NFL Off Season 2015 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Depends on whether the NFL can convince the Second Circuit to hear the appeal on an expedited basis.  I think it probably should, but it's ultimately discretionary. 

I bet you that Goodell is praying that Greg Hardy, as rumored, takes Berman's decision as precedent and challenges his suspension in court.  Hardy, truly a bad guy, will be Exhibit A as to why the Commissioner should have final say on discipline.  It would be an opportunity to get the Second Circuit to really consider whether federal courts should decide whether every player that beats the crap out of some woman got treated fairly by the league.  While Brady obviously did not do anything like that, the authority that the commissioner used to suspend him, is the same that he used to suspend Hardy. 

Even without something extraneous like that though, I think the NFL will ultimately win.  The idea is that the players union agreed that these sorts of grievances would be handled by the league, and, as the saying goes, they wouldn't make a federal case out of it. 

Who knows where this goes?  So many articles saying that Goodell and the NFL would win this time...the fact is no one has any idea what happens next.  Long ago I just reached the point of having enough with the endless media speculation...so many on-air hours and articles devoted to "I think this is what will happen based on..."  After a while it just all feels like such a waste of time...reacting to every different scenario possible and wondering "What if?"  At least now there's actually a concrete one to react to...but more "Well this is what might happen next, even though we thought the NFL would win..." is coming.  It just never friggin' ends.   

One thing that never gets old is seeing Goodell get slapped around like the arrogant Fuhrer fvck that he is.  The guy is damned near impossible to take, and by extension, the league is becoming harder to take...regardless of who "won" today, I'm already sick of the NFL before the first snap of the season...offseasons are good, in that I think fans need a break so that they can recharge and regain their excitement for the next season.  I feel like the NFL has been in my face every friggin' day since the Super Bowl...that ain't a good thing, at all.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL is appealing, of course. If they win, Brady will be suspended later in the season or next year. This 'ain't going away yet...

It's extremely unusual for one court to overturn something only for a higher court to then overturn that, no? Like someone posted on Twitter the NFL got to choose the venue and STILL lost this one just like they lose pretty much every time they go to court since repeatedly going around their own stated guidelines isn't looked on kindly by courts.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's extremely unusual for one court to overturn something only for a higher court to then overturn that, no? Like someone posted on Twitter the NFL got to choose the venue and STILL lost this one just like they lose pretty much every time they go to court since repeatedly going around their own stated guidelines isn't looked on kindly by courts.

What's extremely unusual is for a court to overturn the decision of an arbitrator. While I haven't read the decision, the NFL I believe argued that the NFL's disciplinary process is legally the same thing as an arbitration, but I don't know whether the judge accepted that premise.

As for losing in the venue that the NFL chose, it's not as significant one way or the other as some are making it out to be. The NFL chose the venue, probably because they wanted to avoid a specific judge in Minnesota who tends to side with the players (but who also frequently gets reversed). There are something like 20 judges in the particular court where the case was heard, and the judge that gets assigned is picked at random.

EDIT: NFL filed its notice of appeal, but didn't seek a stay and nothing that indicates they want an expedited briefing schedule.  So Brady is playing the entire season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Through 6½ quarters of preseason football, Tebow went 21-35. He rushed for 82 yrds.. threw for nearly 300 yrds.. and accounted for 3 TD's rushing\throwing. He threw only one interception, off an ill advised throw on 4th and 16.

Call me crazy, but I think he just earned a spot with the Eagles. And even if he doesn't make the team.. I think another club will take a shot on him.

..he might have the worst arm in the league, but hot damn.. the son of a bitch moves the chains.

Through 6½ quarters of preseason football, Tebow went 21-35. He rushed for 82 yrds.. threw for nearly 300 yrds.. and accounted for 3 TD's rushing\throwing. He threw only one interception, off an ill advised throw on 4th and 16.

Call me crazy, but I think he just earned a spot with the Eagles. And even if he doesn't make the team.. I think another club will take a shot on him.

..he might have the worst arm in the league, but hot damn.. the son of a bitch moves the chains.

On that long throw he completed when they put him back in the game...arm looked just fine. Granted he throws the ball like a javelin but it got there.

There's FAR more going on here than we'll ever see, unless we hack the NFL E-mail servers.

This latest leak feels vindictive and meant to judge the Pats through the court of public opinion.  Also, Kraft was long a Goodell ally, and now Goodell has nuked that bridge.  

I can't see Roger the Sheriff making it through the year with what's left of his power intact, if he even keeps his job.