I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

Devil fans as a whole are the most self loathing fanbase out there and this thread constantly proves it.

I disagree with "as a whole".

The only self loathing ones are typically the Ones doing the moronic "rangers suck" chant at a non-Ranger game. It's like the Rangers are that ex-girlfriend that dumped them, but they just can stop talking about her. It just makes Ranger fans feel a little superior.

YS doesn't even accomplish anything. Do any of you really think it hurts their feelings? The only thing YS does is make us look like idiots.

And? It gets their building rocking and it shows actual support for their team.

Edited by Devilsfan118

YS doesn't even accomplish anything.  Do any of you really think it hurts their feelings?  The only thing YS does is make us look like idiots.

I remember when all of your posts on this topic were "I don't care that we do the YS chant, I just wish they at least waited until after the goal song to do it." Now they're doing that, and you're still complaining. Just found it funny because I remember you going on about it for PAGES of debate. Carry on.

The only self loathing ones are typically the Ones doing the moronic "rangers suck" chant at a non-Ranger game. It's like the Rangers are that ex-girlfriend that dumped them, but they just can stop talking about her. It just makes Ranger fans feel a little superior.

So you're disagreeing with the notion that we're self-loathing and then, with your next breath, continuing your criticisms of the fanbase... C'mon, now...

I don't even have a horse in the race. If they ban the vuvuzela next game, I could really care less, but I just have to point out irony when I see it.

Edited by DJ Eco

YS doesn't even accomplish anything.  Do any of you really think it hurts their feelings?  The only thing YS does is make us look like idiots.

You could argue, none of it really accomplishes anything; sports fandom in general. Why even go to games? Why spend money to go when we can watch it perfectly on TV? Does the loud crowd noises of a full arena even affect a pro athlete's performance? They're pros, right? They know how to do their job, why even go? Why even follow sports in general? We could all use our time watching sports to accomplish way more meaningful things, right?

What's next, we shouldn't mock Henrik with a "Heeeeeennrikkkkk!" chant when he lets in a softie? It's not gonna hurt his feelings so why do it? Are we insecure because he's so good???

Edited by DJ Eco

Not disagreeing, but it's been a part of the games for at least 20 years. Stupid or not its a tradition.

I've been going to games since the 80's.  The "Rangers suck" chant has been around since then.  The rest of that chant and the frequency that it is done during the games is something that is more recent.

The Rangers fans do the "Potvin sucks" chant as many times during a game as Davils fans do the "Rangers suck" chant (ok, maybe not, but it's close enough), and at non-Isles games to boot.  Hell, Dennis Potvin has been retired for 20+ years and they still do the chant.  Isles fans do the "Rangers suck" chant at non-Rangers games.  They also do the "If you know the Ranger suck, clap your hands..." thing at every game.  That's their traditions.   It's no different than Arsenal fans singing derogatory songs about Chelsea or Man U during a game against Sunderland, etc.  I don't think it is demonstrative of an inferiority complex for any of the 3 local hockey fanbases.  It's just fans being fanatics, which often includes a hatred of your team's rivals.      

Yeah and they ripped it from a pro wrestler. It's not the least bit original. Nor is it cool.

I think it's original as far as hockey chants go. It shows the crossover appeal Daniel Bryan and WWE has and it's really cool that they incorporated other pop culture, relevant and current pop culture into their fanbase and the team with the chant. Certain fans bitch and moan about YS and it being "embarrassing" and "uncouth" but something like this is something those detractors should of come up with if they truly wanted to please everyone. I'm not an Islanders fan but I think it's pretty cool. It's hip, non-offensive and gets the crowd going.

There isn't really any "current or original" hockey chants TBH. This is pretty fresh. Not sure why so many fans are upset about it, then again I don't get why so many fans get upset over something which pretty much means "HEY OPPOSING TEAM, YOU STINK!"

What is it that you detractors want? Continued silence and miscued LGD chants? Islanders fans did this one right.

Also, I'm in support of chanting "RANGERS SUCK!". That's our biggest rival, it keeps the rivalry strong and has the vibe of "no matter where the Rangers are  playing, they will always suck".  I just think the "Flyers swallow/Crosby watches part" should stop.

Edited by TheMazz

Can you elaborate on this?  About the Yes Yes Yes thing

See my post above.

But basically, YES! YES! YES! is the popular catchline of former WWE champion and current superstar, Daniel Bryan. Islanders have taken to it and made it their own, since Long Island and NY has some legitimate wrestling history it makes sense but after goals or big hits or whatever happen the fans chant YES! YES! YES! It's neat.

Edited by TheMazz

The Yes chant the Isles fans do is one of the coolest chants in sports.  It would be nice if we showed that kind of support for our team when they scored.

Many of their fans hated this when it first started.  It also opens them up to being mocked.  I went out to the Coliseum last Monday for the game.  When the game ended, Rangers fans were doing to YES YES YES chant leaving the arena and it pissed the Isles fans off to know end.  

Many of their fans hated this when it first started.  It also opens them up to being mocked.  I went out to the Coliseum last Monday for the game.  When the game ended, Rangers fans were doing to YES YES YES chant leaving the arena and it pissed the Isles fans off to know end.  

When the Devils got eliminated by the Flyers in 2010, I saw a bunch of Flyers fan yell DUN DUN DUN DUN HEY! YOU SUCK! to Devils fans and mock the old chant as the game ended.

It happens.

Edited by TheMazz

I really can't believe this thread is still going.  I can say there are plenty of Rangers fans who hate the Potvin Sucks thing.  There was actually a group of weenies in my old section who used to yell, "So do you", after it was done and when someone starts to whistle, people will yell for them to shut up.

I don't get those complaining about having to explain different chants to people going to a game for the first time.  If they are that up-tight, then a hockey game is probably not their cup of tea.  Bring them to a Broadway play or tennis match instead.  As far as explaining it to little kids, oh well.  My dad used to take me to WWF when I was a little kid.  He made it clear that if I repeated certain things I heard at those events, it would be the last time he took me.  He wasn't into it, but I was, moreso than real sports until I was about 9 or 10.  

I really can't believe this thread is still going.  I can say there are plenty of Rangers fans who hate the Potvin Sucks thing.  There was actually a group of weenies in my old section who used to yell, "So do you", after it was done and when someone starts to whistle, people will yell for them to shut up.

I don't get those complaining about having to explain different chants to people going to a game for the first time.  If they are that up-tight, then a hockey game is probably not their cup of tea.  Bring them to a Broadway play or tennis match instead.  As far as explaining it to little kids, oh well.  My dad used to take me to WWF when I was a little kid.  He made it clear that if I repeated certain things I heard at those events, it would be the last time he took me.  He wasn't into it, but I was, moreso than real sports until I was about 9 or 10.  

Well if this was attitude era WWF (1997-1999) when Rock and Austin were at the forefront then you totally wouldn't want to repeat any of the stuff going on back then. THAT was pretty unfamily oriented.

If you are talking about the 80s - mid 90s WWF...then that's pretty tame. Wrestling didn't start getting this massive attitude until ECW became really popular in the early/mid 90s, then WCW followed suit with the NWO...then came the attitude era of the WWF.

My nerd side is showing. Sorry. Lol.

I've been going to games since the 80's.  The "Rangers suck" chant has been around since then.  The rest of that chant and the frequency that it is done during the games is something that is more recent.

The Rangers fans do the "Potvin sucks" chant as many times during a game as Davils fans do the "Rangers suck" chant (ok, maybe not, but it's close enough), and at non-Isles games to boot.  Hell, Dennis Potvin has been retired for 20+ years and they still do the chant.  Isles fans do the "Rangers suck" chant at non-Rangers games.  They also do the "If you know the Ranger suck, clap your hands..." thing at every game.  That's their traditions.   It's no different than Arsenal fans singing derogatory songs about Chelsea or Man U during a game against Sunderland, etc.  I don't think it is demonstrative of an inferiority complex for any of the 3 local hockey fanbases.  It's just fans being fanatics, which often includes a hatred of your team's rivals.      

If the Devils are playing the Rangers, I am totally fine with this it in the Heat of the battle.  If you watching another team, its just stupid.    

You can't compare the "Potvin sucks" chant which is a tradition based on a specific play that altered the Rangers direction for decades, and the insecure venting that goes on at the Rock.

Well if this was attitude era WWF (1997-1999) when Rock and Austin were at the forefront then you totally wouldn't want to repeat any of the stuff going on back then. THAT was pretty unfamily oriented.

If you are talking about the 80s - mid 90s WWF...then that's pretty tame. Wrestling didn't start getting this massive attitude until ECW became really popular in the early/mid 90s, then WCW followed suit with the NWO...then came the attitude era of the WWF.

My nerd side is showing. Sorry. Lol.

Talking 83-86ish.  Was more about what I heard the fans yelling to the Wrestlers than the wrestlers themselves.  I went several shows in small venues (tottenville HS, Holy Child Church in Staten Island) where pretty much the whole crowd could be heard by everyone else.

If the Devils are playing the Rangers, I am totally fine with this it in the Heat of the battle. If you watching another team, its just stupid.

You can't compare the "Potvin sucks" chant which is a tradition based on a specific play that altered the Rangers direction for decades, and the insecure venting that goes on at the Rock.

The chant is OUR tradition. Don't like it? Tough sh!t.

I admit, when we were up on the Isles, our whole section mocked a huge group of Isles fans by doing "YES YES YES!" after our Devils' goals. And of course, we lost the lead in the last few minutes and lost in OT so that didn't end well...