I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

Admittedly you are right that drunk idiots at a sporting event is not unique to the Devils.  However I have been to Yankees, Mets, Red Bulls and Nets games in the last 5 or 6 years and haven't had issues with as many drunks as I do at the Devils arena.  I understand the teams of the last 3 seasons including this one can drive anyone to drink but damn it has gotten worse.

Not that I disagree with you or don't believe you, but do you go to Yankees/Mets/RB/Nets games as often as you do Devils games? I mean, you/me/those of us who go to 20, 30, 40+ Devils games a year, we're bound to see a lot of sh!t. I too see a more calm, less offensive atmosphere at Mets games, but I only go to about 3-4 per season.

And as for the Red Bulls, I go to about 10+ games a year and sit with the Garden State Ultras and oh man, there are some real savages at those games haha... I say it proudly because that's how I envision a hostile soccer home stadium environment should be. And the team's home record last year and the ebbs and flows of some of the pivotal games showed the influence that the crowd had, for better or worse. They won some really unlikely games during the playoff run, and the crowd was phenomenal. But it was a more PG-13 atmosphere than most years, when RB games were extremely family friendly. I'm curious to see how that changes going into this season coming off an amazing playoff run.

If there is one thing I unequivocally agree with in this thread, it's that they have to up their handling of alcohol/drunks. At the very least they can't be letting people in who are already clearly inebriated. Last season I got to a game, went to my seats, and someone had vomited all over about 3 or 4 seats including mine and the surrounding area. This was before puck drop. How the fvck was that guy allowed into the building? And then when I complained they acted like they were doing me a favor by moving me a few sections over. No apology. No upgrade. No nothing. Just an "oh well, it happens." Left a really sour taste in my mouth.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to keep it together for a half minute while going through ticket check. Security can only do so much, if someone knows how to put a brave face on and squeak through. And then, they get another drink or a shot at the bar inside, and that sets them off.

I don't know, if we start witch-hunting everyone who "looks drunk", we'll have a more empty arena than we do now. Unfortunately, there's a fine line (or one drink or two) between the guy who's harmlessly drunk and having a good time and the guy who's gotta puke suddenly. As someone who rides public transit at crazy hours of the night, I see it all the time haha... Someone gets on with a brave face and then pukes, while the really really drunk guy you thought was trouble, he keeps it together.

Edited by DJ Eco

Not that I disagree with you or don't believe you, but do you go to Yankees/Mets/RB/Nets games as often as you do Devils games? I mean, you/me/those of us who go to 20, 30, 40+ Devils games a year, we're bound to see a lot of sh!t. I too see a more calm, less offensive atmosphere at Mets games, but I only go to about 3-4 per season.

And as for the Red Bulls, I go to about 10+ games a year and sit with the Garden State Ultras and oh man, there are some real savages at those games haha... I say it proudly because that's how I envision a hostile soccer home stadium environment should be. And the team's home record last year and the ebbs and flows of some of the pivotal games showed the influence that the crowd had, for better or worse. They won some really unlikely games during the playoff run, and the crowd was phenomenal. But it was a more PG-13 atmosphere than most years, when RB games were extremely family friendly. I'm curious to see how that changes going into this season coming off an amazing playoff run.

I've sat near the Supporters Sections at Red Bull games.  yeah they curse out the other team but they also sing songs and do chants that support their team.  For every chant that puts down the other team, they do at least 3 or more chants that support the Red Bulls.

I go to about 3-5 Yankees games a year as well.  The crowd there is fine and don't really have issues there.  There are certain pockets (mostly in the bleachers) that go on and on forever about how much the Red Sox sucks, but the whole stadium doesn't do chants all game about it.

The big reason there has been a large increase of this from the old barn to the new arena is the mass transit.  People have no qualms about getting smashed as they are taking the train to and from the game.  How they are getting home from the train station to their homes is another story that I am afraid to find out.

Regardless while the arena should make sure to not serve someone who is clearly bombed, it is also up the to individual to make sure he or she doesn't get to that state.

Again, who is arguing that they hate YS because it's some kind of curse word?  It's not and no one is arguing that and I really don't know where you are getting that from.  That argument only exists in the minds of the people who want to keep YS.

People hate YS because it is just dumb and embarrassing.

And others find it fun and entertaining.  So what's your point?  That you know better and the crowd should all do what you want because you're some higher moral authority?  Last time I checked, the word hurts no one.  People go to the games as a form of entertainment.  If they find it entertaining to do the chant because it brings a little life to an otherwise lifeless building, so be it. 

I'm just amazed that management hasn't banned the vuvuzelas from the arena. 

And, I never said people hate the chant because it involves a curse word.  I don't know where you're getting that from because it was never mentioned in my post.  But some people have made the argument that it drives away families because they don't want their kids hearing the chant at the games.  The team management has said as much when they explained why the goal song was being changed.  The family thing was discussed earlier in this thread.  My point related to that argument.

I've sat near the Supporters Sections at Red Bull games.  yeah they curse out the other team but they also sing songs and do chants that support their team.  For every chant that puts down the other team, they do at least 3 or more chants that support the Red Bulls.

I go to about 3-5 Yankees games a year as well.  The crowd there is fine and don't really have issues there.  There are certain pockets (mostly in the bleachers) that go on and on forever about how much the Red Sox sucks, but the whole stadium doesn't do chants all game about it.

Fair enough, but yeah, there's a lot more vile stuff we say in the RB supporters sections that some people in this thread "would have to explain to their friends":

"Dig a hole and fvckin' bury him!" (when a player goes down/dives)

"Can you hear (opposing team) sing? I don't hear a fvckin' thing!"

"Fuuuuuck DC Uniiiiiiiited!" (every 5 minutes during the playoff run haha; they got the whole arena to do it)

"DC United went to Rome to see the pope, and this is what he said: fvck OFF! Whoooo the fvck's DC Uniiiiited? etc."

And countless others. But you ask many people around the arena, and they see the supporters atmosphere as the draw. People who aren't into soccer go to the RB games and first thing they rave about is the supporters and the atmosphere and how much fun it was.

I know it's apples to oranges, but just saying: you need some dumb, immature, and yes, sometimes offensive atmosphere at the games.

Oh that's definitely happening next season. I think they know there'll be a sh!tstorm if they get rid of that this season, but I can't see that vuvuzela being around next season.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

And others find it fun and entertaining.  So what's your point?  That you know better and the crowd should all do what you want because you're some higher moral authority?  Last time I checked, the word hurts no one.  People go to the games as a form of entertainment.  If they find it entertaining to do the chant because it brings a little life to an otherwise lifeless building, so be it. 

And, I never said people hate the chant because it involves a curse word.  I don't know where you're getting that from because it was never mentioned in my post.  But some people have made the argument that it drives away families because they don't want their kids hearing the chant at the games.  The team management has said as much when they explained why the goal song was being changed.  The family thing was discussed earlier in this thread.  My point related to that argument.

Yes you do.  You just said "last time I checked, the word hurts no one."  Again it is not about the friggin words or if it is moral or not.  It's about how dumb and silly it is.  Being stupid and being immoral are two different things.

The only people who are bringing up the family part are the people who like the YS chant and for whatever reason think the people who hate YS are hating it because it's not "family friendly."  None of the people who hate YS are bringing up families but the way the pro-YS people bring it up I can see that there is indeed something that they hate about families for some reason.

Fair enough, but yeah, there's a lot more vile stuff we say in the RB supporters sections that some people in this thread "would have to explain to their friends":

"Dig a hole and fvckin' bury him!" (when a player goes down/dives)

"Can you hear (opposing team) sing? I don't hear a fvckin' thing!"

"Fuuuuuck DC Uniiiiiiiited!" (every 5 minutes during the playoff run haha; they got the whole arena to do it)

"DC United went to Rome to see the pope, and this is what he said: fvck OFF! Whoooo the fvck's DC Uniiiiited? etc."

And countless others. But you ask many people around the arena, and they see the supporters atmosphere as the draw. People who aren't into soccer go to the RB games and first thing they rave about is the supporters and the atmosphere and how much fun it was.

I know it's apples to oranges, but just saying: you need some dumb, immature, and yes, sometimes offensive atmosphere at the games.

Oh that's definitely happening next season. I think they know there'll be a sh!tstorm if they get rid of that this season, but I can't see that vuvuzela being around next season.

"Some" is the key word here.  Judging by how many people are still doing the YS chant to the friggin vuvuzela it's more than just some.

"Some" is the key word here.  Judging by how many people are still doing the YS chant to the friggin vuvuzela it's more than just some.

But keep in mind you and your YS side have been negatively generalizing the fan base for saying YS when this year (and last) is not a complete representation of our entire fan base. The folks going to games this year are hardcore and loyal and pretty much bored at games. If we had a better on-ice product, there would be more demand for tickets, and a wider demographic coming through the turnstiles (and a less-bored and frustrated one, too) - and then YS would be chanted in proportion with other things. 2012 had YS, LGD and loads other chants. 2014-15 has been so awful, Im gona excuse fans for not wanting to sing LGD 10 times a game this year.

Hey! WHO CARES!

Thank you - much ado about nothing in this thread at this point.

But keep in mind you and your YS side have been negatively generalizing the fan base for saying YS when this year (and last) is not a complete representation of our entire fan base. The folks going to games this year are hardcore and loyal and pretty much bored at games. If we had a better on-ice product, there would be more demand for tickets, and a wider demographic coming through the turnstiles (and a less-bored and frustrated one, too) - and then YS would be chanted in proportion with other things. 2012 had YS, LGD and loads other chants. 2014-15 has been so awful, Im gona excuse fans for not wanting to sing LGD 10 times a game this year.

Agreed - I alluded to this same point earlier in the thread.  People are probably so damn bored at games this year that they're probably struggling to find ways to entertain themselves.

I'm not inclined to start a "let's go Devils" chant if there's nothing going on on-ice.  

Agreed - I alluded to this same point earlier in the thread. People are probably so damn bored at games this year that they're probably struggling to find ways to entertain themselves.

I'm not inclined to start a "let's go Devils" chant if there's nothing going on on-ice.

Pretty sure I've seen more games than goals in the last two years. Seen 2-3 shutouts in 8 games I think. It puts a damper on the fun for sure.

The turnstiles were not turning much either during the late 90's and early 2000's but people were not chanting YS (that didn't come until 2007ish) and while the product on the ice was top notch, many games were a complete snoozefest outside of the 99-00 and 00-01 seasons.  Also the YS chant originated during the good times and was loud and clear in the 2012 playoff run, so to rationalize it as a way of fans venting is silly.

The on-ice product sucks, but I am still supporting my team as after almost 20 years of excellent hockey, I think I can overlook a few frustrating seasons of piss-poor hockey and will continue to chant Let's Go Devils at every game.  A lot of fans don't want to and quite frankly I think we would be better off without these "fans".

Agreed - I alluded to this same point earlier in the thread.  People are probably so damn bored at games this year that they're probably struggling to find ways to entertain themselves.

Been to or remember a game from about 96-99 right before the A-line?  Those games made watching paint dry an extreme sport.  I mean Holik lead the team in scoring in both 96-97 and 97-98.

Edited by DevsMan84

The turnstiles were not turning much either during the late 90's and early 2000's but people were not chanting YS (that didn't come until 2007ish) and while the product on the ice was top notch, many games were a complete snoozefest outside of the 99-00 and 00-01 seasons.  Also the YS chant originated during the good times and was loud and clear in the 2012 playoff run, so to rationalize it as a way of fans venting is silly.

The on-ice product sucks, but I am still supporting my team as after almost 20 years of excellent hockey, I think I can overlook a few frustrating seasons of piss-poor hockey and will continue to chant Let's Go Devils at every game.  A lot of fans don't want to and quite frankly I think we would be better off without these "fans".

Been to or remember a game from about 96-99 right before the A-line?  Those games made watching paint dry an extreme sport.  I mean Holik lead the team in scoring in both 96-97 and 97-98.

Ok, but this is beside the point I made. How far back in time do you want to go to prove a point that wasnt made. The chants people entertain themselves at a sporting event can change over time. Edit: and as was mentioned, the team was winning back then anyway.

Edited by devlman

Yes you do.  You just said "last time I checked, the word hurts no one."  Again it is not about the friggin words or if it is moral or not.  It's about how dumb and silly it is.  Being stupid and being immoral are two different things.

The only people who are bringing up the family part are the people who like the YS chant and for whatever reason think the people who hate YS are hating it because it's not "family friendly."  None of the people who hate YS are bringing up families but the way the pro-YS people bring it up I can see that there is indeed something that they hate about families for some reason.

You just keep arguing in a circle and reiterating the same points over and over again.  Maybe YOU never brought the family discussion into the argument, but others have, including the team when they got rid of the goal song.  I know this might be hard for you to understand, but I was making a general comment with my original post and was not directing it at anything you had written in particular. 

And please don't use the word "friggin" in your posts any longer.   I find it to be a dumb and silly butchering of the English language and, frankly, I expect more from someone like yourself. 

The team was winning. Games aren't nearly as boring when the results are there.

They were boring as could be and the atmosphere was so quiet they would rival what we have been seeing at the Rock this year.  I remember going to games where the upper deck at the CAA had no more than 1-2K in them and that deck was HUGE.

Results helped, but those games were pretty boring.

You just keep arguing in a circle and reiterating the same points over and over again.  Maybe YOU never brought the family discussion into the argument, but others have, including the team when they got rid of the goal song.  I know this might be hard for you to understand, but I was making a general comment with my original post and was not directing it at anything you had written in particular. 

And please don't use the word "friggin" in your posts any longer.   I find it to be a dumb and silly butchering of the English language and, frankly, I expect more from someone like yourself. 

lol you are arguing that people who hate YS are the ones who are offended yet you are offended at me using friggin.  Good lord talk about going in circles.  Do you want me to say fvcking?  Will that help you sleep a little better?

Which poster who is against YS brought up the families point?  You can't point one out to me.

And love the "not directed at you but making a general comment" part.  You were responding directly to my post (#284 on this thread)!

But go ahead keep playing the game of "I don't have a pony in this race, but I am still going to keep commenting."  It's old and you have done this many times before.

Edited by DevsMan84

lol you are arguing that people who hate YS are the ones who are offended yet you are offended at me using friggin.  Good lord talk about going in circles.  Do you want me to say fvcking?  Will that help you sleep a little better?

Holy Hell!  It was a joke!!!  The fact that you thought that comment was serious says everything I need to know about you.  My god, you need to get a life and, hopefully, get laid doing it.

Holy Hell!  It was a joke!!!  The fact that you thought that comment was serious says everything I need to know about you.  My god, you need to get a life and, hopefully, get laid doing it.

Figures and nice way to try to save face.  Yeah like those come through real well when you are in the middle of attacking me...on a message board...where we can't see or hear the other person.

Figures and nice way to try to save face.  Yeah like those come through real well when you are in the middle of attacking me...on a message board...where we can't see or hear the other person.

Got it.   Next time I'll use an emoji to clue you in on the joke.  :doh1:   I thought you would have figured it out when I used your own words in it, but I guess I was wrong. 

BTW...my original post was post #278, which last time I checked is before #284.  The only time I attacked you is after you started in on me with post #280.  But, don't let the facts get in your way. 

Got it.   Next time I'll use an emoji to clue you in on the joke.  :doh1:   I thought you would have figured it out when I used your own words in it, but I guess I was wrong. 

BTW...my original post was post #278, which last time I checked is before #284.  The only time I attacked you is after you started in on me with post #280.  But, don't let the facts get in your way. 

You are indeed that your original post was 278, so I will give you that.

But oh! Look at that!  You were trying to pin this on families and stating that the people who hate YS hate it because it is a "dirty" word. 

"I know this is a message board, but how is this still being debated?   The chant is going nowhere.  In fact, it seems to have gotten louder with the vuvuzela. 

HEY, GET OVER IT!

I have a family and have no problem with the chant.  The family argument shouldn't even be a part of this conversation because, if a parent can't explain to their child what the YS chant means, the context it is being used in, and enforce their own values with their child by telling them not to say that word (if they so choose to go that route), then they shouldn't be a parent to begin with or, at the very least, should never leave their house for fear that their poor child will hear something as profane as a word that is synonoumous with the word stinks."

And here is your post 284 AFTER that:

"And, I never said people hate the chant because it involves a curse word.  I don't know where you're getting that from because it was never mentioned in my post.  But some people have made the argument that it drives away families because they don't want their kids hearing the chant at the games.  The team management has said as much when they explained why the goal song was being changed.  The family thing was discussed earlier in this thread.  My point related to that argument."

Edited by DevsMan84

They were boring as could be and the atmosphere was so quiet they would rival what we have been seeing at the Rock this year.  I remember going to games where the upper deck at the CAA had no more than 1-2K in them and that deck was HUGE.

Results helped, but those games were pretty boring.

But again, what is your point? You summed up earlier that the problem you have with YS is that it is not Some of the time, but Most of the time. So I mentioned how on-ice product had to with the ratio of various chants at any given game. Going back to the 90s doesnt add anything to the discussion as the YS chant didnt exist back then. If anything your post supports the fact that the Pru Center made our atmosphere astronomically better. Much of that was due to mass transit, and having a bit of a rowdy element in the building. 

I miss the old days. The board was much smoother.

It's a sporting event for Christ sake. Some of the anti-YS people are so fvcking smug they should join the suits sitting at the Garden checking Twitter religiously on updates of the game going on in front of them because they have their heads so far up their ass they can't take their eyes off their phone.

YS is fine and obviously a large portion of the fanbase is ok with it if it's being produced on the ground level.

On the other hand, if you feel the need to scream "Flyers swallow" or any of that crap, you are a certified moron and need to can it.

But again, what is your point? You summed up earlier that the problem you have with YS is that it is not Some of the time, but Most of the time. So I mentioned how on-ice product had to with the ratio of various chants at any given game. Going back to the 90s doesnt add anything to the discussion as the YS chant didnt exist back then. If anything your post supports the fact that the Pru Center made our atmosphere astronomically better. Much of that was due to mass transit, and having a bit of a rowdy element in the building. 

This is actually a fair post and I appreciate that.  Thank you.

I disagree about the rowdy element part.  I mean there were plenty of rowdiness back at CAA, but not to the level you see at the Prudential Center.  I am not saying its to the level of Philly, but I hear plenty about people wanting to "protect home ice" and make visitors "uncomfortable."  I mean really?  Are we trying aspire to be Philly?  I certainly hope not.

For many years I was and still am proud that we are not like the mutants down in Philly.  Maybe that's why I get pretty heated when I see and hear fans wanting to aspire to become that as it just sucks to even think that.