Oates and Stevens both coaching. Lou overlord. Barr Out.

ghdi

This isn't getting much play, but how the fvck is Barr fired and Foligno is still here? Barr has a proven track record with his responsibilities. Foligno took over the PK, and it was a clusterfvck. There is no brighter spot on this team than the 7th ranked PP that Barr runs.

I wish Daniel was right about Lou purposely tanking, but I think he's better at it when he tries to do the opposite.

So is this like a tank strategy where Oates is in control and every blue moon when he actually comes up with a good idea Stevens knocks him out and concusses the thought out of his head? And then Lou is there to run practice until Oates regains consciousness?

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

The players still believed in DeBoer? Certainly didn't show it out on the ice. Again, you project how you think about things on to what is going on, and can't see that you are doing so. Why would a GM hire himself as the coach to oversee intentionally losing? Does that make any sense at all? And this after 2010-11, where the Devils never tanked?

You had a serious reporter say the players believed in DeBoer about a month ago as well as Elias, per Msweetwood. It didn't show on the ice because the talent isn't there.

The GM is taking it over himself because it's hard to get a new coach to sign up for something like that. And if it works, and the Devils end up with McDavid or Eichel, people will see it as a brilliant move and it would have been worth it.

In 2010-11 it was obvious you had a head coach who was on over his head. DeBoer, whatever you want to say about him, did not.

In the end, I think something clicked that really freaked out the front office and perhaps Lou himself, how bad this team was going to be at forward for a long time without something drastic. Perhaps it had something to do with Boucher showing that he can maybe be a fringe NHLer and Matteau maybe not even being that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou hired himself, Stevens, and Oates.  These are three guys who've been around the team recently. I think he's saying it wouldn't be fair to expect someone to walk in here and feel comfortable making changes.  Given what's out there coaching-wise, I can't be too surprised that he hired himself.  

We also don't have Lou's full quotes yet, so I'd want to see that in context,

"Wouldnt be fair to expect someone to walk in here and feel comfortable making changes".............. What?

Thats what any new coach has to do. All of them. You step in and make changes.

You had a serious reporter say the players believed in DeBoer about a month ago as well as Elias, per Msweetwood. It didn't show on the ice because the talent isn't there.

The GM is taking it over himself because it's hard to get a new coach to sign up for something like that. And if it works, and the Devils end up with McDavid or Eichel, people will see it as a brilliant move and it would have been worth it.

In 2010-11 it was obvious you had a head coach who was on over his head. DeBoer, whatever you want to say about him, did not.

In the end, I think something clicked that really freaked out the front office and perhaps Lou himself, how bad this team was going to be at forward for a long time without something drastic. Perhaps it had something to do with Boucher showing that he can maybe be a fringe NHLer and Matteau maybe not even being that.

Right, right.  Keep projecting - I'm sure your ideas are also shared by other people.  It's probably Boucher not doing well that led to all of this.

'Hey Scott - remember when you won all those Stanley Cups in New Jersey?  How'd you like to do the opposite of that?  Yeah - you get to travel all over North America.  You'll see at least 15 different practice facilities.  Compare hotel amenities in different cities.  How's the bellhop and so forth.  Oh - your goal with this team - to lose!  Hey, ruin Adam Larsson for us, would ya?  Kid can't even beat the mumps, how's he supposed to hold up against Ovechkin?'

Edited by Triumph

"Wouldnt be fair to expect someone to walk in here and feel comfortable making changes".............. What?

Thats what any new coach has to do. All of them. You step in and make changes.

There aren't any assets to cycle in to make changes right now.

This is the FIRST thing that came to my mind when I saw the announcement. In case you don't get the context or didn't watch The Office, at one point in the show they decided to have "co-managers" and let's just say it didn't work out.

Edited by hasunow

The fire sale will be commencing soon.

This is the FIRST thing that came to my mind when I saw the announcement. In case you don't get the context or didn't watch The Office, at one point in the show they decided to have "co-managers" and let's just say it didn't work out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nuq7XPfjZc

Sorry, not sure how to embed.

They aren't having co-managers.  Lou is right there with them.  He's the manager.

Scott Stevens says the plan is to get the "Devils identity back and be hard to play against."

Stevens said he "had no problem with Pete DeBoer at all" but admitted they had philsophical differences.

Yep, no problem with him, just that they had philosophical differences and that he left due to his ideas not being listened to and/or utilized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nuq7XPfjZc

Sorry, not sure how to embed.

You just copy and paste the link from the address field. Don't use the embed feature on the page though. That doesn't work.

Right, right. Keep projecting - I'm sure your ideas are also shared by other people. It's probably Boucher not doing well that led to all of this.

'Hey Scott - remember when you won all those Stanley Cups in New Jersey? How'd you like to do the opposite of that? Yeah - you get to travel all over North America. You'll see at least 15 different practice facilities. Compare hotel amenities in different cities. How's the bellhop and so forth. Oh - your goal with this team - to lose! Hey, ruin Adam Larsson for us, would ya? Kid can't even beat the mumps, how's he supposed to hold up against Ovechkin?'

Stevens isn't the head coach, Lou is, or something like that. But the point is not to get someone to go along with the plan (that's you projecting) it's that we actually had a good coach that from everything you hear the players still liked. (Wasn't it all the fancy stat a$$holes that said how wonderful DeBoer was but for Brodeur, who was the worst goalie that ever lived and that fancy stat people would save Edmonton? Guess their memory holes are more effective than anything Orwell could imagine). And now you fired him hastily and switched it for who knows what and who knows who's in control.

At the present moment even the GM has trouble saying who is in charge of the ship and also fired the guy who had a bunch of old fogies have one of the best pp and pk in the league a year ago. And at the same time the owners are tanking the basketball team they own, and the gamble that save percentage is destiny has failed completely.

One day perhaps they'll develop a spreadsheet that can show to the Spocks of the world what is glaringly obvious to everyone else.

Since a few people want to keep bringing up the basketball team that the Owners all own, well that team has won more games than the Devils in the last dozen or so, and has a top 10 defense in the NBA.

So, if Lou wanted to keep tanking, a coaching change wouldn't take place. Secondly, the Owners have no connection to the management of the hockey team in the NHL or the NBA. All they did was allow a GM in the NBA to tank and were behind that plan. Right now it looks they are 100% behind whatever Lou Lamoriello wants to do. It's surely not tanking.

lol so Lou's admitting they're 'tanking' when there's really nothing guaranteed to tank for unless you finish with the absolute worst record.

Clearly some don't understand the difference between tanking and rebuilding.  Tanking is actively trying to lose.  Rebuilding is doing everything with an eye to next year.

Stevens isn't the head coach, Lou is, or something like that. But the point is not to get someone to go along with the plan (that's you projecting) it's that we actually had a good coach that from everything you hear the players still liked. (Wasn't it all the fancy stat a$$holes that said how wonderful DeBoer was but for Brodeur, who was the worst goalie that ever lived and that fancy stat people would save Edmonton? Guess their memory holes are more effective than anything Orwell could imagine). And now you fired him hastily and switched it for who knows what and who knows who's in control.

At the present moment even the GM has trouble saying who is in charge of the ship and also fired the guy who had a bunch of old fogies have one of the best pp and pk in the league a year ago. And at the same time the owners are tanking the basketball team they own, and the gamble that save percentage is destiny has failed completely.

One day perhaps they'll develop a spreadsheet that can show to the Spocks of the world what is glaringly obvious to everyone else.

The players still liked the coach, but the coach was not getting results.  The Devils still liked Larry Robinson when he was fired in 2002 too.  At some point you can't go by what the players like.  I'm not saying I like the move necessarily or that I like it now, but it is not surprising that it happened.  I can't tell if what happened in Tuesday's game was coaching - if DeBoer wanted the team to go into a shell after going up one - or if the team lacks confidence and did that on their own.  Either way, something has to change, and you can't change out all the players.

Brodeur did cost last year's team, but we've been over that ground a hundred times.  St. Louis's defense has just gotten so much worse since he showed up.  The Devils have had injury issues and just about all the players they wanted to do well this year haven't, for one reason or another.  I don't think that's the coach's fault, but they're giving that a go before they start evaluating everyone else.

You shoot out in different directions and I like it.  Edmonton has been done in by horrible goaltending - whether that's also caused by their defense being terrible is something that's unclear.  Their shot differentials have gotten much better.  They still have problems on defense, with their own Salvador in Andrew Ference and Justin Schultz was up until recently the golden boy, and they never fixed their center issues.  Edmonton was a flawed team - I didn't think they would make the playoffs this year - their goaltending has just made what should be a controlled fire into a tire fire.

If the Devils wanted to go for McDavid or Eichel, Cory Schneider would no longer be on this team.  They're simply not going to finish low enough with him around.  You need to familiarize yourself with two razors - Occam's Razor says that the simplest explanation is usually the best one, and Hanlon's Razor says never attribute to malice what can equally be explained by stupidity.  They both ring pretty true to me in this scenario and a lot of others.

Edited by Triumph

To me the Devils have to get their defensemen more involved in the neutral zone.  Now I think we've seen some of that under DeBoer this year as compared to last, but they need to push the pace more.  The Devils can't be going up ice with 2 on 3s and 3 on 3s and expect to get much out of that.