5 potential successors to Lou Lamoriello as NJ Devils General Manager

BostonNala370

I think he plans to step down pretty soon, within the next season or so. It wouldn't shock me if the last thing he does as GM is hire Marty in some front office position and walk away.

I think a lot of people on this board want that to happen, and say it will happen, but I've never seen one shred of anything showing that Lou had any plans to retire. Or that anyone was thinking of firing him.

Of course, given Lou's usual policy for silence in internal issues, it's not surprising. But I have no idea what if anything people base their opinion on other than his age which is, as stated, just a number.

Edited by mfitz804

I think he plans to step down pretty soon, within the next season or so. It wouldn't shock me if the last thing he does as GM is hire Marty in some front office position and walk away.

I heard he had promised Elias and Marty that he would stay until they were done. Last of his true Dynasty core guys. We will see if that holds true but I think ownership is clearly looking for a plan forward here.

I heard he had promised Elias and Marty that he would stay until they were done. Last of his true Dynasty core guys. We will see if that holds true but I think ownership is clearly looking for a plan forward here.

If that were true, he'd have left 2 years ago!!

I think a lot of people on this board want that to happen, and say it will happen, but I've never seen one shred of anything showing that Lou had any plans to retire. Or that anyone was thinking of firing him.

Of course, given Lou's usual policy for silence in internal issues, it's not surprising. But I have no idea what if anything people base their opinion on other than his age which is, as stated, just a number.

There were rumors of a rift between Vanderbeek and Lou and the league when it stepped in made sure Lou was kept in place.

If that were true, he'd have left 2 years ago!!

I'm sensing sarcasm here since Elias is still on team and Brodeur was here last year.

Marty did mention in his book that he and Lou had a handshake agreement that Lou would stay as GM as long as Marty was on the team. It's not much of a stretch to think that Elias had a similar agreement.

I do think Lou's time is coming to an end soon, and I don't think his replacement is coming from inside the organization. I think it will be ownership's chance to put their stamp on the team, while also not forcing Lou out.

If the Devils want to think about this, they should consider -

A:  Someone younger than 50

B:  Someone who has been involved with hockey front offices for a while

C:  Preferably someone who didn't play NHL hockey, and especially someone who did not play for the Devils

I do trust ownership in this regard with their hiring of Sunny Mehta - they're not entirely beholden to hockey lifers for their secrets.  I'm not sure I trust Lou to pick his successor - something like George McPhee would be bad news. 

Edited by Triumph

If the Devils want to think about this, they should consider -

A: Someone younger than 50

B: Someone who has been involved with hockey front offices for a while

C: Preferably someone who didn't play NHL hockey, and especially someone who did not play for the Devils

I do trust ownership in this regard with their hiring of Sunny Mehta - they're not entirely beholden to hockey lifers for their secrets. I'm not sure I trust Lou to pick his successor - something like George McPhee would be bad news.

Agree on all counts, unfortunately McPhee is a name that keeps coming up if Lou has any say or recommendations.

Marty did mention in his book that he and Lou had a handshake agreement that Lou would stay as GM as long as Marty was on the team. It's not much of a stretch to think that Elias had a similar agreement.

I do think Lou's time is coming to an end soon, and I don't think his replacement is coming from inside the organization. I think it will be ownership's chance to put their stamp on the team, while also not forcing Lou out.

I believe they brought in all new people to run the Sixers basketball ops but I could be mistaken on that.

Agree on all counts, unfortunately McPhee is a name that keeps coming up if Lou has any say or recommendations.

The good news about McPhee is that he did build a team from the ground up.  And while this team doesn't need that, it would need someone who has an idea about how to do that.

Marty Brodeur, IMO it will take him to long to get up to speed, Lou has to go like next year not 3 years from now.

Brian Burke, IMO maybe not a strong candidate based on record.

Chris Lamoriello, IMO too much family connection Lou will be running things through son.

Doug Risebrough, IMO sound acceptable

David Conte, IMO too many ties to Lou and hasn't done so well in current job lately but that could be Lou.

http://justyouraveragefan.sportsblog.com/posts/1488408/5_potential_successors_to_lou_lamoriello_as_nj_devils_general_manager.html

What do you think?

If David Conte wanted to be a GM he would've become a GM by now. He had a million opportunities over the past 2 decades as far less qualified men than him waltzed into GM roles