Breaking: Pete Deboer Fired

devilsrule33

what don't you like about him?

this is a guy who, without unreal goaltending, couldn't do sh!t with a bad roster. the sens leaked shots like nobody's business. i also don't want someone who doesn't look like a good fit long term and i don't think maclean is that. if they go for disco dan, fine. i don't love that either, but i can be convinced that's got a 3 year chance.

If Maclean is hired, he won't be an interim coach. If you hated the things Pete Deboer did, you will hate the Paul Maclean that was the coach of Ottawa.

You know how you hate that Bryce Salvador plays? Well, the Senators have a Bryce Salvador of their own in Chris Phillips. Except he played top pairing minutes with Erik Karlsson, played 22+ minutes a night and regularly saw PP time.

Last year in must win games, Chris Neil and Zach Smith saw the most minutes in the 3rd period, and Neil was used as an extra attacker.

Maclean was completely unable to pay his top 6 skilled forwards on the top 6 instead mixing in veterans like Legwand and Michalek. The Senators struggling prospect was (Mika Zibanejad), and he was stuck playing with unskilled forwards on the bottom lines.

Since Maclean has been fired, the Senators are scratching Chris Phillips (from top paring to scratch), and playing their top forwards in the top 6, allowing their younger players to play in Zibinejad, Hoffman, and Weircoch.

If Lou wants someone more loyal to veterans and more stubborn than Deboer that all the Senators players actively hated, well he has found someone.

BTW, I didn't even get into the fact that the team bled shots every night. Like multiple games in a row of 50+ shots and regularly over 35+

Edited by devilsrule33

maclean just makes no sense - none. i hope this is chere asking a player that just isn't in the know - which i'd think would be all of them. it's not like lou is going to ask one of the players or tell one guy early who is then gonna leak it to chere - that's just not how this works.

i mean, the NJ guys got scooped because PDB is a toronto guy and mckenzie is wired to all of them. actually surprised dreger didn't have it first but whatever. if it was maclean, i'd think one of the canadian guys would have let that out way before chere would've heard it from a player.

maclean just makes no sense - none. i hope this is chere asking a player that just isn't in the know - which i'd think would be all of them. it's not like lou is going to ask one of the players or tell one guy early who is then gonna leak it to chere - that's just not how this works.

i mean, the NJ guys got scooped because PDB is a toronto guy and mckenzie is wired to all of them. actually surprised dreger didn't have it first but whatever. if it was maclean, i'd think one of the canadian guys would have let that out way before chere would've heard it from a player.

who would you prefer?

I don't think that's true. He's taken over the bench when he thinks things are at a place where they are more his fault than not - that's my perception. Therefore, I think we'll see an interim or himself behind the bench. I can't imagine there's a coach in mind right now that he thinks is clearly a long term solution.

who would you prefer?

honestly - barr, or foligno, or lou. i want an interim coach. not because i think there's someone better that will be available in the offseason. just that i want a clean slate and, honestly, lou may have to be part of it. my feelings are clear - i want this team to sell off everything they can and try to rebuild in the draft quickly. i think trading one of the young d for a forward should be looked at. hell, i'd deal greene in the right deal (think ryan o'reilly).

i just think this organization could use a fresh voice at the head. a new philosophy.

If Maclean is hired, he won't be an interim coach. If you hated the things Pete Deboer did, you will hate the Paul Maclean that was the coach of Ottawa.

You know how you hate that Bryce Salvador plays? Well, the Senators have a Bryce Salvador of their own in Chris Phillips. Except he played top pairing minutes with Erik Karlsson, played 22+ minutes a night and regularly saw PP time.

Last year in must win games, Chris Neil and Zach Smith saw the most minutes in the 3rd period, and Neil was used as an extra attacker.

Maclean was completely unable to pay his top 6 skilled forwards on the top 6 instead mixing in veterans like Legwand and Michalek. The Senators struggling prospect was (Mika Zibanejad), and he was stuck playing with unskilled forwards on the bottom lines.

Since Maclean has been fired, the Senators are scratching Chris Phillips (from top paring to scratch), and playing their top forwards in the top 6, allowing their younger players to play in Zibinejad, Hoffman, and Weircoch.

If Lou wants someone more loyal to veterans and more stubborn than Deboer that all the Senators players actively hated, well he has found someone.

BTW, I didn't even get into the fact that the team bled shots every night. Like multiple games in a row of 50+ shots and regularly over 35+

Sounds great. Gimme a gun and a bullet so I can off myself. Edited by MadDog2020

oh absolutely, this is mostly on Lou, no argument there... (Although unless you're SD you have to at least acknowledge the underlying problem with the team is even beyond Lou's control- and that's the kovy/parise mess).

My point was more that even though it's mostly on Lou, he's in no serious danger- there's no doubt in my mind that he gets at the very least all of next year to show improvement... It's not as if he's looking at it like he needs to quick fix this for his job.

Oh please. Lol thats the thing, i know. You have a team with money problem, you have the heart of the team becoming a RFA... Thats the last time youre gonna have control of him. Theres chances the ownership/money problem is not resolved... Theres chances the player doesnt even want to sign long term. 2 things you have absolutely no control on past his rfa contract. In this case what you really want to avoid is to lose that guy for nothing. Best way to do that? Sign him one year... And pooff all ur leverage is gone from now on. Gamble everything hoping the ownership thing is resolved and that zach want to sign there. 2 things Lou had zero control on. He made a dumb gamble, not a great business decision at all. Theres no way round it.

If the ownership made it impossible to sign... Then thats another reason to trade him during the summer. What else can you do? He gambled and it failed. Thats it. He totally had control to give zach an ultimatum and trade him like shero did with staal and letang if they were not accepting. Stop acting like im crazy here. If you cant see that Lou made a huge leap of faith going all in with no safety net at all. Not sure what to tell you.

What pittsburgh did with letang an staal and what ottawa did with spezza is precisely what Lou should have done. Couldnt afford to keep them for wtv reasons... Traded them of forced them to sign long term. Kept their assets. Not sure whats so hard to understand there

Edited by SterioDesign

Oh please. Lol thats the thing, i know. You have a team with money problem, you have the heart of the team becoming a RFA... Thats the last time youre gonna have control of him. Theres chances the ownership/money problem is not resolved... Theres chances the player doesnt even want to sign long term. 2 things you have absolutely no control on past his rfa contract. In this case what you really want to avoid is to lose that guy for nothing. Best way to do that? Sign him one year... And pooff all ur leverage is gone from now on. Gamble everything hoping the ownership thing is resolved and that zach want to sign there. 2 things Lou had zero control on. He made a dumb gamble, not a great business decision at all. Theres no way round it.

If the ownership made it impossible to sign... Then thats another reason to trade him during the summer. What else can you do? He gambled and it failed. Thats it. He totally had control to give zach an ultimatum and trade him like shero did with staal and letang if they were not accepting. Stop acting like im crazy here. If you cant see that Lou made a huge leap of faith going all in with no safety net at all. Not sure what to tell you.

At least you aren't ignoring any details, like the fact that Zach was headed to arbitration and the 1 year contract was signed the night before that hearing. Those hearings get notoriously ugly and Lou wanted to avoid it. Zach's agents knew that. They had leverage and they used it.

There are so many layers, no matter how much you try to make it cut and dry.