Breaking: Pete Deboer Fired

devilsrule33

Good. Love Lou but I've been waiting for this team to get a new identity for years. I feel like I've watched the same game for 25 years.

Even if the team evolved with the game, but it's obvious Lou hasn't quite gotten the pulse of, imo. We've had glimmers of a new identity or changing mentality but then they vanish. It's extremely frustrating.

2012 wasn't a fluke. I hate that sh!t. It was a really good team. And don't throw away Parise and Kovalchuk as "didn't help matters." We lost our Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Sedins, Ovie/Backstrom and so on.....No team in our position would've survived.

No other GM would let his 2 top players walk and go to free agency either. all those teams managed to keep those guys, weird

Edited by SterioDesign

Pete was one of the least of our issues. The team will probably get marginally better now and will have a surge with the shakeup, but really a coaching change will not change the fact that our team is old, slow and lacks a lot of top talent.

Agreed - and just enough to knock us out of contention for McDavid/Eichel.

No other GM would let his 2 top players walk and go to free agency either.

Kovy retired. He didn't leave via free agency.

Bad move.  As much as PDB gave me the sh!ts on a constant basis, I would rather have seen the season play out the way it was and then have a total house cleaning at the end of the year.  

We still have the following problems -

Salvador / Ryder / Zubrus / Clowe / Elias / Jagr / Zidlicky Havlat / Gomez - all an average age of around 34 years old.

The only salvageable forwards are:  Henrique / Josefsson / Zajac / Cammaleri

We are fVcked for a long time boys...just sit back and watch with interest...

This doesn't make sense either. You can't go all out for McDavid, you could conceivably go all out for Eichel - but even so there's a lottery. if they wanted to go "all in" for McD, whatever that means - wouldn't you keep Pete on all year?

You can argue that switching DeBoer to Oates will make things worse (making things better for us in the McDavid race), WHILE getting the heat off Lou/ownership in such a way where they can say "We made a change and it didn't work out."

Getting rid of DeBoer will shut the fanbase up for a month or two and there's no way Oates will turn this team around, I can only see him doing worse, which is maybe what they're gunning for at this point.

Edited by DJ Eco

Why not charbaneau?

I prefer red wine myself.

Bad move. As much as PDB gave me the sh!ts on a constant basis, I would rather have seen the season play out the way it was and then have a total house cleaning at the end of the year.

We still have the following problems -

Salvador / Ryder / Zubrus / Clowe / Elias / Jagr / Zidlicky Havlat / Gomez - all an average age of around 34 years old.

The only salvageable forwards are: Henrique / Josefsson / Zajac / Cammaleri

We are fVcked for a long time boys...just sit back and watch with interest...

I don't know how salvageable Josefson is at the moment. Edited by coldply123

Lou wouldn't fire himself so DeBoer had to go. The timing sucks as it did with McLean.

Attendance would have dropped after the first of the year if this change wasn't made.

It still will drop. This is just the obvious move for now to buy some time.

I said let them go to free agency... Did kovy went to free agency yes or no? Right.

Just stop...please.  Kovy 'went to free agency' when we traded for him as a rental to win a Stanley Cup.  What were they going to do, sign him when he got off the plane from Atlanta?  They had to use the 30 games plus playoffs as a trial period to see if he was going to work out enough for them to give big money to (and for him to want to stay here).  That - and him bolting on a signed contract to go to Russia - are both VASTLY different than Parise leaving.  And even he was more or less a rental to try to win a Cup too, which nearly worked.

Besides this is the coaching thread, don't hijack it with your broken record agenda.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Actually a little bit surprised, only because Lou waited so long to pull the trigger...the fact that PDB made it this far had me thinking maybe Lou didn't believe PDB was primarily to blame.

At any rate, the current roster is bad...Scotty Bowman would have a hell of time trying to get much out of this year's team. 

Not a rebuilding year???!!! these next two years better be

Lou isn't at the age and the position based on recent history to be given the reigns of engineering the turnaround.

I don't agree with Sundstrom at all. This is now a rebuild and it's clear as day. We can't keep denying what this team is and playing the wait and see game. Three years now of subpar results. Four playoff misses in five years.

Edited by coldply123

Actually a little bit surprised, only because Lou waited so long to pull the trigger...the fact that PDB made it this far had me thinking maybe Lou didn't believe PDB was primarily to blame.

At any rate, the current roster is bad...Scotty Bowman would have a hell of time trying to get much out of this year's team. 

It's not really about blame...the team just stopped responding to him, public protestations aside.  When you get whipped by BAD teams, that's a sign that you need a defibrulator.