Ryder Blames His Ice Time for Scoring Drought

Neb00rs

So how do we all feel about Ryder blaming his lack of ice time for his inability to score?

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-right-wing-michael-ryder-frustrated-by-scoring-struggles-limited-ice-time-1.1174353

“When you only play 14, 12, 10 minutes a night, it’s hard to produce. Guys that score 25 goals in the league, just look at all their ice times. It’s a big difference.”

Ryder is averaging 14:30 in ice time per game. He played only 10:08 in Friday’s 3-2 shootout win over Tampa Bay, but that was partly because he spent eight minutes in the penalty box. He played only 12:02 in the 2-0 loss to Ottawa last Wednesday after playing 14:22 in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Islanders last Monday.

He played 19:02, however, in the 4-3 loss in Dallas on Dec. 13.

“When you do play more, the games I did play 19 minutes, I think I played a lot better,” he said. “I’ve been like that my whole career. As the game goes on, you get more flow and you feel better. As the game goes on, the more you get in a rhythm and things happen a lot easier on the ice. When you don’t (get more ice time), it’s the same old stuff where you’re trying to force thing sometimes.”

Ryder sees the magic number as 16 minutes per game. As he noted, he’s played more than 16 minutes nine times. He’s played fewer than 13 minutes eight times in his 33 games.

“If you look at guys around the league who score goals, their average ice time is above 16 minutes a night,” Ryder said. “I just find it tough to produce when you play 12 minutes, 14, 10. It’s hard too because you get one chance a game, two chances, instead of five chances a game. I’ve played over 16 minutes nine times this year, so the games when do get (more ice time), I think I play better. I’ve been like that my whole career.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryder will get killed, and I get it. He has been sh!t, but the Devils don't really have a player that is going to help his game succeed. Tri alluded to it in the Elias thread last week. For him to be successful and worth 16-18 minutes, he needs to play with Elias or Gomez. Those are the only guys that can help him.

12 minutes or 18 minutes with Henrique at center, and he's going to struggle. So TOI isn't the issue for me but who he is playing with, 

Ryder has played 9 games of 16+ mins this season and has 4 pts (2 g 2 A) in those games. In the other 24 games he's played, he has 10 pts (2 G 12 A). So in games in which he plays 16+ mins he as a .44 PPG average and in games in which he plays less than 16 mins he has a .42 average. I don't think he has much of an argument, unless he is trying to say that he needs to play 16+ mins for a few games in row before he can get into a groove. Keep in mind his best game was game 1, where he had 3 points (1 G 2A) in 13:18.

Ryder will get killed, and I get it. He has been sh!t, but the Devils don't really have a player that is going to help his game succeed. Tri alluded to it in the Elias thread last week. For him to be successful and worth 16-18 minutes, he needs to play with Elias or Gomez. Those are the only guys that can help him.

12 minutes or 18 minutes with Henrique at center, and he's going to struggle. So TOI isn't the issue for me but who he is playing with,

Yeah. I mean I would have thought he would see more time with Gomez than he has but I think the penalties against TB and the fact that he shanked a bunch of nice looks given to him by Gomez when they were together convinced Deboer another benching was needed. I mean it's pretty stark when we are as starved for offense and forwards who are healthy and you get benched.

He's a one trick pony who needs lots of shot opportunities and doesn't really do much else or create on his own. He's a luxury and depth bonus forward on a good team like he was with the Bruins. Unfortunately he's a poor skater and that downside is one that's only being exacerbated as he moves further along the wrong side of 30.

Also It appears Havlat and Elias are being tested for the mumps.

Ryder has played 9 games of 16+ mins this season and has 4 pts (2 g 2 A) in those games. In the other 24 games he's played, he has 10 pts (2 G 12 A). So in games in which he plays 16+ mins he as a .44 PPG average and in games in which he plays less than 16 mins he has a .42 average. I don't think he has much of an argument, unless he is trying to say that he needs to play 16+ mins for a few games in row before he can get into a groove. Keep in mind his best game was game 1, where he had 3 points (1 G 2A) in 13:18.

Problem is you can't play a guy who is as one dimensional as Ryder as much as he wants.

Ryder will not play in the NHL after this season.  Mark my words.  No one wants him.

Someone will pay him.  KHL is in shambles and teams will still look to his 30-goal seasons and think that a change of scenery will get him going again.  I really hope someone takes a gamble at him and trade for him at the deadline so we get at least something back.  I would take a 7th rounder at this point.

Someone will pay him. KHL is in shambles and teams will still look to his 30-goal seasons and think that a change of scenery will get him going again. I really hope someone takes a gamble at him and trade for him at the deadline so we get at least something back. I would take a 7th rounder at this point.

Honestly he's probably only on track for a camp invite at this point. I would be surprised if this continues with him and he's not out of here in a few weeks. When players on the Devils get vocal like this it's usually only a matter of time before they get shipped out.

Honestly he's probably only on track for a camp invite at this point. I would be surprised if this continues with him and he's not out of here in a few weeks. When players on the Devils get vocal like this it's usually only a matter of time before they get shipped out.

He looks like a bad-team player now, but there's bad teams that need (stopgap) players to fill out their rosters.  I'm guessing someone will give him a one-year "show me" low-risk kind of deal, where he has a chance to be a bargain kind of player, and if he exceeds expectations for a non-contending team, maybe he gets traded to a contender for a mid-round pick (maybe a team that has lost someone to injury), or if that team is playing well, they can just keep him. 

But yeah, it's over for him here.  Guy needs to look in the mirror and realize he deserves a good chunk of the blame for doing damned near nothing since coming to the Devils.  Fully expect him to be gone by the deadline. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ryder needs to blame the 5 or so posts he has hit too.

Come to think of it, if DeBo had played him 5 minutes more a game, he'd probably have hit 2 or 3 more posts by now and missed the net another six or seven times. Petey could be saving him the misery.

Edited by Neb00rs

I like the logic of "well 12 mins only gets you one or two scoring chances but at 16 mins, then you're up to 5!"

I'm too lazy to look but I do think he's been used less often on the power play - assuming those are PP minutes it's not that far wrong.

Ryder's problem is that the chances he has gotten he hasn't buried and the fact that he's not a guy who forces turnovers but he takes lots of penalties.  I can accept Jagr's penalties because he will also steal pucks and create plays.  Ryder doesn't do either - one thing I won't miss about all the vets are all the penalties they took.

I'm too lazy to look but I do think he's been used less often on the power play - assuming those are PP minutes it's not that far wrong.

Ryder's problem is that the chances he has gotten he hasn't buried and the fact that he's not a guy who forces turnovers but he takes lots of penalties. I can accept Jagr's penalties because he will also steal pucks and create plays. Ryder doesn't do either - one thing I won't miss about all the vets are all the penalties they took.

His PP time has definitely decreased. It was obvious they were using Bernier a couple times on the PP in his place favoring a screen oriented approach rather than efforting to set up Ryder for a shot at the hashes.

The Devils played reasonably well against TB except for Ryder. I mean he was just downright awful in the game start to finish. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

How is he a bad team player when he can't even put up numbers ON a bad team?

I meant a good team likely isn't going to sign him off what he's done with the Devils. A team in transition that might be good in a couple of years might sign him to bridge that gap. If he's having a year where the breaks are going his way (they sure don't seem to be here), maybe he becomes a rental for a playoff team. It would be nice if that happened this season, but it seems like he just needs to get out of here at this point.

He looks like a bad-team player now, but there's bad teams that need (stopgap) players to fill out their rosters.  I'm guessing someone will give him a one-year "show me" low-risk kind of deal, where he has a chance to be a bargain kind of player, and if he exceeds expectations for a non-contending team, maybe he gets traded to a contender for a mid-round pick (maybe a team that has lost someone to injury), or if that team is playing well, they can just keep him. 

But yeah, it's over for him here.  Guy needs to look in the mirror and realize he deserves a good chunk of the blame for doing damned near nothing since coming to the Devils.  Fully expect him to be gone by the deadline. 

But CR, are we not exactly that "bad" team?  I mean, even when we signed Ryder, he didn't exactly have a huge demand for his services.  I think Montreal had zero interest in keeping him (Bergevin even came out and said that) and Boston was only offering 1 year we found out.  We simply bumped up the $ and gave him the 2nd year guaranteed.

I think he's going to have to accept a training camp invite or hope a near cap-ish team has a hole at wing they need to plug for a few months next year before they can trade for somebody.  It wouldn't stun me if he's out of the league entirely in 2016 if not sooner.  

But CR, are we not exactly that "bad" team?  I mean, even when we signed Ryder, he didn't exactly have a huge demand for his services.  I think Montreal had zero interest in keeping him (Bergevin even came out and said that) and Boston was only offering 1 year we found out.  We simply bumped up the $ and gave him the 2nd year guaranteed.

I think he's going to have to accept a training camp invite or hope a near cap-ish team has a hole at wing they need to plug for a few months next year before they can trade for somebody.  It wouldn't stun me if he's out of the league entirely in 2016 if not sooner.  

No, because we don't have a center that's going to feed him pucks. 

I meant a good team likely isn't going to sign him off what he's done with the Devils. A team in transition that might be good in a couple of years might sign him to bridge that gap. If he's having a year where the breaks are going his way (they sure don't seem to be here), maybe he becomes a rental for a playoff team. It would be nice if that happened this season, but it seems like he just needs to get out of here at this point.

It's going to really be interesting to see how he does when he gets traded to a contender and is scratched every other night.

I'm not completely counting him out for this year. Maybe he goes on a another hot streak and scores 7-8 more goals over the course of a few weeks but it seems unlikely.

I think he lost his buddy Clowe and just isn't good enough to crack those top two lines. Unless he's playing with our better players, he's not good enough to create on his own.

It's too bad. I've always liked Ryder and felt for him because of the situation with his brother.

Hopefully Boston or Dallas will remember the good years he had and he'll get another chance next year.