Ryder Blames His Ice Time for Scoring Drought

Neb00rs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The non-playmaking center has been a problem for Ryder during his NJ tenure. The problem is that Zajac has largely been married to Jagr and he didn't do much with Elias. It's possible that he just isn't that good. It's not like he hasn't gotten his chances, he just seems to miss the net or shoot it high/wide. When he doesn't score, he's a negative player because he sucks at D, is slow and takes penalties

I feel kind of bad for Ryder. I think he's the kind of guy you know what you're getting when you sign him. Then he plays like he always has and he gets sh!t on by the coach, fans, and Deb Placey during interviews in between periods. Why sign him at all then? Same with Kovy. We knew exactly who he was and how he got so many points with the Thrashers, but then he comes here and has to change his game to suit the coaches/Lou's needs.

I feel kind of bad for Ryder. I think he's the kind of guy you know what you're getting when you sign him. Then he plays like he always has and he gets sh!t on by the coach, fans, and Deb Placey during interviews in between periods. Why sign him at all then? Same with Kovy. We knew exactly who he was and how he got so many points with the Thrashers, but then he comes here and has to change his game to suit the coaches/Lou's needs.

You can live with his deficiencies if he is scoring 25-30 goals. The problem is that he had 18 last year (which included like a third of the season without a goal) and he's on pace for 10 this year. He's had terrible shooting luck, but he is useless without production

Didn't Brunner complain about his ice time too? Sounds like a familiar tune from guys that aren't producing.

..yup, and the chirping will only get louder the more we continue to lose.

I'm leery in Lou allowing the trend to be continuously: the players. (sending down Boucher, unwillingness to play Larsson, cutting Brunner, trading Ryder, etc) It becomes undesirable, and quite frankly.. witless in the sense of "trying to turn the tides" to save the season.

Something's gotta give here, and (after tonight) with only 1 game played over a 5 day span.. I almost think tonight may be D-day for DeBoer. If we can't beat the worst team in the league, at home, we may get the announcement that DeBoer was relieved of his duties as early as tomorrow morning.

You can live with his deficiencies if he is scoring 25-30 goals. The problem is that he had 18 last year (which included like a third of the season without a goal) and he's on pace for 10 this year. He's had terrible shooting luck, but he is useless without production

I think his lack of production in NJ has a little to do with him being asked to play a different style of game than he had been playing for previous teams. Teams that have a more open style as opposed to out strict system style. He is who he is. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, etc. etc. etc. I think he's just getting older too.

But I think we can get a 3rd for him from a contender. He still has skills.

Meh Ryder is a loser.  Complete disappointment from the minute he signed his contract here.

Can't wait until he's gone.  He looks lazy, and just doesn't seem to care out there.

That being said - it's becoming more and more apparent that PDB's system doesn't cater to the traditional goal scorer.

I think his lack of production in NJ has a little to do with him being asked to play a different style of game than he had been playing for previous teams. Teams that have a more open style as opposed to out strict system style. He is who he is. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, etc. etc. etc. I think he's just getting older too.

But I think we can get a 3rd for him from a contender. He still has skills.

His skills which were limited to begin with are in decline.  His skating is still subpar, speed is diminished.  He takes a lot of bad penalties.

Fans have bias to on one hand, be sick of said player, but then overreach and think they will get good value in return for said player.  Put it this way, if the situation was reversed where you were a fan/GM of another team and you saw Ryder on a team like ours, would you give up a 3rd for him?  I sure as heck wouldn't.  The scouts would probably scathe him in the report and the eye test would show all it needed to, to back that up.

Ryder was excellent in avoiding penalties last year. It's certainly a bad sign that in 33 games this year, Ryder already has 6 more PIM than in all 82 games last year. That can either be a sign of frustration, or more likely, quickly diminishing skill. 

I'd put it on the latter.  The other culprits who have been taking a lot of penalties lately are Jagr and Zidlicky, although Zidlicky has tailed off a bit thankfully in that dept. lately.

Hard to know if Ryder is done or if this is just another cold stretch. 

In 07-08, in his 4th season and coming off back-to-back 30 goal seasons. he puts up 14 goals and 17 assists in 70 games. That's 0.44 PPG and 1.91 S/G. This year he is at 0.42 PPG and 2.06 S/G

Go through his entire career, and there are highs and lows with almost every team he was on. Boston got a great year and two bad ones. Dallas got a career year, and NJ has seen some bad luck with him over the last few seasons.

I don't know if much has changed with Ryder other than some bad penalties. Most GMs I bet would be willing to take a gamble.

Hard to know if Ryder is done or if this is just another cold stretch. 

In 07-08, in his 4th season and coming off back-to-back 30 goal seasons. he puts up 14 goals and 17 assists in 70 games. That's 0.44 PPG and 1.91 S/G. This year he is at 0.42 PPG and 2.06 S/G

Go through his entire career, and there are highs and lows with almost every team he was on. Boston got a great year and two bad ones. Dallas got a career year, and NJ has seen some bad luck with him over the last few seasons.

I don't know if much has changed with Ryder other than some bad penalties. Most GMs I bet would be willing to take a gamble.

He's been passed around like a hot potato the last few years.  So there are GMs who might gamble, but you're not getting much in return.