that you object to, just that it's stupid and out of place, and they just tell you "stop trying to make this about your family."

And again, the team changes the goal song, to something that could work, and the YS people boo and call everyone else whiners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL at someone complaining about people generalizing a group of people while simultaneously generalizing an entire group of people. I say this as someone who participates in the chant but also doesn't hate the owners or get drunk at games or start altercations with opposing fans. Shocking, I know.

Edited by PWW

LOL at someone complaining about people generalizing a group of people while simultaneously generalizing an entire group of people. I say this as someone who participates in the chant but also doesn't hate the owners or get drunk at games or start altercations with opposing fans. Shocking, I know.

Lol I know. He's completely blind to his own ironic stupidity on the subject.

Well, look, the bottom line is that fans have their fun and chant what they want. The team is going to have a hard time having fans renew or get plans anyway and the price hike isn't helping matters. We aren't in a positiion telling fans what they should or shouldn't be chanting. It's trvival and really not that big of a deal. The alcohol sh!t is so much more problematic then chanting something that is equalevant to "HEY YOU STINK!"

I can't begin to tell you how many times I had beer thrown on me from drunks in the 100s or people yelling stupid sh!t in my face after games or even starting fights with other fans/opposing fans and getting kicked out. That's the sh!t the team and owners need to focus on.

My rep told me that they are going to put this giant bar in the middle of the main concourse next year. They really think that's not going to cause problems? That's asking for trouble. They are getting rid of the goal bar and knocking parts of the ice/fire lounge out to expand and put more bars.

Yet we need to focus on killing off YS. No one else sees how crazy that sounds? Come on guys.

I'm legitimately curious about your thoughts on alcohol, mainly because I only get to go to 2-3 home games a year while I'm in Jersey for Christmas. Do people really buy enough $9+ beers to get drunk enough to act that way? It would just surprise me if so many people have the disposable income to get hammered at the arena alone. I feel like that sort of behavior would be the result of people pre-gaming at bars or with their own booze rather than alcohol sold by the Devils, which makes the Devils helpless to do much other than make sure people aren't bringing flasks into the arena. I'd also be curious to see what sort of revenue the team makes from beer sales- I'd assume putting heavier restrictions on alcohol sales would have a negative effect on them financially, which is why I doubt there would be any huge changes.

The hate towards parents and families has been pretty specific

Lol I know. He's completely blind to his own ironic stupidity on the subject.

So explain how booing when the Devils score a goal because it's so difficult for you and your troglodyte buddies to tell the other team that's beating us how much they suck is not publicly whining about not getting your way?

By contrast, all we do is say that you people are idiots.

So explain how booing when the Devils score a goal because it's so difficult for you and your troglodyte buddies to tell the other team that's beating us how much they suck is not publicly whining about not getting your way?

By contrast, all we do is say that you people are idiots.

I don't know what you're on, but the way you're addressing me one would think I am the vuvuzela ring leader and host of some militant anti-owner FB group lol...Go take your misguided whiny emotions up with someone else.

The chant was barely sensible in the context of having R&R Part 2 as the goal song - at least Nashville had a whole song that goes along with it - now it makes literally no sense at all to just chant 'You suck!'  But it kinda sums up the post-2012 Devils and their fanbase too perfectly to be abandoned.

I'm legitimately curious about your thoughts on alcohol, mainly because I only get to go to 2-3 home games a year while I'm in Jersey for Christmas. Do people really buy enough $9+ beers to get drunk enough to act that way? It would just surprise me if so many people have the disposable income to get hammered at the arena alone. I feel like that sort of behavior would be the result of people pre-gaming at bars or with their own booze rather than alcohol sold by the Devils, which makes the Devils helpless to do much other than make sure people aren't bringing flasks into the arena. I'd also be curious to see what sort of revenue the team makes from beer sales- I'd assume putting heavier restrictions on alcohol sales would have a negative effect on them financially, which is why I doubt there would be any huge changes.

Personally,I get drunk at the bar, then maintain my buzz, stupidly, with $9 beers. I hate myself for paying that the next day when I check my cash supply...

As for restrictions...that's not feasible. How can you stop a person from just going to different vendors? Will they buy license scanners and scan it each time? That seems like a bit much.

• Like 1

The chant was barely sensible in the context of having R&R Part 2 as the goal song - at least Nashville had a whole song that goes along with it - now it makes literally no sense at all to just chant 'You suck!'  But it kinda sums up the post-2012 Devils and their fanbase too perfectly to be abandoned.

Yes. I mean This. And This. I have to take someone tomorrow night to the game who has never been to a hockey game before - let alone a Devils game. Whatever the game maybe like, I'm going to have explain why people are chanting You Suck, Rangers Suck and Flyers Swallow. It's disgraceful.

Yes. I mean This. And This. I have to take someone tomorrow night to the game who has never been to a hockey game before - let alone a Devils game. Whatever the game maybe like, I'm going to have explain why people are chanting You Suck, Rangers Suck and Flyers Swallow. It's disgraceful.

Oh man you'll have to explain something to a friend? Ugh, absolutely sickening!

"Weird traditions!"

It's that simple.  

"Weird traditions!"

It's that simple.  

But they aren't "traditions," this bullsh-t started within the last 10 years.

My explanation, if I am ever asked for one, is that people are idiots, and unfortunately, they're becoming the overwhelming majority. The most recent games I've gone to, a good number of people around me joining in with it were also the same ones who proved on more than one instance that they have very little knowledge of the game nor the team.

Its like once the fan base felt our superiority over the metro area teams began to slip, we had to make up for it with YS or the drawn out Rangers suck "chant".

If we are spitballing? I would put a stop at 2-3 beers/mixed drink per ID. At the VERY least what could be done is something simple, such as getting rid of free booze in the suites or not letting anyone that appears blatently inebriated or intoxicated into the building. The security at the Rock is tough enough to the point that they can kick out anyone trying to sneak in a flask of all things.

And I would also like to point out that I don't hate families or even parents. That is the same generalization that I'm apparently being accused of. However, it's no secret that families and parents are the majority in this and that the plan is to switch to a overly family friendly/generic atmopshere for games. Now, I actually have a Devils ticket plan for next year, I've been a fan of this team since birth and I probably could go toe to toe with anyone when it comes to Devils discussion, memories...etc. However, getting your panties in a bunch over YS is just fvcking laughable.

The point that I was trying to make that it's a chant that can 100% be rationalized with children. As I said earlier, jeering opposing players and teams is a tradition that goes past the Devils, it's the oldest tradition in all of sports. Not just hockey. Chanting HEY YOU SUCK! after the Devils score a goal or the opposing lineups when they are annouced...that's just, childs play.

You can argue "but what if it's a blow out"?!?! Well, personally I don't chant when the Devils are getting blown out but like I mentioned, I rather hear chants of YS then nothing at all or miscued Lets Go Devils chants. There are some games where you can literally hear a pin drop. If you are perfectly content with that, then cool, that's your deal. But people like Daniel who are attacking people and calling them insulting names because they want to chant YS is literally the last way to get your arguement across and comes off worse then the overly militant YSers.

The Devils should crack down on the drunks and the beer/drink sales. My rep said they are going to expand bars in the arena next year. Everyone else thinks that's OK and not asking for trouble but saying "You suck!" is embarassing? Lordy, I can't begin to describe how insane that sounds.

The anti-YSers try to lump YS with the Rangers/Flyers chant and that's equally insulting. One is perfectly harmless and the other is something that needs to legitimately stop. The Flyers/Rangers chant is something I can agree with abolishing. That's wrong and disgusting. However, to get so adiment over a chant that is basically "HEY OTHER TEAM, YOU STINK" is just silly.

People can attack me for being pro-YS, I personally don't care but I don't see the logic in getting rid of it. Especally when there is far worse sh!t going on. You shouldn't have to explain or apologize to someone else that you are going to a game with for chanting "HEY YOU SUCK". Anyone that knows the bare bones of sports should get the logic in the chant. However when it comes to the Rangers/Flyers chant? Absoutely apologize and explain why people feel the need to a$$holes and chant that.

Edited by TheMazz
  • Like 1

If we are spitballing? I would put a stop at 2-3 beers/mixed drink per ID. At the VERY least what could be done is something simple, such as getting rid of free booze in the suites or not letting anyone that appears blatently inebriated or intoxicated into the building. The security at the Rock is tough enough to the point that they can kick out anyone trying to sneak in a flask of all things.

And I would also like to point out that I don't hate families or even parents. That is the same generalization that I'm apparently being accused of. However, it's no secret that families and parents are the majority in this and that the plan is to switch to a overly family friendly/generic atmopshere for games. Now, I actually have a Devils ticket plan for next year, I've been a fan of this team since birth and I probably could go toe to toe with anyone when it comes to Devils discussion, memories...etc. However, getting your panties in a bunch over YS is just fvcking laughable.

The point that I was trying to make that it's a chant that can 100% be rationalized with children. As I said earlier, jeering opposing players and teams is a tradition that goes past the Devils, it's the oldest tradition in all of sports. Not just hockey. Chanting HEY YOU SUCK! after the Devils score a goal or the opposing lineups when they are annouced...that's just, childs play.

You can argue "but what if it's a blow out"?!?! Well, personally I don't chant when the Devils are getting blown out but like I mentioned, I rather hear chants of YS then nothing at all or miscued Lets Go Devils chants. There are some games where you can literally hear a pin drop. If you are perfectly content with that, then cool, that's your deal. But people like Daniel who are attacking people and calling them insulting names because they want to chant YS is literally the last way to get your arguement across and comes off worse then the overly militant YSers.

The Devils should crack down on the drunks and the beer/drink sales. My rep said they are going to expand bars in the arena next year. Everyone else thinks that's OK and not asking for trouble but saying "You suck!" is embarassing? Lordy, I can't begin to describe how insane that sounds.

The anti-YSers try to lump YS with the Rangers/Flyers chant and that's equally insulting. One is perfectly harmless and the other is something that needs to legitimately stop. The Flyers/Rangers chant is something I can agree with abolishing. That's wrong and disgusting. However, to get so adiment over a chant that is basically "HEY OTHER TEAM, YOU STINK" is just silly.

People can attack me for being pro-YS, I personally don't care but I don't see the logic in getting rid of it. Especally when there is far worse sh!t going on. You shouldn't have to explain or apologize to someone else that you are going to a game with for chanting "HEY YOU SUCK". Anyone that knows the bare bones of sports should get the logic in the chant. However when it comes to the Rangers/Flyers chant? Absoutely apologize and explain why people feel the need to a$$holes and chant that.

See you're a rational pro-YS person. I get why you chant it, and we see eye to eye on when its absolutely moronic.

For me, YS is dumb, but that doesnt require explanation.

RS, FS, CW chant does require it because its absolutely unnecessary. Like you stated, our fans have been reduced to not being able to even keep a Let's go Devils chant going for more than two-three goes. But man, they never miss a whistle. THAT is pathetic.

Also from my limited sample size, they ABSOLUTELY need to crack down on the drunks. Between getting beer spilled on, or the tough guys who start crap around them just to show off, or the clowns who talk like they're at a frat house and pretty much act that way, its gotta change.

Edited by jagknife

But you really don't though.

Re Bolded part: You start out by saying how much you hate generalizations and then you generalize parents and families as the ones who are against YS.  Ok then and again it is not about YS being a "bad" word (it isn't).  It is just stupid and embarrassing.

And lol at the reduction of beer sales to get rid of the drunks.  Even Disney sells liquor in its theme parks but you don't see the same crap going on at Devils games.  Plus if you got rid of the beer stands in the arena it is not like old CAA where they were in the middle of nowhere.  There are bars all around the arena and people drink on the train to and from the game so banning or limiting sales of beer in the arena will have little to no effect.

It's all about the maturity level.

RS, FS, CW chant does require it because its absolutely unnecessary. Like you stated, our fans have been reduced to not being able to even keep a Let's go Devils chant going for more than two-three goes. But man, they never miss a whistle. THAT is pathetic.

As someone who does in fact do the YS chant, I do agree with you here. People don't know how to join in on a god damn "Let's Go Devils!" chant for the life of them.

Personally,I get drunk at the bar, then maintain my buzz, stupidly, with $9 beers. I hate myself for paying that the next day when I check my cash supply...

As for restrictions...that's not feasible. How can you stop a person from just going to different vendors? Will they buy license scanners and scan it each time? That seems like a bit much.

Can mark the back of tickets.  Obviously, if you buy your limit and are with someone who is not drinking you could just swap so it isn't perfect.  The other option would be to cut-off beer sales earlier.  However, they are not going to do anything that hurts their bottom-line and beer sales are VERY profitable for the arena.

Even Disney sells liquor in its theme parks but you don't see the same crap going on at Devils games.  Plus if you got rid of the beer stands in the arena it is not like old CAA where they were in the middle of nowhere.  There are bars all around the arena and people drink on the train to and from the game so banning or limiting sales of beer in the arena will have little to no effect.

It's all about the maturity level.

Took the words out of my mouth. The only people I've gotten in a semi-altercation with didn't have an arena-bought beer all game. They drove in, drank in the parking lot and were all kinds of trouble once they got inside. But on the flip side, drunk people at sporting events is nothing new. That's like trying to get everyone in the building to wear the same exact year's/model jersey, never gonna happen.

Took the words out of my mouth. The only people I've gotten in a semi-altercation with didn't have an arena-bought beer all game. They drove in, drank in the parking lot and were all kinds of trouble once they got inside. But on the flip side, drunk people at sporting events is nothing new. That's like trying to get everyone in the building to wear the same exact year's/model jersey, never gonna happen.

Admittedly you are right that drunk idiots at a sporting event is not unique to the Devils.  However I have been to Yankees, Mets, Red Bulls and Nets games in the last 5 or 6 years and haven't had issues with as many drunks as I do at the Devils arena.  I understand the teams of the last 3 seasons including this one can drive anyone to drink but damn it has gotten worse.  On one of the rare occasions I have taken a train earlier this season back in December, there were a group of guys who got on the train who were already wasted and still drank the entire ride to the arena.

As someone who does in fact do the YS chant, I do agree with you here. People don't know how to join in on a god damn "Let's Go Devils!" chant for the life of them.

That's the other thing.  I counted at the Ottawa game earlier this month.  In 1 period I heard 1 LGD chant and 1 Baumann chant, but I heard that damn whistle 4 friggin times.

If there is one thing I unequivocally agree with in this thread, it's that they have to up their handling of alcohol/drunks. At the very least they can't be letting people in who are already clearly inebriated. Last season I got to a game, went to my seats, and someone had vomited all over about 3 or 4 seats including mine and the surrounding area. This was before puck drop. How the fvck was that guy allowed into the building? And then when I complained they acted like they were doing me a favor by moving me a few sections over. No apology. No upgrade. No nothing. Just an "oh well, it happens." Left a really sour taste in my mouth.

I know this is a message board, but how is this still being debated?   The chant is going nowhere.  In fact, it seems to have gotten louder with the vuvuzela. 

HEY, GET OVER IT!

I have a family and have no problem with the chant.  The family argument shouldn't even be a part of this conversation because, if a parent can't explain to their child what the YS chant means, the context it is being used in, and enforce their own values with their child by telling them not to say that word (if they so choose to go that route), then they shouldn't be a parent to begin with or, at the very least, should never leave their house for fear that their poor child will hear something as profane as a word that is synonoumous with the word stinks. 

• Like 1

If there is one thing I unequivocally agree with in this thread, it's that they have to up their handling of alcohol/drunks. At the very least they can't be letting people in who are already clearly inebriated. Last season I got to a game, went to my seats, and someone had vomited all over about 3 or 4 seats including mine and the surrounding area. This was before puck drop. How the fvck was that guy allowed into the building? And then when I complained they acted like they were doing me a favor by moving me a few sections over. No apology. No upgrade. No nothing. Just an "oh well, it happens." Left a really sour taste in my mouth.

To be honest, it's a society issue.  For some reason, people feel the need to get plastered at sporting events.  It's not just Devils games.  I have Giants ST, and the same guys come into ever game just hammered from the tailgate, guzzle beer like they were at a frat party during the game, then leave early to go tailgate and wait out the traffic before leaving the parking lot.  I can't imagine how any of them make it home without wrapping their cars around a telephone pole.  It's sad, pathetic, and a danger.  But as long as these teams keep printing money with beer sales, not much will change.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

The big reason there has been a large increase of this from the old barn to the new arena is the mass transit.  People have no qualms about getting smashed as they are taking the train to and from the game.  How they are getting home from the train station to their homes is another story that I am afraid to find out.

Regardless while the arena should make sure to not serve someone who is clearly bombed, it is also up the to individual to make sure he or she doesn't get to that state.

I know this is a message board, but how is this still being debated?   The chant is going nowhere.  In fact, it seems to have gotten louder with the vuvuzela. 

HEY, GET OVER IT!

I have a family and have no problem with the chant.  The family argument shouldn't even be a part of this conversation because, if a parent can't explain to their child what the YS chant means, the context it is being used in, and enforce their own values with their child by telling them not to say that word (if they so choose to go that route), then they shouldn't be a parent to begin with or, at the very least, should never leave their house for fear that their poor child will hear something as profane as a word that is synonoumous with the word stinks. 

Again, who is arguing that they hate YS because it's some kind of curse word?  It's not and no one is arguing that and I really don't know where you are getting that from. 

People hate YS because it is just dumb and embarrassing.

Edited by DevsMan84