I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

Exactly. But that is way too rationale of a thought for some people here to understand. It has to be about the YS chant. Everything that happens with this team and fanbase is about the YS chant.

We all know that Ryder can't score because he thinks the fans are telling him he sucks every time he does, and his fragile ego just can't handle it.

Im actually one of the lucky ones who didn't have the price of my seats increase but that just means mine will probably go up next year and if we are just as bad next year, which as this rate is looking most likely that will be missing the playoffs 4 years in a row and 5 out of the last 6 years.

The you suck chants aren't going to be what keeps fans out of the building. Horrible decisions to raise tickets prices added to a poor on ice product is what will be keeping fans away in droves.

This idea that the owners 'saved' the franchise is a little much. Bailed them out of debt sure, but the team is tethered to the Prudential Center for at least like 15-20 years, they weren't going anywhere.

Just because you have a lease for 15-20 years doesn't  mean you have to have a hockey team in it. The Devils bleed millions. If Vanderbeek was still here, there would be no NJ Devils.

If the Devils shut operations down tomorrow, the Prudential Center would be go along just fine. 

The question was, why do devil fans boo the owners? What did they do?  btw,  Ticket prices will go up, again!  Regardless of how sh>tty the Devils play, or they make the playoffs. I'll still go when I can. 

Just because you have a lease for 15-20 years doesn't  mean you have to have a hockey team in it. The Devils bleed millions. If Vanderbeek was still here, there would be no NJ Devils.

If the Devils shut operations down tomorrow, the Prudential Center would be go along just fine. 

The question was, why do devil fans boo the owners? What did they do?  btw,  Ticket prices will go up, again!  Regardless of how sh>tty the Devils play, or they make the playoffs. I'll still go when I can. 

You think the NHL's going to let a new arena in NJ be vacated?  When they've done everything under the sun to keep the Coyotes in a bad market in an arena that's in a bad location?  And it would probably cost billions to break that lease unless there is some sort of bankruptcy clause (first I've ever heard of it, outside of the movie Major League).

And honestly yes booing the owners is stupid but as usual people are just using it to support or argue against an agenda. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the YS chant is offensive. I just think its stupid and embarrassing.

Agree 100%. I am tired of apologizing to friends from out of state for having to experience the stupidity at the Rock. I will probably end up going to MSG for games, as our "fan" base makes Ranger fans look like hockey sages by comparison.

They weren't booed cause of the you suck chant they were booed because of the price increase in tickets when this team has no right to do a price increase with 3 straight years of no playoffs and this awful current team that we have to watch

It's plenty easy for islanders fans to have passion again all of a sudden when they have one of the best teams in the league. The majority of their fans are front runners just like the majority of sports fans in general. .[/quote

That's actually not true. I live on li and everyone I know and meet has been isles fans since birth. yes there are front runners now, but I think that's more the causal long islander realizing 1. they're pretty good this yr,and 2. After this season they won't be in nassau anymore and will move to Barclay's(which ultimately I don't think will be successful)

The only thing embarassing is the Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow chant. Anyone that thinks chanting YS at the opposing team is "embarassing" really is overthinking things.

"Oh how am I going to explain this sort of chant to my child! Think of the children! This is an insult to the sport!"

No. You explain it like this. YS = You Stink. Jeering the opposing team and opposing players is pretty much the biggest tradition when it comes to ANY sport. What do you guys want? A big kumbaya session after goals are scored by either side? It's the tamest thing you can do in sports. These players are tough guys, they have thick skin, anyone who thinks getting jeered bothers the opposing players is really kidding themselves.

On the other hand, the Rangers Sucks, Flyers Swallows chant is pretty stupid and has no place. That I can see getting rid of and ridding completely. I have no problem with that. However, there is a thin line when it comes to family friendly and overly PC. Just don't be a dickweed at games.

Edited by TheMazz

The only thing embarassing is the Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow chant. Anyone that thinks chanting YS at the opposing team is "embarassing" really is overthinking things.

"Oh how am I going to explain this sort of chant to my child! Think of the children! This is an insult to the sport!"

No. You explain it like this. YS = You Stink. Jeering the opposing team and opposing players is pretty much the biggest tradition when it comes to ANY sport. What do you guys want? A big kumbaya session after goals are scored by either side? It's the tamest thing you can do in sports. These players are tough guys, they have thick skin, anyone who thinks getting jeered bothers the opposing players is really kidding themselves.

On the other hand, the Rangers Sucks, Flyers Swallows chant is pretty stupid and has no place. That I can see getting rid of and ridding completely. I have no problem with that.

But chanting YS down 5-1, clearly out of the playoffs makes perfect sense, got it.

But chanting YS down 5-1, clearly out of the playoffs makes perfect sense, got it.

It's about living in the moment and having fun at games. I personally don't chant it when we are down 5-1 and apparently this team isn't "out of the playoffs" anymore. I'll say this though. I rather hear fans chant YS down 5-1 then hearing nothing at all or out of sync chants.

If the Devils really wanted to counter a$$holeyness they would eliminate free booze in the suites, put a limit on beer and other booze sales to prevent drunkenness...that type of stuff. That's what causes more dickheadedness rather than chanting YS. Our priorties aren't in order.

Edited by TheMazz

It's about living in the moment and having fun at games. I personally don't chant it when we are down 5-1 and apparently this team isn't "out of the playoffs anymore". I'll say this though. I rather hear fans chant YS down 5-1 then hearing nothing at all or out of sync chants.

If the Devils really wanted to counter a$$holeyness they would eliminate free booze in the suites, put a limit on beer sales to prevent drunkenness...that type of stuff. That's what causes more dickheadedness rather than chanting YS. Our priorties aren't in order.

There we go.

The obnoxiousness of a large percentage is absolutely fueled by alcohol. People peg the younger crowd for the growth of YS, but it is also part of the crowd who came up in the 90s who now get a buzz going and feel like they're back in high school/college all over again and use it as their excuse.

There are so many damn problems with the organization and fan base, the losing just magnifies everyone's perception even further.

There we go.

The obnoxiousness of a large percentage is absolutely fueled by alcohol. People peg the younger crowd for the growth of YS, but it is also part of the crowd who came up in the 90s who now get a buzz going and feel like they're back in high school/college all over again and use it as their excuse.

There are so many damn problems with the organization and fan base, the losing just magnifies everyone's perception even further.

Well, look, the bottom line is that fans have their fun and chant what they want. The team is going to have a hard time having fans renew or get plans anyway and the price hike isn't helping matters. We aren't in a positiion telling fans what they should or shouldn't be chanting. It's trvival and really not that big of a deal. The alcohol sh!t is so much more problematic then chanting something that is equalevant to "HEY YOU STINK!"

I can't begin to tell you how many times I had beer thrown on me from drunks in the 100s or people yelling stupid sh!t in my face after games or even starting fights with other fans/opposing fans and getting kicked out. That's the sh!t the team and owners need to focus on.

My rep told me that they are going to put this giant bar in the middle of the main concourse next year. They really think that's not going to cause problems? That's asking for trouble. They are getting rid of the goal bar and knocking parts of the ice/fire lounge out to expand and put more bars.

Yet we need to focus on killing off YS. No one else sees how crazy that sounds? Come on guys.

A lot of fkn whiny, overly sensitive miserable people in this fan base, that much is true.

We're not the ones that boo when we score goals because it's less convenient to say our stupid chant. If anything, the only whiny ones are the YS people that have to make a big spectacle of themselves when they don't get what they want. It's like a three year old that has a temper tantrum in the middle of the store because his parents didn't get him the toy he wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're not the ones that boo when we score goals because it's less convenient to say our stupid chant. If anything, the only whiny ones are the YS people that have to make a big spectacle of themselves when they don't get what they want. It's like a three year old that has a temper tantrum in the middle of the store because his parents didn't get him the toy he wanted.

Oh, the humanity...Someone booed? How will we ever survive going to a hockey game again

Edited by devlman

This thread has quickly amounted to "You don't like what I like so you're clearly dumber than I am". Clearly we're getting somewhere with this argument.

Quit equating thinking its stupid to some militant parenting effort. I've been a fan of this team longer than some people of this board have been alive. 30 years later, I happen to have kids. Now I'm somehow a target / scapegoat to a faction of fans for the crime of raising them Devils fans too.

I could really give a hoot about the chant, but the goto "F'ing parents" argument is pretty infuriating.

Edited by mxm262

Quit equating thinking its stupid to some militant parenting effort. I've been a fan of this team longer than some people of this board have been alive. 30 years later, I happen to have kids. Now I'm somehow a target / scapegoat to a faction of fans for the crime of raising them Devils fans too.

I could really give a hoot about the chant, but the goto "F'ing parents" argument is pretty infuriating.

That they don't understand what you're saying is just one of the many examples of their stupidity. You tell a YS person a million times that it isn't some supposed vulgarity that you object to, just that it's stupid and out of place, and they just tell you "stop trying to make this about your family."

And again, the team changes the goal song, to something that could work, and the YS people boo and call everyone else whiners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree.

You would think that families are the worst people in the world from what you see posted here, on FB, Twitter and other boards.

Hit the nail right on the head