Breaking: Pete Deboer Fired

devilsrule33

They are 4 points up on a playoff spot this year and they are the Leafs.  They're not even favorites to make the playoffs at this point.  

I also think they've had a very reasonable/manageable schedule.  I don't believe they've had what one can call their "tough" stretch yet.

Seeing a surprising amount of sober and rational comments on Twitter/Facebook in the wake of this firing. I think people wanted him fired for so long because they wanted ANYTHING, any sort of change to be made. And now that it's here, people are looking at the wreckage and realizing our problems aren't 100% a "DeBoer problem". Haven't seen more than a handful of people "excited" about this firing, a lot of people mentioning that Lou should be next; which I agree with.

It was never that Pete was the entire problem. He was a PART of the problem and the team stopped responding to him so honestly for those two reasons it was past time for a change.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yikes, feel bad for the guy. Can't help but think he definitely sticks around in the NHL though. Most GMs must look at our roster and wonder how he could turn lemons into lemonade for so long (until now).

He just kept squeezing' them.....

too many late game collapses,

the late game collapses might very well be the fact that this team is too old, and does not have the legs to compete inthe 3rd period. Not so suure the LL should be the 1 to rebuild..

2004 is a long time ago and he has yet to show that he can build a team in the NEW NHL, which is no longer new...

He just kept squeezing' them.....

More like he'd squeeze for 40 minutes and then just take the final 20 off.

It's no secret I was completely against DeBoer for the better part of a year so I'm happy with this move. But as many others have said, he is not the only problem, just a cog in machine.

Lou should be on a very warm seat as our "dynasty" years are far in the rear view and ther's only so long we can cling to a fluke 2012. Yes, Parise going home to mommy and Kovy being a dirty piece of sh!t didon't help matters, but the game plan to replace/restock/rebuild is almost non-existent aside from having a young defense and a #1 goalie

the late game collapses might very well be the fact that this team is too old, and does not have the legs to compete inthe 3rd period. Not so suure the LL should be the 1 to rebuild..

2004 is a long time ago and he has yet to show that he can build a team in the NEW NHL, which is no longer new...

What we have here is a failure to adapt. Agreed 100%

More like he'd squeeze for 40 minutes and then just take the final 20 off.

It's no secret I was completely against DeBoer for the better part of a year so I'm happy with this move. But as many others have said, he is not the only problem, just a cog in machine.

Lou should be on a very warm seat as our "dynasty" years are far in the rear view and ther's only so long we can cling to a fluke 2012. Yes, Parise going home to mommy and Kovy being a dirty piece of sh!t didon't help matters, but the game plan to replace/restock/rebuild is almost non-existent aside from having a young defense and a #1 goalie

2012 wasn't a fluke. I hate that sh!t. It was a really good team. And don't throw away Parise and Kovalchuk as "didn't help matters." We lost our Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Sedins, Ovie/Backstrom and so on.....No team in our position would've survived. 

The game plan to replace was patchwork, as was the only option.  To restock/rebuild, Lou would've made a conscious effort to tank and not try to get players in here that could make a difference but tank on purpose to speed things along..Then many would complain HE DID NOTHING?!?!?!!?!

@BradGFeldman: Per source Adam Oates name being discussed as possible Devils HC.

Really going all out for McDavid if true. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't make sense either. You can't go all out for McDavid, you could conceivably go all out for Eichel - but even so there's a lottery. if they wanted to go "all in" for McD, whatever that means - wouldn't you keep Pete on all year?

Edited by HellOnICE

Good riddance. Lou is gonna be next if we keep missing the playoffs.

Watch out, you can't go against Lou, it's not his fault apparently

2012 wasn't a fluke. I hate that sh!t. It was a really good team. And don't throw away Parise and Kovalchuk as "didn't help matters." We lost our Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Sedins, Ovie/Backstrom and so on.....No team in our position would've survived. 

The game plan to replace was patchwork, as was the only option.  To restock/rebuild, Lou would've made a conscious effort to tank and not try to get players in here that could make a difference but tank on purpose to speed things along..Then many would complain HE DID NOTHING?!?!?!!?!

This doesn't make sense either. You can't go all out for McDavid, you could conceivably go all out for Eichel - but even so there's a lottery. if they wanted to go "all in" for McD, whatever that means - wouldn't you keep Pete on all year?

His drive to go for the plus-30 crowd at a discount over younger players did not help the rebuild. Patch works work when there's a solid foundation. As you stated, the heart of this team was ripped out when 9/17 left but the steps taken we brutal

I don't think Lou is toast just yet. But If they miss next year when it's clearly not a rebuilding year, he'll be gone.

Good to see that most media is rightly putting the devils mess on Lou just as much as anyone.

I know they're ours, buts it's been a poorly run franchise for 5 years going in the wrong direction.