Countdown to the Playoffs

BostonNala370

Can't score goals if they don't put many more shots on goal. Lou has put a terrible team together but won't admit it. I don't see any reason for him to be on the bench. Everyone besides Lou knows this is a terrible team he put together.

We need 98 points, we have 51. In 29 games we need to get 47 points. There are 58 available.

Lou is probably looking for some player or players to bring in for the push.

Lou is probably looking for some player or players to bring in for the push.

You shouldn't perpetuate this nonsense. I mean, it's not like Lou reads this forum but so help me God, 'bringing in [someone] for the push' is the worst thing he could possibly do.

Edited by Devilsfan118

You shouldn't perpetuate this nonsense. I mean, it's not like Lou reads this forum but so help me God, 'bringing in [someone] for the push' is the worst thing he could possibly do.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I really don't think Lou is that oblivious.  The only thing that's mildly scary:  the Devils' schedule before the deadline.

10 games, 7 at home, 3 on the road.  Five of those teams are currently below the Devils in the standings. 

Devils are 6-0-2 in their last 8 at home; granted, a lot of what the Devils have done lately has been due to absurd puck-luck, so I'm not sure how much stock should be put into that...but if the Devil somehow go, say, 6-3-1 in their next 10, which would make them 14-6-3 in their last 23...and would put them over NHL .500...would Lou actually think that the Devils could make some noise in the playoffs?  I'm getting ahead of myself for sure...hell, all it would take would be a loss to Edmonton to likely quell any and all postseason talk...but I can't rule out 100% that Lou might approach the deadline differently if the team is "hot" going into the deadline.  I hope not.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Even if the Devils are hot that doesn't mean they'll be any closer to the playoffs.  As it is the 8-3-2 stretch has only got them to within twelve points out.  People don't realize how good the top eight are playing, it'll take like 100 points to make the playoffs unless the Rangers start torpedoing without Lundqvist (and right now they're 14 points up with two games in hand).

The numbers posted above say it all, we'd need to go basically 23-5-1 just to get TO a playoff pace.  And that's going 23-5-1 on top of 8-3-2, that's just too long to sustain that kind of pace as we found out in 2011.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Why are people worried or wishing that we don't go on a run here before the deadline because it'll change the way Lou thinks or approaches trade talks?  WE HAVE NOTHING TO TRADE.  C'mon people, what do you really think someone is going to give us for an over the hill Zubrus, life-support Ryder, bad contract Zajac, disappointing Henrique, or aging Zidlicky?  Our best player is a newly acquired Cammaleri who isn't going to be moved, and mummified Jagr.  The only other bright spots worth a damn are both goaltenders right now, neither of whom are going to be moved as well.  So, really, I am hoping we do on a run before the deadline, because it will mean absolutely ZERO in terms of impacting Lou's decisions.  No one is going to want any part of our team, unfortunately.  So our best bet in all honesty, as much as we may hate to admit it, is to give 100% effort and push for...*gulp*...the playoffs.

Why are people worried or wishing that we don't go on a run here before the deadline because it'll change the way Lou thinks or approaches trade talks?  WE HAVE NOTHING TO TRADE.  C'mon people, what do you really think someone is going to give us for an over the hill Zubrus, life-support Ryder, bad contract Zajac, disappointing Henrique, or aging Zidlicky?  Our best player is a newly acquired Cammaleri who isn't going to be moved, and mummified Jagr.  The only other bright spots worth a damn are both goaltenders right now, neither of whom are going to be moved as well.  So, really, I am hoping we do on a run before the deadline, because it will mean absolutely ZERO in terms of impacting Lou's decisions.  No one is going to want any part of our team, unfortunately.  So our best bet in all honesty, as much as we may hate to admit it, is to give 100% effort and push for...*gulp*...the playoffs.

ever considered thinking about where we'd be drafting? Cause that's kind of a big deal and the one and only positive thing that could happen to this team. The one and only. 

They're not going to make the playoffs.  The only reason that possibly can even be discussed is because they just had an 8-2-2 stretch where a hell of a lot went their way.  Montreal showed what can happen when things start evening out.    

It's not about getting awesome returns, it's about getting something, period.  Might as well.  There's guys on the team like Jagr and Zids that are perfect rentals.  Ryder and Havlat are "what the hell"-types that might get you a late-round pick...neither of them will be here next year, so why not?

I do agree with you in that there's not much other teams are going to want.  Devils are likely stuck with guys like Zubrus who are signed beyond this season.  There won't be a full housecleaning until the offseason...I'm guessing three Devils max might be moved at the deadline, but it will probably be two or less.

They're not going to make the playoffs.  The only reason that possibly can even be discussed is because they just had an 8-2-2 stretch where a hell of a lot went their way.  Montreal showed what can happen when things start evening out.    

It's not about getting awesome returns, it's about getting something, period.  Might as well.  There's guys on the team like Jagr and Zids that are perfect rentals.  Ryder and Havlat are "what the hell"-types that might get you a late-round pick...neither of them will be here next year, so why not?

I do agree with you in that there's not much other teams are going to want.  Devils are likely stuck with guys like Zubrus who are signed beyond this season.  There won't be a full housecleaning until the offseason...I'm guessing three Devils max might be moved at the deadline, but it will probably be two or less.

No moves! Playoffs or bust with this group!

When does training camp open for next season...?

Edited by jagknife

Despite these 2 losses, the Devils are FAR from dead.  21-5-2 or 22-5-0 gives us a 63.8% chance.  Sure it's highly unlikely, but all the teams currently sitting in playoff spots have a long way to go before they can call themselves playoff teams.

:troll1:

If pretty much running the table only gives them a 60% chance of making the show, they're as good as dead.  Stop it.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Despite these 2 losses, the Devils are FAR from dead.  21-5-2 or 22-5-0 gives us a 63.8% chance.  Sure it's highly unlikely, but all the teams currently sitting in playoff spots have a long way to go before they can call themselves playoff teams.

How is 22-5-0 "far from dead"??  You did this for most of last season, and it still makes no sense. They have a 0.4% chance at the moment. 

So, even if they go against EVERY SINGLE TREND we've seen for the last 3 seasons, they STILL barely have a 50/50. Just let it die. 

Don't start this douchery again. 

this team is not making the playoffs, this team is not any better since deboer left, larsson is not playing like the number 4 pick in the draft, Kinkaid is not a number one goalie yet.

KK isn't being asked to be a #1 goalie.  Considering that no one knew what to expect, he's been a pretty good backup.  A lot better than Clemmer would've been.

Why must people get on some poster's back about their opinion.  Take some of your own advice.  Don't read the thread.

there are opinions, and then there is pure nonsense, irrational homerism and delusional tendencies. when you cross the line this far be prepared

KK isn't being asked to be a #1 goalie.  Considering that no one knew what to expect, he's been a pretty good backup.  A lot better than Clemmer would've been.

I was bringing up the "lets trade cory" because KK is the second coming nonsense

there are opinions, and then there is pure nonsense, irrational homerism and delusional tendencies. when you cross the line this far be prepared

Then ignore the poster.  These personal jabs aren't necessary.   Friendly teasing is one thing and nasty insults are another. :)