GDT: 12/27/14 - Devils @ Rangers

Mike Brown

It's really not likely.  NJ is up 10 points on Edmonton, and up 7 points on Carolina (2 games in hand).  Plus Buffalo is playing above their heads - it's only a matter of time before they return to losing lots of games.

NJ was 18 points up on Edmonton just a few weeks ago.

Don't underestimate our futility Tri

Edited by Devilsfan118

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo is pretty bad still in terms of its roster makeup right now, but they do seem to be hanging on in games and winning some and they have young talent developing and plenty more coming in the pipeline over the next year or two.  Their goaltending also has not been absolutely awful like Edmontons.

I could see Carolina actually fighting it out with us back and forth in terms of draft position, especially if Jordan Staal comes back and plays well and Ward plays semi-decent.

Our futility really depends on if the injury train continues (it won't be this bad the rest of the year), and how quickly we sell off a couple of the decent vets.  As long as Schneider is here, we will stay in a decent amount of games.

I continue to feel we will probably pick 5th or 6th, and hoping one of the Zacha/Strome/Marner trio falls to us.

So many issues, don't even know where to start. But I'd suggest:

1) Develop the young defense. That doesn't include Harrold, who belongs in the AHL. Keep Zidlicky unless you can get someone to take him in trade.

2) Dump some old people. Trade Jagr to a contender who could use him, etc. Keep Elias, we owe him that. But okay him on the 3rd line.

3) figure out how to get out from under the cap hit for Clowe and Salvador. Neither may ever play again.

4) this will be unpopular, but get rid of Zajac. That contract we gave him is for a first line talent, which he is not. Get out from under that huge mistake of a deal.

5) Give me a front office position and/or lifetime season tickets. Because that us as likely to happen as #1-4.I

I could be wrong. But don't if they put Clowe on the LTIR it doesnt count to the cap? via Pronger with the Flyers

Salvador is done after this year anyway....we think :)

Clowe has 3 years left and could retire but chances are he'll go on LTIR like Pronger did. That just means you can go above the cap - but it limits things you do in the offseason - but I can't see us being a strict cap team in the next 3 years anyway - who are we be going to spend big money on?

Salvador is done after this year anyway....we think :)

Clowe has 3 years left and could retire but chances are he'll go on LTIR like Pronger did. That just means you can go above the cap - but it limits things you do in the offseason - but I can't see us being a strict cap team in the next 3 years anyway - who are we be going to spend big money on?

The NHL, especially with the new CBA, is going the route of baseball where you'll see fewer and fewer impact players make it to ufa status. The only teams that will be cap teams are the ones that are already good and need to keep it together as best as possible.

Basically the salary cap is a secondary concern for the Devils for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk