I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

Speaks volumes.  

You're right. I must be an idiot because I enjoy myself at games. Didn't you throw a hissy fit and stop posting on an internet message board for awhile because the team got a player you didn't like? You must be much more mature than I am. 

I'm beginning to hate the amount of hate our fans have for our own fans.

Edited by PWW

I'll throw in some comments on the anti-family angle this thread has taken.

I have a 7 year old daughter, so far I have only taken her to one game. The YS chant is something I can easily explain, if I needed to. I am pretty sure she's probably heard the word "suck" used in that context before, in a movie or on TV (where I am able to supervise but you can't catch everything), or more likely, in school or at one of her activities, which often involve older kids.

"Flyers Swallow" is a little harder to explain, but its easy enough to distract her from hearing that because you know it's coming. Not to mention, when that many people are saying something, and you don't know what it is, you can't always make it out anyway. Especially if you are seven.

From a parent's perspective, its a little more difficult to handle the drunk morons who spend the entire game yelling "Crosby's a jerk" for three periods for no apparent reason (this is based on actual experience, luckily she wasn't at that game). I mean seriously, is he that much of a jerk that you had to yell it for two hours? That's just obnoxious whether you have a kid with you or not.

All of the above being said, as a parent, you KNOW there will be obnoxious drunks, offensive chants, etc. when you go to a sporting event. Some places are worse than others but it happens all over the place. So you as a parent have to decide whether you can handle your kid's reaction, otherwise you have the option of not going. I know my daughter will be fine, she understands right and wrong, and all of that.

As long as nothing is directed toward her, its all easily explained or ignored. When I was 10 I wore a Devils hat to a Rangers-Devils game at MSG and a grown man threatened to kill me if I didn't take my hat off. My dad just kind of rushed me away and that was that. It would take everything I have not to knock someone out if that happened to my kid, and honestly, that's probably what would happen.

Is it obnoxious? Maybe. Annoying? At times. Would I expect anyone to take any steps to make it a more family friendly experience for my benefit? Not at all. I am opposed to the changing of the goal song, not because of the YS chant (which I didn't mind and participated in), but because it was a long standing tradition even before the chant.

In terms of people "having to explain" these things to other adults who haven't been to a Devils game before or being embarrassed by them, that's nonsense. Any adult with a half a brain can figure it out, and being embarrassed over the conduct of other people you don't even know but share a team allegiance with is just plain dumb.

I had a friend who was a Kings fan and moved to NJ, and he never understood why the Devils fans chant "Rangers Suck" at games where the Rangers aren't even playing. To which I responded, "Well wherever they are they fvcking suck". He eventually became a Devs fan and realized this was true.

Such a fantastic post - well said, and I agree on all points.

Lock this thread up.. We're done here.

If doing something unoriginal and mindless is how you "enjoy" yourself at games then you are missing a lot.

If the imbecilic actions of yourself and the others taint the experience for actual Devil fans, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Edited by MantaRay

If doing something unoriginal and mindless is how you "enjoy" yourself at games then you are missing a lot.

If the imbecilic actions of yourself and the others taint the experience for actual Devil fans, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Because I yell "you suck"? How is the weather up there on your high horse? I go to 30+ games a year. I cheer. I chant. I don't yell profanities. I introduce new people to the game by bringing them for free with my seasons (literally have introduced 3 current STHs to the game). I don't sell my unused tickets to fans of opposing teams. I don't yell about "swallowing" or any of that. I love this team. But because I yell "you suck" I'm ruining the experience and of inferior intelligence? What a terrible fan I am. I should give up my tickets so someone else can have them. Don't generalize and take a long hard look in the mirror because if I'm one of the fans ruining this team then I have no idea what you even are. 

Please close this thread.

Edited by PWW

That's kind of exactly what you are supposed to do at a sporting event. 

But I'm a bad fan. Didn't you see? Yell "you suck" and in the eyes of some of the most militant anti-YS people and you might as well be the scum of the earth. All I'm trying to get at is that not everyone who enjoys joining in on that chant is a total crazy loon who boos the owners and tells the players they suck to their faces and is cursing and getting in fights and turning this place into Philly north, which is what they'd have you believe.

But I'm a bad fan. Didn't you see? Yell "you suck" and in the eyes of some of the most militant anti-YS people and you might as well be the scum of the earth. All I'm trying to get at is that not everyone who enjoys joining in on that chant is a total crazy loon who boos the owners and tells the players they suck to their faces and is cursing and getting in fights and turning this place into Philly north, which is what they'd have you believe.

You're right I forgot all of that...You Suck!!!!

This thread is getting old and should be closed

New rule: when going to any sporting event don't make an ass of yourself !

1) Why do people keep calling for the thread to be closed? If you can't hang, then stop reading it? Obviously some people still have things to say on the topic. 

2) WHAT?????? Do you have any idea how much stuff you would have to get rid of before that happens???

You're right I forgot all of that...You Suck!!!!

1) Why do people keep calling for the thread to be closed? If you can't hang, then stop reading it? Obviously some people still have things to say on the topic.

2) WHAT?????? Do you have any idea how much stuff you would have to get rid of before that happens???

1) Repetition, same thing being said over and over or in a different way.

2) most people don't make an ass of themselves at work, in a restaurant, at a movie so why at a sporting event.

1) Repetition, same thing being said over and over or in a different way.

2) most people don't make an ass of themselves at work, in a restaurant, at a movie so why at a sporting event.

1) This website would be shut down if you eliminate everything repetitive.

2) True, but where do you draw the line? If you go to a football game and a fat guy is running around with his shirt off and his entire body painted green, that guy is making an ass of himself without saying a word, and he certainly couldn't do that at work, in a restaurant, etc. So that guy should be banned also? By the same logic, if you chant "Let's Go Walmart" over and over while you are working or shopping at Walmart, that wouldn't be acceptable behavior either. There is a certain level of behavior that is beyond the norm that is acceptable at a sporting event, so who decides where the line is?

1) Why do people keep calling for the thread to be closed? If you can't hang, then stop reading it? Obviously some people still have things to say on the topic. ?

But it's the SAME things over and over again and it's not exactly constructive to have the board constantly fighting with each other. Especially when 30% of the thread is one guy who can't wait to find an excuse to complain about the fans, 30% is another poster constantly calling him out and 35% is the same old complaining about YS.

Devil fans as a whole are the most self loathing fanbase out there and this thread constantly proves it.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

But it's the SAME things over and over again and it's not exactly constructive to have the board constantly fighting with each other. Especially when 30% of the thread is one guy who can't wait to find an excuse to complain about the fans, 30% is another poster constantly calling him out and 35% is the same old complaining about YS.

Devil fans as a whole are the most self loathing fanbase out there and this thread constantly proves it.

QFT.  Especially the bolded.

• Like 1

But you keep reading it...

Not all the time, and it's got a certain car wreck quality you can't help rubbernecking.

I mean when something new happens like the Zajac thing, fine let it have its own mini thread and die. This thread is like the river of slime in Ghostbusters 2, feeding on hate - even the title itself is inflammatory

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not all the time, and it's got a certain car wreck quality you can't help rubbernecking.

I mean when something new happens like the Zajac thing, fine let it have its own mini thread and die. This thread is like the river of slime in Ghostbusters 2, feeding on hate - even the title itself is inflammatory

I don't necessarily agree with you, because if it bothers you you can just not click on it, but I have to respect your excellent Ghostbusters 2 reference. Well done. 

It's not a matter of 'not liking' a thread.  There's a lot of threads I don't like but there's a difference between a repetitive hockey thread (say Sterio bashing Lou for the thousandth time) and having a thread specifically devoted to fan bashing fan.  I just don't see it as productive.  

It's not a matter of 'not liking' a thread.  There's a lot of threads I don't like but there's a difference between a repetitive hockey thread (say Sterio bashing Lou for the thousandth time) and having a thread specifically devoted to fan bashing fan.  I just don't see it as productive.  

Nor is the Lou bashing productive. Ownership isn't going to fire him based on comments on a message board. But people use it as a place to vent their frustrations. Same too on the fan bashing issue, some people are really put off by things, and they want to talk about it. 

Who are any of us to tell people what they can or cannot post on a message board, assuming they stick to rules and guidelines and a general sense of decorum. 

2) True, but where do you draw the line? If you go to a football game and a fat guy is running around with his shirt off and his entire body painted green, that guy is making an ass of himself without saying a word, and he certainly couldn't do that at work, in a restaurant, etc. So that guy should be banned also? By the same logic, if you chant "Let's Go Walmart" over and over while you are working or shopping at Walmart, that wouldn't be acceptable behavior either. There is a certain level of behavior that is beyond the norm that is acceptable at a sporting event, so who decides where the line is?

Unless you are Icky Woods screaming about cold cuts in a super market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFrsR9NByc4

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Because I yell "you suck"? How is the weather up there on your high horse? I go to 30+ games a year. I cheer. I chant. I don't yell profanities. I introduce new people to the game by bringing them for free with my seasons (literally have introduced 3 current STHs to the game). I don't sell my unused tickets to fans of opposing teams. I don't yell about "swallowing" or any of that. I love this team. But because I yell "you suck" I'm ruining the experience and of inferior intelligence? What a terrible fan I am. I should give up my tickets so someone else can have them. Don't generalize and take a long hard look in the mirror because if I'm one of the fans ruining this team then I have no idea what you even are. 

Please close this thread.

Don't worry. I agree with you. I have seasons, I yell, chant, I don't partake in the Flyers/Rangers chant because that's what is truly moronic but I'm a bad fan because I chant "you suck?" The people that are so embarassed over saying "you suck", jeering another team and their players. truly need to get off their high horse. That or take up water polo or golf...

Edited by TheMazz
  • Like 1

YS doesn't even accomplish anything. Do any of you really think it hurts their feelings? The only thing YS does is make us look like idiots.

It doesn't accomplish anything really. I find it funny personally, but I have a 12 year old's sense of humor most of the time.

I could take it or leave it personally, especially now. They changed the song, get over it. And shove your vuvuzela where the sun don't shine, or at least take some music lessons so you can get at least part of the melody and rhythm correct.