Pete DeBoer: Success or Failure?

Derlique

43 members have voted

1. 1. Success or Failure?

• Success
    • Failure

Now that some of the dust has settled, would you classify the DeBoer era a success or failure. Missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, but gave us one of the most memorable few months in franchise history.

I voted success because I truly feel he got everything out of what he had. He was a victim of poor rosters, crappy ownership, which led to superstars leaving. What say you?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that some of the dust has settled, would you classify the DeBoer era a success or failure. Missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, but gave us one of the most memorable few months in franchise history.

I voted success because I truly feel he got everything out of what he had. He was a victim of poor rosters, crappy ownership, which led to superstars leaving. What say you?

It's pretty simple for me...

When the Devils traded for Ilya Kovalchuk, the bar was set for this to be a Cup Contender with Kovalchuk and Parise leading the way. In 2012, the Devils got within 2 games of winning the Cup Finals, and for a new generation of fans, it gave them their greatest moment ever.

After 2012, the Devils lost Parise and Sykora, adding no one. Brodeur was injured and his play drastically slipped. Hedberg was the worst goalie in the NHL. Kovy and Clarkson left. The ceiling of the team was not very high the last few years. So we can argue if they underachieved since 2012, but what was the ceiling? An 8th seed losing in the 1st round to the Bruins?

So I'll gladly take the 2012 Cup run with all the same good stuff there, and a few disappointing seasons over...say a 2nd round playoff loss in 2012, missed playoffs in 2013, a 1st round playoff loss in 2014, and 9th currently this year. Pete Deboer had 1 year where the team was worth a damn, and that turned out to be a really great ride.

Make no mistake, the Deboer era in NJ has had some incredible lows. But those lows had nothing to do with the coaching and the on-ice play, but rather stars leaving and ownership issues.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think he was a good coach...  but there were clearly some deficiencies from him.  

It wasn't just the team composition.  We blew a lot of late leads with bad personnel on the ice late.    No team should lose as many shootouts as we did.  It got in their heads...   it doesn't make us cup contenders; and yes; we'd wind up losing to Boston in a 1-8 pairing.   

The team played hard, but teams today need 2+ star players supported by responsible scoring/defensive depth.    Jagr (and Elias) should be your 3rd line scoring forward who bumps up to 2nd with injuries.  They shouldn't be our top forwards.   Losing Parise/Kovy was the death sentence to this rebuild attempt.  We need to restart and hopefully we are; hence the "unique situation" post DeBoer.

i dont know what to vote for... Deboer showed that he can get a team to the finals with his system but he needs good players to support it... Lou lost all his players and replaced it with subpar replacements. Thats not his fault.

But i think Deboer may have dent the development of a few of your youngsters 

what more could you want with this team? yeah it grew old this year, but theres only so much Sh** you can throw up against the wall. lou and co will have a spark short term, and play a slightly different style. but in the end were at best a marginal to just miss PO team when everything goes right.

Success.

We don't get as far as we do in 2011-2012 Playoffs without his coaching style, system, calm demeanor and of course the assistant coaching team he had beside him (Larry Robinson and Adam Oates to a smaller extent). That run was a shot of adrenaline to our fanbase (which has been growing since, despite the bad results), and the deficiencies that followed, I think were 90% management related. We had no business making it to the Finals that year, simple as that, and it was all coaching, all system that got us there.

Without him, we probably lose that Panthers first round series, and if not, definitely the Flyers series, and we'd still probably miss the playoffs past couple years. This team is uncoachable, unsalvageable in its current state. You could throw Babcock behind the bench and we'd still be where we are.

Edited by DJ Eco

With the right team, he was a great success. With the wrong team, he was a huge failure, as he failed imo to develop young talent. The past couple years, we've been crap. I would have liked to see Lars sink or swim, rather than ever seeing Sal or Harrold. Maybe some of that falls on Lou refusing to say die, but I see a coach like Lemaire making more progress with a sh!t team than DeBo did, progress that maybe makes us a little better this year, though no one could get much out of this core of forwards. In DeBo's defense, I don't see Lemaire taking the 2012 team to the finals. It just seemed like DeBo did everything right during that run.

It seems like three times every year I saw here how incompetent DeBoer was.  Line combinations, troubles with young players, shootout failures, and (my biggest problem with him) blowing leads in the third.  Not to mention that he missed the playoffs all but once.  One run at a cup doesn't erase all of these things for me.  Plenty of times the "experts" have said the Devils lost too much talent to compete but for a long period of time, the playoffs were assumed. 

It sounds like I hated him, but everyone here seems to be pointing out where to absolve him of a lot of blame.  He's a great coach for x's and o's but I think he turned the Devils into a weak-minded team.

i think Deboer was a good coach, and still is. This year he was handed a very hodgepodge mediocre team with little chance to succeed. I'm beginning to lose faith in Lou. (similar "good ole boy" thinking we see in Edmonton. )  We don't have depth in the org. at fw (maybe on "D") poor scouting? 

I went with failure because he did not learn from his errors.  I didn't enjoy seeing what he was up to with his coaching -- I thought I was going to too.  I always enjoyed seeing Sutter work his ass off.  Problems don't bug me -- I love to see how people handle them. Pete was lame... very disappointed. 

I went with success.

Hard to blame him when ownership has been in turmoil thus affecting personnel decisions, having top players leave in such a short amount of time, and plenty of bad luck.  It seems like everything that happened since the 2012 finals run was paid back by awful luck in the following 2 seasons.  This season there is plenty of blame to go around to everyone.

In the end I still see him as a better coach than Constantine, Ftorek, McVie and others from the pre-Cup era and of course Brent Sutter who I couldn't stand.

Good but not great.

1994–2014.... 20 years of Head Coaching..

Jacques Lemaire.. Robbie Ftorek.. Larry Robinson.. Kevin Constantine.. Pat Burns.. Lou Lamoriello.. Claude Julien.. Brent Sutter.. John MacLean..
..of the aforementioned HC’s,  Pete DeBoer has a better winning percentage than just one.... John MacLean. Everyone else has a higher Win%.

1 playoff berth in 4 seasons, and 114 wins in 248 games coached. Is there an: “average\mediocre” choice that I could possibly vote for??
..because if Pete DeBoer is considered a “success” ..what is Claude Julien, with nearly 50 wins in 79 games? --a God?

PDCJ_zpsd4591892.png

Edited by Beezer34

Jacques Lemaire.. Robbie Ftorek.. Larry Robinson.. Kevin Constantine.. Pat Burns.. Lou Lamoriello.. Claude Julien.. Brent Sutter.. John MacLean..

..of the aforementioned HC’s,  Pete DeBoer has a better winning percentage than just one.... John MacLean. Everyone else has a higher Win%.

1 playoff berth in 4 seasons, and 114 wins in 248 games coached. Is there an: “average\mediocre” choice that I could possibly vote for??

..because if Pete DeBoer is considered a “success” ..what is Claude Julien, with nearly 50 wins in 79 games? --a God?

PDCJ_zpsd4591892.png

I think that's overly simplistic.  Every single one of them, including yes John MacLean had much better teams in front of them than Pete has had these last 2 years.

PDCJ_zpsd4591892.png

lol harsh. not untrue, but harsh

I think that's overly simplistic.

fair, but so is this 2 choice poll