I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

And this is just dumb.  Being a team captain isn't strictly based on ability...there's been plenty of "best player" types who weren't meant to be captains.  I also don't remember some mass outcry over his being named captain when it was announced.  What, do you think the Devils' slide could've somehow been averted if someone else had been named captain?  Sure, in fairy-tale world, a captain is an endless well of inspirational speeches and game-changing plays and someone who somehow manages to get all of his teammates to overachieve.  The captains only have so much impact.   

As for a backlash, I'm sorry, there's no defending someone booing him at a meet-and-greet.  It's a classless act and that's not the place to do it.  Sal's not a bad person; he's merely a bad, aging player who's not what he was.  He's clearly accepted that, as he's made it very easy for the Devils to sit him...if anything, he deserves kudos for being a good soldier. 

You don't? cause i do remember people bashing that decision at the second it was made. And i never said every single captain had to be highly skilled or anything but they had to be leaders and not the worst player on the ice. Salvador WAS the worst player on the ice quite often. Good captains are guys who can go on the ice. When things go bad you look at your captain, the coach, the players, the fans. A captain should be able to step up his game and inspire the team. Throwing puck to the glass and not being able to made a damn outlet pass leading to something that inspire a lot of people. Sure he can sacrifice his body and all but thats not enough.

Who cares that I bash some of our fans and how can I argue back with someone who is not trying to start a reasonable argument but just wants to take a shot at me?  You seem to especially get your panties into a knot when I post about this particular topic.  If it was any other poster you wouldn't have cared but since it was me you HAD to take a shot at me.

How about taking your own advice and not care what my opinion is since it clearly is important enough to you to seek me out every time?  Get a life dude.

Ummm, like I said...I care....me. You look to bash our fans at any chance you get. As soon as you got the smallest bit of hearsay saying something negative about our fans, you HAD to come on here and make it seem like a big thing. Of course, now we find out it was probably only one fan and he got a whipping. You get a rise off of bashing Devils fans, and you go searching throughout various sites to find excuses to do it.

But okay DevsMan, I don't think you get the whole 'I wanted to engage you' point but whatever. The thought that I seek you out every time is laughable, hyperbolic, and paranoid. This is what, the second time we have argued about this? Most of your posts on this board that I read, I have no issue with and I even find interesting sometimes. It's only here in this thread. 

You don't? cause i do remember people bashing that decision at the second it was made. And i never said every single captain had to be highly skilled or anything but they had to be leaders and not the worst player on the ice. Salvador WAS the worst player on the ice quite often. Good captains are guys who can go on the ice. When things go bad you look at your captain, the coach, the players, the fans. A captain should be able to step up his game and inspire the team. Throwing puck to the glass and not being able to made a damn outlet pass leading to something that inspire a lot of people. Sure he can sacrifice his body and all but thats not enough.

I think there was a big outcry over his contract but not over him being named captain. I think most people supported that after the playoffs he had.

I think there was a big outcry over his contract but not over him being named captain. I think most people supported that after the playoffs he had.

I really don't remember that, anyone who watched the playoffs must have known it was an insane fluke and that he'd never achieve that ever again in his whole career. The contract was bad and putting the C on him was bad.

Ummm, like I said...I care....me. You look to bash our fans at any chance you get. As soon as you got the smallest bit of hearsay saying something negative about our fans, you HAD to come on here and make it seem like a big thing. Of course, now we find out it was probably only one fan and he got a whipping. You get a rise off of bashing Devils fans, and you go searching throughout various sites to find excuses to do it.

But okay DevsMan, I don't think you get the whole 'I wanted to engage you' point but whatever. The thought that I seek you out every time is laughable, hyperbolic, and paranoid. This is what, the second time we have argued about this? Most of your posts on this board that I read, I have no issue with and I even find interesting sometimes. It's only here in this thread. 

The Devils fandom extends beyond just this forum, so I will post about what I see and here from other avenues where I get connected to Devils fans.  Again its something else to talk about than trade scenarios, lineup combos until the end of time, and even bashing of the owners which always seems to be somewhat accepted here for whatever reason.  It seemed my post pertinent enough that other posters here felt compelled to comment on it as well and I didn't start a whole new thread about it since even I didn't think it was that huge of an issue (but at least enough to post about it naturally).

As for number of fans, I have heard different things.  I've heard everything from 1 person to an entire family to a decent sized group of fans.  I have no clue as I wasn't there but even just 1 disgusts me.  That is just my opinion.

How about we just end this argument about this now.  I'm willing to admit I went overboard with my reaction to your post.  I am just done with this.

I really don't remember that, anyone who watched the playoffs must have known it was an insane fluke and that he'd never achieve that ever again in his whole career. The contract was bad and putting the C on him was bad.

I think the bigger outcry was some people thought Kovy didn't get the C when it looked like it was going to be given to him since Elias doesn't really want it.

I think Sal's contract is bad but I am kind of indifferent to putting the C on him.  I mean he has had long stretches of being sidelined while wearing that C.

The Devils fandom extends beyond just this forum, so I will post about what I see and here from other avenues where I get connected to Devils fans.  Again its something else to talk about than trade scenarios, lineup combos until the end of time, and even bashing of the owners which always seems to be somewhat accepted here for whatever reason.  It seemed my post pertinent enough that other posters here felt compelled to comment on it as well and I didn't start a whole new thread about it since even I didn't think it was that huge of an issue (but at least enough to post about it naturally).

As for number of fans, I have heard different things.  I've heard everything from 1 person to an entire family to a decent sized group of fans.  I have no clue as I wasn't there but even just 1 disgusts me.  That is just my opinion.

How about we just end this argument about this now.  I'm willing to admit I went overboard with my reaction to your post.  I am just done with this.

Fine, let's end it.  :cheers:  But yeah, if you phrased that articulately at the start, I would have taken no issue. I apologize for the 'jab' btw.

What others said:  the new contract, I remember MANY fans not being thrilled about that...no arguments there.  But I do remember fans not being terribly against Sal being the captain.  And even though we all know the offensive numbers he put up in the SCF run were flukey, he built up a little goodwill off that.  The Devils getting off to an 8-1-3 start or something like that in 2013 didn't hurt much either. 

Fine, let's end it.  :cheers:  But yeah, if you phrased that articulately at the start, I would have taken no issue. I apologize for the 'jab' btw.

Accepted and all good. :cheers:  Like I said I apologize for going overboard on you.

Now let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya! 

Just kidding, nice to see a disagreement resolve itself - definite plus of the laid back moderating we have here.

--------------------------------------------------

To the topic at hand - absolute garbage.  I may dislike Salvador as much as anyone, but I'm not going to freakin boo him at a player-fan event.  That's completely irresponsible, disrespectful, and just.. stupid.  Absolutely stupid.  But, thankfully, it sounds like it was just one moron who was immediately called out by a more knowledgeable fan.

Here are the games I've been to in the last few seasons

08-09- 20+

09-10- 40

10-11- 20+

11-12- 50 including playoffs

12-13- 22 (out of 24)

13-14- 30

14-15- 3

Three games this year. I support this team til the end.... but  I cannot sit in the stands listening to our fans chant things about the Rangers and talk about the Rangers and boo their highlights and talk crap about the Flyers and so on when this season is embarrassing enough. I agree that I hate our fans.

I heard about Salvador being boo'd at the fan event.... made me friggin sick. These are human beings. Sure the guy wasn't playing well in the beginning of the season. You think he's enjoying being hurt and not being able to help his team? I'm even okay with booing from the stands.... but seriously? At a casual event? Those people should be punched I don't care if it's someone on here. I'll punch you.

Edited by njdevil26
  • Like 1

Go to one soccer game across the river in Harrison. You'll never care about hearing the word "suck" again after listening to the crowd sing songs about hanging the referee and watching people hurl rocks at the bus Philly fans showed up in. You'll be banging on the doors of the rock to get back in.

Better rowdy and a little obnoxious than dead silent.

Edited by thecoffeecake

Go to one soccer game across the river in Harrison. You'll never care about hearing the word "suck" again after listening to the crowd sing songs about hanging the referee and watching people hurl rocks at the bus Philly fans showed up in. You'll be banging on the doors of the rock to get back in.

Better rowdy and a little obnoxious than dead silent.

I agree 100% (and I love Red Bulls games, I sit in the supporters section), although I think the main point of the past few pages is directed at the self-loathing crowd, the fans whose only contribution is to boo Schneider or yell out that Zajac sucks.

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. I was a season ticket holder from 05-10 until I went to school. The fans haven't changed all that much from my eyes. Especially the last 3/4 years from what I remember. You don't go to games any more because of the on-ice product, don't try to justify it.

Probably true of a lot of guys.  Bad teams will always keep people away.  For me, the dropoff in attendance began once I had my daughter (now 6 1/2)...and having to do more and more at work (me and my father have been in biz together since 1992, and he is transitioning towards retirement).

But yeah, I'd definitely be more motivated to go more often if the team was better (or showing some upside).  I took my daughter a few times last season, and want to take her again this year, but it's a hard team to watch a lot of nights.  It will be nice when it's a on-its-way-up team that doesn't yet have the wins to show for it, but has some exciting forwards that are learning how to win, as opposed to the dead-men-walking-kind-of-stuck group they are now.  I'd feel a hell of a lot better taking my daughter to games on school nights where she has a chance to see some goals and a win to boot.  She saw one damned Devils goal in three games last season.  That kinda sucks. 

I still watch almost every game on TV when I'm home, sometimes with my daughter, sometimes without.  Even at this age, if she's not watching with me but peeks in and sees the score, she'll say "Daddy, why are the Devils always losing?"  I always tell her they do win some games, even if it doesn't always seem like it. 

As for fan behavior...yeah, some fans kind of suck, but you'll always have that.  Me, my wife, and my daughter all went to a game and three 18-21 somethings were just cursing behind us the entire time, and pretty loudly at that.  I've always said that I will never expect the world to sanitize itself in my kid's presence, but they were just obnoxious and dumb and hard to take.  My wife asked them nicely to please tone it down...they just wound up moving to different seats.  And yeah, though the Rangers suck chant and some other stuff is just stupid, I don't think that crap alone would ever stop me from going to Devils games.   

I don't go anymore because I spend my money on my own hockey leagues....but man every time I go back, I'm less inclined to go back again....the arena is nice but this silly war between the fan base and the management is a mess....the on-ice product doesn't help in that it's just not fun to watch (and Daneyko and Cang are a VERY tough listen as a broadcast team....so even watching at home once they're down 1-2 goals, I tend to wander to Center Ice)....it's just a perfect storm of ugly.....

• 3 weeks later...

Its funny, I had totally forgotten how rabid and crazed I would get about this team....until I started putting those efforts in myself.....then I stumbled onto one of puckdaddy's Brodeur articles and read this quote:

“To be a Devils fan …especially one IN the area, by nature you pick up a certain hostility and a good bit of ‘f--k you’ attitude about things. All you hear all this time ‘your team has no fans,’ ‘your team doesn't belong here,’ ‘the Devils are a nice story, but we'd talk about it 100 times more on WFAN if it was the Rangers,’ ‘your team's boring style is ruining the sport,’ and all that kinda stuff. And it builds up.

“And yes, this team has been THE dominant franchise in the East the last 10 years, and maybe some of that is why you hear the RANGERS SUCK chant all game or why ‘we're classless to other team’s fans.’ Or your little goalie has to hear 19,040 yell SUCKS at him before each game. But being a Devils fan in this area almost REQUIRES that level of attitude, and you don't get it if you're not FROM here and have to live through the day to day stuff like that. Just try to understand that we DO, and it's part of that fighting spirit and the constant feeling of it's the world against US.”

You know who said this about 15 years ago?? .....I did .....maybe it's not changed as much as we thought it did after all..... heh....

• Like 1

I actually should have posted the whole article, it does kinda apply to the state of mind of most NJ folk as fans and our general attitude to things and Brodeur:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/martin-brodeur-and-the-pride-of-new-jersey-175959650.html?bcmt=1422560601092-3e742c8a-f701-4218-a66b-0d0919044912

Thing is, I really do not remember this "attitude" that PD speaks of 15-20 years ago, let alone 10 years ago.  Perhaps some of it had to do with the fact that our season tickets at BBA used to be in the 100's and this stuff was mostly in the 200's (just taking a guess on that).

I used to like the fact that a lot of our fans would not stoop to the level of stupidity of our rivals.  We didn't need to constantly try to prove we are the better team because the team itself did all the talking for us.

Oh it was there....it just wasn't as published back then.....I remember ABC editing out the player intros (in the 03 Finals) because it was "Un-Disney-like" to have us yelling SUCKS at the Duck players during the intros....which only made it louder....the hatred and the attitude was certainly there back then too :)

Thing is, I really do not remember this "attitude" that PD speaks of 15-20 years ago, let alone 10 years ago.  Perhaps some of it had to do with the fact that our season tickets at BBA used to be in the 100's and this stuff was mostly in the 200's (just taking a guess on that).

I used to like the fact that a lot of our fans would not stoop to the level of stupidity of our rivals.  We didn't need to constantly try to prove we are the better team because the team itself did all the talking for us.

Perhaps you dont remember it because you were much younger. Either way, I can assure you that 15-20 years ago, these characteristics and certain fan behaviors certainly existed back then (probably even more so at that, too). In my opinion, it used to be worse. But youre right in that this stuff was more in the isolated uppers and, like Crasher says, far less publicized.

Edited by devlman

Its funny, I had totally forgotten how rabid and crazed I would get about this team....until I started putting those efforts in myself.....then I stumbled onto one of puckdaddy's Brodeur articles and read this quote:

“To be a Devils fan …especially one IN the area, by nature you pick up a certain hostility and a good bit of ‘f--k you’ attitude about things. All you hear all this time ‘your team has no fans,’ ‘your team doesn't belong here,’ ‘the Devils are a nice story, but we'd talk about it 100 times more on WFAN if it was the Rangers,’ ‘your team's boring style is ruining the sport,’ and all that kinda stuff. And it builds up.

“And yes, this team has been THE dominant franchise in the East the last 10 years, and maybe some of that is why you hear the RANGERS SUCK chant all game or why ‘we're classless to other team’s fans.’ Or your little goalie has to hear 19,040 yell SUCKS at him before each game. But being a Devils fan in this area almost REQUIRES that level of attitude, and you don't get it if you're not FROM here and have to live through the day to day stuff like that. Just try to understand that we DO, and it's part of that fighting spirit and the constant feeling of it's the world against US.”

You know who said this about 15 years ago?? .....I did .....maybe it's not changed as much as we thought it did after all..... heh....

No matter what side of the YOU SUCK argument you fall on, that quote is true sh!t. I'm 35 years old. I'm born and raised in North Jersey. I saw my first Devils game when I was 6 years old. This franchise runs through my veins. And that quote summarizes what being a Devils fan in the Tri-State Area can be like very well. If you're not from here, it may be hard to understand.

Oh it was there....it just wasn't as published back then.....I remember ABC editing out the player intros (in the 03 Finals) because it was "Un-Disney-like" to have us yelling SUCKS at the Duck players during the intros....which only made it louder....the hatred and the attitude was certainly there back then too :)

Well then they must have LOVED when we booed Giguere getting the Conn Smythe lmao [emoji1]

People thought Devil fans were classless for booing Giguere getting the Smythe lol...imagine the horror at some of the stuff that goes on now back in 2003 :P

No matter what side of the YOU SUCK argument you fall on, that quote is true sh!t. I'm 35 years old. I'm born and raised in North Jersey. I saw my first Devils game when I was 6 years old. This franchise runs through my veins. And that quote summarizes what being a Devils fan in the Tri-State Area can be like very well. If you're not from here, it may be hard to understand.

Thanks....I've been hearing that a LOT today....been kinda cool to see what going viral feels like :lol:

Its amazing how reading that quote took me back all those years....and the phone convo with Wysh that lead to it....its a shame that book never made it to print......

Well then they must have LOVED when we booed Giguere getting the Conn Smythe lmao [emoji1]

I was one of them....I can vouch for it!!! I personally hated Jiggy-Pout for over a DECADE from that incident :P

Thanks....I've been hearing that a LOT today....been kinda cool to see what going viral feels like :lol:

Its amazing how reading that quote took me back all those years....and the phone convo with Wysh that lead to it....its a shame that book never made it to print......

I was one of them....I can vouch for it!!! I personally hated Jiggy-Pout for over a DECADE from that incident :P

I was one of them too- I booed not because I hated Giguere or anything, but I was annoyed Marty didn't get it. He deserved it. Nieds was also a very worthy and deserving Smythe candidate that year. But in the end, no big- we got the only trophy that really matters. [emoji1]

I was one of them too- I booed not because I hated Giguere or anything, but I was annoyed Marty didn't get it. He deserved it. Nieds was also a very worthy and deserving Smythe candidate that year. But in the end, no big- we got the only trophy that really matters. [emoji1]

I've always been the "hold a grudge" kinda person :P....he also evolved into EVERYTHING I hate about butterfly goalies.....I even cursed myself out for ending up making two butterfly saves out of yoga reflex in Livingston last week....it was a bizarre sight :blink: ....ABC's one-sided coverage that year made me take that Finals VERY personally.....I can't imagine if they had lost :P

Hell I went half-in with my GF at the time for an OVERRATED Ducks #35 jersey.....come to think of it....the bitch still has the damn thing....oh the hatred......