I really am beginning to hate our fans.

HellOnICE

The whole thing is stupid. The YS chant is lame, but management absolutely blew it when it comes to how they handled replacing the goal song. They undoubtedly made things worse with the way the did that.

I feel like if they politely reached out to the STH and other fans through any outlet they could to say that in an attempt to create more younger fans through a more polite atmosphere that they would get rid of R&R Pt2 if the YS chant continued, you might have been able to get a large contingent of fans to push others to end the chant. That would have been more effective then surprising everyone with the change. Then if it didn't work, the only people to blame for the change would be the YS crowd instead of management.

Edited by ATLL765

The whole thing is stupid. The YS chant is lame, but management absolutely blew it when it comes to how they handled replacing the goal song. They undoubtedly made things worse with the way the did that.

I feel like if they politely reached out to the STH and other fans through any outlet they could to say that in an attempt to create more younger fans through a more polite atmosphere that they would get rid of R&R Pt2 if the YS chant continued, you might have been able to get a large contingent of fans to push others to end the chant. That would have been more effective then surprising everyone with the change. Then if it didn't work, the only people to blame for the change would be the YS crowd instead of management.

While I agree the way they handled it when they changed the song initially was bad, I do not think this method would help things either.

Still seems like a whole lot of fuss over nothing to me.

I've admittedly backed off from my initial position - I loved the chant originally but at this point it's getting pathetic.

That said - aren't you guys overreacting just a little bit?  It's just a chant, who cares if people do it or not.. I honestly think the only people judging our fan base for still doing it are Devils fans.. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

Still seems like a whole lot of fuss over nothing to me.

I've admittedly backed off from my initial position - I loved the chant originally but at this point it's getting pathetic.

That said - aren't you guys overreacting just a little bit?  It's just a chant, who cares if people do it or not.. I honestly think the only people judging our fan base for still doing it are Devils fans.. 

I think the chant is just a glimpse into how a sizeable our fanbase thinks which to me is a little scary.  The chant by itself is stupid, silly and juvenile but that is not my issue with it.

My issue is that this is part of a series of chants such as Ranger suck, Flyers Swallow and the If you know the Rangers suck song/chant that is done way too many times at each game.  Last few games I have went to I heard more of these chants in 1 period than I heard Lets Go Devils or a chant for one of our players in the entire game.  Why are we focusing so much energy on what the Rangers and Flyers are doing, especially when we are not even playing them in that game?  It does come off extremely sad.  Why can't we focus on our team and support them instead of constantly saying how bad the other team is or how much so and so sucks?  That's the issue I have.

I agree. I don't mind the chant at all, hell, I take part in them from time to time "when the moment's right". But too many people don't know when the moment's right.

One "Rangers suck!" chant a period is about what my threshold is and that's pushing it. Too many times though, it happens and then someone thinks it'd be funny to start another one 5 seconds later. It's unbelievably not funny. It's like that corny Uncle who tells a joke in teen lingo and after the punchline goes, "Right? RIGHT?" and laughs at the joke to himself, and then instantly tells another joke that's not funny.

And agreed, when we're down 2-1 with a few minutes left and Rangers are winning their game 5-0 in the 1st, it's not a good time to declare the "Rangers suck!"... People need to hone their sense of humors a little bit.

By the way if fans are insistent on telling the other team they suck after a Devils positive (goal), why not chose another time of the game, and give some of that razzing to Jersey's own Bobby Ryan.

“That building is really tough, a lot of players will tell you it’s the worst in the league,” he said. “It’s hard to create. You really have to go in and manufacture (offence) the old fashioned way. You have to take your medicine early, guarding against the long passes or making that extra move.”

I heard the audio of his scrum yesterday, and it goes on a lot longer than the quote in the paper, basically saying the dead arena makes it so tough to get up, and that's a big key to the Devils success is relying on that atmosphere (basically a ton of reiterated stuff that you've heard before). But if Bobby Ryan thinks that, why not let him know that's not the case. And at a better tie than after a Devils goal.

On another note, "TOUGH BUILDING"

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/zibanejads-game-growing-with-help-encouragement-from-ryan

Edited by devilsrule33

I honestly think the only people judging our fan base for still doing it are Devils fans.. 

I'm almost as tired of reading the arguments about the chant as I am tired of the chant itself, and therefore I hate to add to it. But I will jump in to say that this is definitely not the case. Pretty much any time one of my friends, Devils fan or not, goes to a game, they mention later how ridiculous the YS chant is. Of course I understand that my circle of friends is only a small sample size compared to the population at large, and I also realize that people on both sides of the YS debate will read this as support for their position, so I'm not going to argue it either way. I'm just pointing out that it is not only Devils fans judging themselves.

Serious question since I cant watch games where I live and heard this from multiple friends/fans:

Did they actually boo the new owners last night at the Elias pre-game ceremony?

Yes they did boo the owners. Why? what a$$holes! (the fans) The owners saved this franchise.  I think the YS chant is childish. This thread is alive and well.

I'm going to go ahead and quote myself from the GDT last night..

Get out your tinfoil hats guys:

I can't believe there's still some dude with a vuvuzela pioneering the "you suck" chant after goals. After all the owners have gone through to eradicate the chant - why are they allowing this? Am I supposed to believe they aren't able to track this individual (or individuals, possibly) down?

I wonder if they've decided to allow this to appease the idiots still upset about the goal song.

Because it seems to crazy to me that it's still going on.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm sorry (well not really) that I brought this thread back but for fvcks' sake, our fans are children. Over-generalization or not, they're spoiled brats.

Bitch and moan, moan and bitch. They want change, but then when change happens, they cry.

There is no "tradition" with the YS chant, it started less than 10 years ago, and sadly has remained.

If we didn't have new owners, our team would be gone.

Screw almost all of them.

I think the owners are tolerating this until the teams fortunes change. Once we start winning demand for tickets will be there and they can't weeding out the dregs.

Exactly, I get to go to maybe one game a year depending on leave and I think I could pinpoint where the fvcking vuvelzela man-child is sitting. Grow the fvck up, everyone that joins in on that sh!t.

Yes, I'm angry today, and no one pissed in my cheerios.

This idea that the owners 'saved' the franchise is a little much. Bailed them out of debt sure, but the team is tethered to the Prudential Center for at least like 15-20 years, they weren't going anywhere.

Isn't there a bankruptcy clause in the Pru Center tether?

Either way, having owners who are willing to plug money into the franchise is better than having an owner who literally had none

People around me are pissed that their ticket prices were increased 20% coming off of this garbage season, and the generally terrible state this franchise has been in over the last few years.   I didn't boo the new owners, just like I don't boo the team.  But that is why I think those around me were booing them. 

Harris and Blitzer (actually its the Devils management team which they are the head of) have definitely done some good things, but they have also done some really poor things PR wise (and I'm not talking about the stupid goal song).  For example, the last few seasons they held a STH skate with the players night where you could get autographs on the concourse and skate on the main or practice rinks with the players (they were broken up into groups of 3 and rotated between the 3 stations).  Everyone I talked to who attended it raved about that event.  However, for no good reason, they got rid of it this year and replaced it with an autograph session on a Wednesday at 1 p.m.  That is straight up BS as very few people with an actual job or who don't work for themselves will be able to attend that event.  Plus, you basically guarantee few, if any, kids will attend since they will be in school. Not very fan friendly if you ask me.  Another example is going to this stupid points system for the STH perks, which has been an utter mess from the start.   There are other examples, just like there are examples of things they have improved.  But to make it seem like we should all bow at their feet and be grateful for what they have done is ridiculous.  

And, lets get 1 thing straight.  These guys bought the Devils because of the Prudential Center, not the other way around.  If they could have purchased the arena without the team, they would have done so and admitted as much during an interview I read post sale.  So to proclaim them as the savior of all things Devils is a bit much.  

I think they will get over the booing.  I remember a time when John McMullen and Lou Lamoriello got regularly booed (early 90's), and I remember people absolutely wanting to take George Steinbrenner out with a sniper rifle in the late 80's, early 90's.  It is more a reflection of the state of the franchise than it is with them as individuals, and smart people like them know and understand that. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

From what I remember that skate for years was a Gold Circle member event only back when they used to play at BBA/CAA.  The rest of the STH's just had a player meet and greet/autograph event once a year and that was basically it.  From what I have heard over the years, Lou never cared for this event and when the Devils moved to Newark, the Devils stopped selling new Gold Circle tickets and only people who were current members got grandfathered in.  Eventually those people who were grandfathered in and it seems like the Devils and possibly Lou in particular just wanted this event to die.

My point is I do not think this is the owners coming in and getting rid of the skate for whatever reason, but that the demise of the event was set in motion many years ago.  I mean if the owners really hated it they could have replaced it with nothing but they at least did something.

Booing Harris and Blitzer was downright disgraceful.  They saved the team from going bankrupt, and have done nothing to the fans.  The fact that fans are this upset over losing their precious goal song is terrible.  If any of you owned a bar, or business, you wouldn't want your patrons acting out of control and being offensive either.

Even if you think You Suck isn't that bad of a chant like me, it still doesn't take away the fact that it's an offensive chant.  Other fans mock us for chanting it which defeats the purpose of the chant to begin with.

Bottom line, our fans need to grow up, and stop being idiots.  There's a difference between being passionate and being dumb.  We're the latter.  If you want true passion, watch Islanders games.  Isles fans do it right.

Booing Harris and Blitzer was downright disgraceful. They saved the team from going bankrupt, and have done nothing to the fans. The fact that fans are this upset over losing their precious goal song is terrible. If any of you owned a bar, or business, you wouldn't want your patrons acting out of control and being offensive either.

Even if you think You Suck isn't that bad of a chant like me, it still doesn't take away the fact that it's an offensive chant. Other fans mock us for chanting it which defeats the purpose of the chant to begin with.

Bottom line, our fans need to grow up, and stop being idiots. There's a difference between being passionate and being dumb. We're the latter. If you want true passion, watch Islanders games. Isles fans do it right.

They weren't booed cause of the you suck chant they were booed because of the price increase in tickets when this team has no right to do a price increase with 3 straight years of no playoffs and this awful current team that we have to watch

It's plenty easy for islanders fans to have passion again all of a sudden when they have one of the best teams in the league. The majority of their fans are front runners just like the majority of sports fans in general. .

Edited by Satans Hockey

From what I remember that skate for years was a Gold Circle member event only back when they used to play at BBA/CAA.  The rest of the STH's just had a player meet and greet/autograph event once a year and that was basically it.  From what I have heard over the years, Lou never cared for this event and when the Devils moved to Newark, the Devils stopped selling new Gold Circle tickets and only people who were current members got grandfathered in.  Eventually those people who were grandfathered in and it seems like the Devils and possibly Lou in particular just wanted this event to die.

My point is I do not think this is the owners coming in and getting rid of the skate for whatever reason, but that the demise of the event was set in motion many years ago.  I mean if the owners really hated it they could have replaced it with nothing but they at least did something.

They had the skate for STH's, like myself, for the past 2 years, and I'm not a Gold Circle member.  They may have had it for us the few years before when I also had ST's, but I don't recall at this point and definitely didn't attend.  But, my point was more about what they replaced it with ... an autograph event in the middle of the week between 1-3 p.m.  That's ridiculous and insulting to the people that invest a lot of time and money into this team.  They would have been better off replacing it with nothing, since all it has done is piss a lot of people off since this event is a clear attempt to say that they held an event for us, when they know full well that it will be lightly attended.  There is no reason they couldn't have held it at 6 p.m. so more people could attend.  It's just bad business IMO, especially when you are asking people to renew their financial commitment to the team and asking them to pay more for a bad product in the process.

And, I'm not blaming Harris and Blitzer directly.   They certainly aren't running the day to day operations of this franchise.  But, as the heads of this organization, they have accountability for the actions, or inactions, of their subordinates such as Hugh Weber, and Scott O'Neill, guys they hand picked to run the business side of things.   

They weren't booed cause of the you suck chant they were booed because of the price increase in tickets when this team has no right to do a price increase with 3 straight years of no playoffs and this awful current team that we have to watch

It's plenty easy for islanders fans to have passion again all of a sudden when they have one of the best teams in the league. The majority of their fans are front runners just like the majority of sports fans in general. .

Exactly.  But that is way too rationale of a thought for some people here to understand.  It has to be about the YS chant.  Everything that happens with this team and fanbase is about the YS chant. 

We all know that Ryder can't score because he thinks the fans are telling him he sucks every time he does, and his fragile ego just can't handle it.