Countdown to the Playoffs

BostonNala370

The Devils would have to win like 30 of the remaining 41.  It's been done before.

30-10-1 in 2009-2010 in 1st half.

28-10-3 in 2010-2011 in 2nd half.

Let me guess:  you're saying that it's been done before, but if anyone says it's crazy to suggest that this 2014-15 team is capable of doing the same, well, you're not saying that this PARTICULAR team is going to do it, just that it's been done before by other Devils teams, but since those other teams have done it, well, then maybe this team will do it too. 

I'd be stunned if this team has anywhere near a 60-point 2nd half.  I'd say 45 or so is about as optimistic as anyone should get...that's a 10-point jump over their 35-point first half.  Some will say "Well, what if Cory gets hot?"  Problem is, for all of the bitching that goes on about Cory around here, he's put up a .921 save% since 10/24.  He was at .922 for November and .924 for December.  For most of the season, he's really stopped pucks at a very Cory-like rate overall.  Maybe he goes on a .930-ish tear over a 10+ game stretch, but even if he does that, it's not like that would represent some quantum-leap improvement over what he's given to date.  He'd have to go on one of those brick-wall, .950ish kind of runs.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Again, im just asking straight to up to anyone here who would like us to make the playoffs this year somehow...

Whats the point. What could we possibly gain from a first round exit? Or do you really believe this team could actually win in the playoffs?

Again, im just asking straight to up to anyone here who would like us to make the playoffs this year somehow...

Whats the point. What could we possibly gain from a first round exit? Or do you really believe this team could actually win in the playoffs?

Any team that's in the playoffs has a realistic shot a winning the cup. LA did so as a seventh or eight seed.

Now, you might say that the Devils are not as good as that Kings team. But, if the Devils from where they are now go on enough of a run to make the playoffs, there'd obviously be something very good about the team that we're either not seeing right now or finally appeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any team that's in the playoffs has a realistic shot a winning the cup. LA did so as a seventh or eight seed.

Now, you might say that the Devils are not as good as that Kings team. But, if the Devils from where they are now go on enough of a run to make the playoffs, there'd obviously be something very good about the team that we're either not seeing right now or finally appeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude..... there's no way you really believe that. I know that's the "thing to say" to sound like a "real fan" but come on. We struggle winning 2 games in a row.

And about the Kings... they we're clearly underachieving with the roster they had. And finally got on a roll at the right time. We're getting the results we should be getting with this roster. 

I mean, not bashing you but your attitude towards that situation is basically the attitude Lou had that killed this team. Never looked for the future, always gambled that they had a chance and went all out tin win-now mode, always running our assets to the ground. And look at us now.

This team NEED to rebuilt a lot more than go all out for an unrealistic chance to win a cup.

i mean... "come on" can't be overstated after what you just said. 

Dude..... there's no way you really believe that. I know that's the "thing to say" to sound like a "real fan" but come on. We struggle winning 2 games in a row.

And about the Kings... they we're clearly underachieving with the roster they had. And finally got on a roll at the right time. We're getting the results we should be getting with this roster. 

I mean, not bashing you but your attitude towards that situation is basically the attitude Lou had that killed this team. Never looked for the future, always gambled that they had a chance and went all out tin win-now mode, always running our assets to the ground. And look at us now.

This team NEED to rebuilt a lot more than go all out for an unrealistic chance to win a cup.

I don't think the Devils are even sniffing the playoffs at this point.  All I'm saying is that if the team somehow managed to pull it off at this stage of the season (which was the premise I was responding to) then there's something good about the team that we're not seeing right now.

As I said though, I think the season is a lost cause, and the goal should be to get as good a draft pick this year as possible without perhaps making things too obvious.  If someone could come up with some kind of deadline that tells you when even a miraculous turnaround isn't possible, that's when I would pull the trigger on trading Jagr and Zidlicky.   (And believe it or not, I could actually see Jagr coming back to the Devils next year even if he's traded). 

I don't think the Devils are even sniffing the playoffs at this point.  All I'm saying is that if the team somehow managed to pull it off at this stage of the season (which was the premise I was responding to) then there's something good about the team that we're not seeing right now.

As I said though, I think the season is a lost cause, and the goal should be to get as good a draft pick this year as possible without perhaps making things too obvious.  If someone could come up with some kind of deadline that tells you when even a miraculous turnaround isn't possible, that's when I would pull the trigger on trading Jagr and Zidlicky.   (And believe it or not, I could actually see Jagr coming back to the Devils next year even if he's traded). 

That'd be perfect really.

But ANYTHING we can trade that we might lose or not re-sign has to go. 

To me the accumulation of bad drafting + losing assets for nothing on a regular basis is what brought this team down. We have nothing on the team and nothing coming our way. We absolutely need to stock on picks hoping to pick a few gems

That'd be perfect really.

But ANYTHING we can trade that we might lose or not re-sign has to go.

To me the accumulation of bad drafting + losing assets for nothing on a regular basis is what brought this team down. We have nothing on the team and nothing coming our way. We absolutely need to stock on picks hoping to pick a few gems

You always say we have nothing. Yes we have zilch in the offensive department but you never acknowledge the strong goaltending and defensive depth we have. If things were reverse I'd suspect you'd be complaining about having zero dmen in the system and lousy goaltending. You have to acknowledge their strengths if you will point out their only weakness. Edited by Zubie#8

You always say we have nothing. Yes we have zilch in the offensive department but you never acknowledge the strong goaltending and defensive depth we have. If things were reverse I'd suspect you'd be complaining about having zero dmen in the system and lousy goaltending. You have to acknowledge their strengths if you will point out their only weakneas.

Well yes cause were incredibly not well balanced. Like i was saying 2 days ago, we're set on the D yet Lou went out of his way to draft another defensive Dman... and passed on potential good scorers. Why not take a damn gamble on something we desperately need? Why draft a kind of player that you can get a good vet for a decent price to do that job? 

It's really like Lou and Conte are clueless how to draft good forwards anymore. We could even say Zach was a fluke cause he was drafted in 2003... you could have pointed randomly to a wheel with the players names that year and get a good player.

Well yes cause were incredibly not well balanced. Like i was saying 2 days ago, we're set on the D yet Lou went out of his way to draft another defensive Dman... and passed on potential good scorers. Why not take a damn gamble on something we desperately need? Why draft a kind of player that you can get a good vet for a decent price to do that job?

It's really like Lou and Conte are clueless how to draft good forwards anymore. We could even say Zach was a fluke cause he was drafted in 2003... you could have pointed randomly to a wheel with the players names that year and get a good player.

Now even Zach was pure luck? They traded up just to get him. You're just getting ridiculous now.

If you have a close to sure thing on defense or a maybe scorer, you take the best player. The reason the Devils draft well rounded players is because if a scorer doesn't work out, he's useless. Tedenby is useless because he never developed. Josefson is still useful because he can at least be trusted as a defensive forward who can PK.

Not to mention picking up Jeff Carter was huge for them and really propelled them to that next level. That was a great acquisition for them and they really didn't give up much. Was just a 1st+Jack Johnson, which is to say they gave up a first and added by subtraction by dumping Johnson on another team.

Now even Zach was pure luck? They traded up just to get him. You're just getting ridiculous now.

If you have a close to sure thing on defense or a maybe scorer, you take the best player. The reason the Devils draft well rounded players is because if a scorer doesn't work out, he's useless. Tedenby is useless because he never developed. Josefson is still useful because he can at least be trusted as a defensive forward who can PK.

Im not saying it was luck my post was obviously an exageration but it was still in the best draft of the decade wher a bunch of guys picked after him turned out to be awesome players. cmon now

We need 56 points out of 39 games

That means the Devils would have to win about 72% of the rest of the games going forward.

Yeah, like that's happening with this group of players.

Im not saying it was luck my post was obviously an exageration but it was still in the best draft of the decade wher a bunch of guys picked after him turned out to be awesome players. cmon now

Lou could have picked Jessiman as well who was picked before Parise, but didn't.  Therefore while that first round was incredible, it wasn't a can't miss.

I can imagine what you would be posting now if the Devils indeed picked Jessiman.

That means the Devils would have to win about 72% of the rest of the games going forward.

Yeah, like that's happening with this group of players.

Lou could have picked Jessiman as well who was picked before Parise, but didn't.  Therefore while that first round was incredible, it wasn't a can't miss.

I can imagine what you would be posting now if the Devils indeed picked Jessiman.

If the Devils had picked Jessiman I do believe he would be justified in whatever vitriol he was posting.

If the Devils had picked Jessiman I do believe he would be justified in whatever vitriol he was posting.

Of course, but it would be even more intense.

Fact is there was a chance that Lou could have screwed up that pick but didn't.  It was not a guaranteed thing.  Like others have posted Lou even traded up to grab Parise.

Taking the BPA is always the right move in my eyes. 

absolutely correct, if the scouts and lou feel that a D man has the better chance of being special, you grab him. drafts are more about value and assets.  when need and BPA merge thats sweet... the more we lose the sweeter this draft looks 

absolutely correct, if the scouts and lou feel that a D man has the better chance of being special, you grab him. drafts are more about value and assets.  when need and BPA merge thats sweet... the more we lose the sweeter this draft looks 

Yes but once you're in the 2nd round the demarcation between players is way closer if there's any. And if youre debating at all between 2 players go for your needs.

Yes but once you're in the 2nd round the demarcation between players is way closer if there's any. And if youre debating at all between 2 players go for your needs.

If it's a toss up between two players, yeah, you go for need, but clearly the scouts saw Santini as being better than the forwards available in a significant enough way that drafting him was the better choice. He looks like he could be a top 4, shutdown guy. If he reaches his potential, he'll be better value than most players drafted in the 2nd round and even if we don't have a spot for him if that happens, it gives us an asset to use in a trade.

Edited by ATLL765