It could be worse

roomtemp

its bad in EDM but at least they have really really talented players who can be part of a solid core. They have pieces so they just have to figure out what to do with it. Its the management the problem over there but they have PLENTY of assets to turn this around.

Here... well we have very few true core guys and the future is really really really up in the air. I think we're worse

We could be Edmonton. I mean at least you see where the future success can come from with our goaltending and young defensemen. In Edmonton they are such a hot mess that they are now the Mickey Mouse team.

Haha, I was actually going to make a long post on this subject.  Edmonton has been 'lucky' enough to win the lottery 3 times.  Everyone here who wants Lou gone and wants a total rebuild would LOVE this.  They've drafted 1st or 2nd overall in 4 out of the last 5 drafts.  And yet here they are, it's January, they're in last place and they're selling off NHL players who have plenty of career left for magic beans again.  Nail Yakupov is getting unlucky but still doesn't look like he's going to be all that much.  Justin Schultz, who they signed to a lot of fanfare, is kinda garbage, and yet he gets tons of minutes.  People complain about how little ice time someone like Larsson gets - this is the other side of it, where the guy keeps making mistakes and just gets thrown back out there like nothing's wrong.  

Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins are really good players.  That's just not enough to do it how Edmonton's chosen to do it.  Even if Edmonton manages to get Eichel or McDavid, I don't know when they will actually be good.

Actually I was making a comment last night that if you could combine the Devils and Edmonton and re-draft both teams equally you'd probably end up with two good teams, they both have what the other one needs pretty badly :lol:

Could definitely be worse.  And now that I've sort of accepted the fact that this season is already a total-loss it makes losing games easier to tolerate.  At least this organization has a philosophy and a (recent) winning tradition.

Actually I was making a comment last night that if you could combine the Devils and Edmonton and re-draft both teams equally you'd probably end up with two good teams, they both have what the other one needs pretty badly :lol:

Kinda makes you wonder how we haven't shipped a young defender there for a young forward yet.

Gelinas+ for Eberle?  :giggle:

its bad in EDM but at least they have really really talented players who can be part of a solid core. They have pieces so they just have to figure out what to do with it. Its the management the problem over there but they have PLENTY of assets to turn this around.

Here... well we have very few true core guys and the future is really really really up in the air. I think we're worse

They've been losing horribly since 2007.  This will mark their 8th season of not even coming close to the playoffs and it looks like they are headed for a 9th.  Meanwhile the Devils made the playoffs 5 of those years and went to the Cup Finals.

The Devils are not worse. 

All of the core in the world means nothing with no direction. As much as Lou gets crapped on, this team is being built from the goal out again. Solid goaltending and a good defensive core. Now they need to build the forward group. Whether you agree with it or not, it's at least some sort of plan.

Edmonton will take McDavid or Eichel and throw them on the pile and hope for best. There's a lot of talent being wasted there right now.

All of the core in the world means nothing with no direction. As much as Lou gets crapped on, this team is being built from the goal out again. Solid goaltending and a good defensive core. Now they need to build the forward group. Whether you agree with it or not, it's at least some sort of plan.

Edmonton will take McDavid or Eichel and throw them on the pile and hope for best. There's a lot of talent being wasted there right now.

True.  To defend Edmonton a little bit, they do have some decent defensive prospects and guys who are coming up in Klefbom and Nurse.  They made a nice signing in Fayne to try and stem the tide but guys like Ference and Nikitin have been relative busts.  The goaltending is abysmal however and the forwards don't play in all zones well enough to help defend or win.

I can understand and respect Lou's idea of a plan of redoing the back-end and keeping the defensive approach intact and it makes sense, however the forwards situation is a wound that needs to be fixed and it's going to require a bit of patience.  We gambled on filling it with vets to buy time and it unfortunately has not worked.

So when we trade Gelinas in a package for Eberle and win the lottery...next season  :koolaid:  :koolaid:  :koolaid:  :koolaid:

Cammaleri-McDavid-Eberle

Boucher-Zajac-Elias-Henrique (Yup someone needs an RW)

Elias-Josefson-Ruutu

Matteau (he needs to be on roster next year) - Gionta-Zubrus

Greene-Larsson

Severson-Merrill

Helgeson-Oduya  :devil:

Harrold

Boom

True.  To defend Edmonton a little bit, they do have some decent defensive prospects and guys who are coming up in Klefbom and Nurse.  They made a nice signing in Fayne to try and stem the tide but guys like Ference and Nikitin have been relative busts.  The goaltending is abysmal however and the forwards don't play in all zones well enough to help defend or win.

I can understand and respect Lou's idea of a plan of redoing the back-end and keeping the defensive approach intact and it makes sense, however the forwards situation is a wound that needs to be fixed and it's going to require a bit of patience.  We gambled on filling it with vets to buy time and it unfortunately has not worked.

The problem is that when you have a bad team (and we're seeing it this year with the Devils), everyone is just worse than they would be.  Will Klefbom develop right in that slaughterhouse?  Who knows.  Even if he does, will he reach his full potential?  And then if he doesn't, who is going to trade a lot for a guy who can't make it work on a bad team?  Everyone's trade value takes a step back, and even the guys you could trade for a lot, you can't because you need them and you'll be trading a quarter for 4 nickels if you do manage to deal that player.  Then you have a guy like Perron who basically asked out - so this is a perfectly capable player in his prime who says 'No thanks, I'd like to go somewhere else'.  And the Oilers dealt him for a draft pick.  Petry is probably gone at the trade deadline - that's another hole to fill.  

The Penguins and Blackhawks had some pieces in place already.  The Oilers didn't, and now they have been through a complete roster turnover since their playoff-less streak began.

So when we trade Gelinas in a package for Eberle and win the lottery...next season  :koolaid:  :koolaid:  :koolaid:  :koolaid:

Cammaleri-McDavid-Eberle

Boucher-Zajac-Elias-Henrique (Yup someone needs an RW)

Elias-Josefson-Ruutu

Matteau (he needs to be on roster next year) - Gionta-Zubrus

Greene-Larsson

Severson-Merrill

Helgeson-Oduya  :devil:

Harrold

Boom

we need to hit on a top forward, finishing third last in the league puts us in the lottery running. I dont think we'll get there but it could be close. that would be huge!! then a top FA forward in 2016 and a packaged deal with our yound D corp for another forward and we could be a very good team going forward in 2016.

forget edmonton, the devils have a good front office and a good hockey system.  we know what to do on the ice

New Jersey has the two hardest areas to fill locked up in my opinion. Larsson, Severson, Merrill, Gelinas and Santini in the system with Schneider and Kinkaid, you are in pretty good shape. Next up is to fill the middle with a game breaking center. NJ will most likely get a potential 1st line center who makes linemates better in this draft. 

Maybe a gelinas/pulkkinen type trade.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

It's why I trust Lou in working towards the rebuild. He's gotten pieces already and knows what the team needs - he remains patient because any move that is out of place can really fvck up the team long term. I can't think of a bad trade Lou has really ever made, seriously.

He's had his blunders, no doubt. But most of his moves are pretty well done

But his blunders have been really limited in their negative scope. I think the worst blunder of them all was probably having to trade the #1 pick when ridding himself of I think it was Malakhov's contract in 2006?

Ugh, yeah that was a low point

Edit:... I looked back to his early years for the hell of it. He traded Pat Verbeek for Sylvain Turgeon, so that wasn't great, but then he flipped Turgeon for Lemieux a few years later. Not bad in the long run haha.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Ugh, yeah that was a low point

Edit:... I looked back to his early years for the hell of it. He traded Pat Verbeek for Sylvain Turgeon, so that wasn't great, but then he flipped Turgeon for Lemieux a few years later. Not bad in the long run haha.

It was only a year later...Turgeon had gained a rep as being an injury-prone softie (who was lazy to boot) prior to being dealt to the Devils. Lou only needed one year to see that everything he'd heard about Turgeon was 100% accurate, but Turgeons' 30 goals scored with the Devils (and his still-tantalizing ability) was enough that some teams were still interested. Lou knew that and was able to get value back for him in Lemieux.

Paul Ysebeart for Lee Norwood was a rough one...Lou never thought Ysebeart would amount to much in the NHL, mostly because he thought Ysebeart would always be a serious defensive liability. Ysebeart had a couple of good years with Detroit, and played in the NHL longer than expected.

Joe Cirella and Claude Loiselle for the late Walt Poddubny had the chance to be a steal or the Devils, had Poddubny not injured his back (he was never the same).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

They've been losing horribly since 2007.  This will mark their 8th season of not even coming close to the playoffs and it looks like they are headed for a 9th.  Meanwhile the Devils made the playoffs 5 of those years and went to the Cup Finals.

The Devils are not worse. 

if you look at it that way of course yes. I really meant at this very moment and going forward

New Jersey has the two hardest areas to fill locked up in my opinion. Larsson, Severson, Merrill, Gelinas and Santini in the system with Schneider and Kinkaid, you are in pretty good shape. Next up is to fill the middle with a game breaking center. NJ will most likely get a potential 1st line center who makes linemates better in this draft.

Maybe a gelinas/pulkkinen type trade.

Plus we have lesser prospects such as Jacobs/Habarenka(spelling?) who just might turn out good Edited by Louismydad