Are the Leafs in Chaos, and does Pete DeBoer have a new job?

William D'Aquila

Come to think of it, they're probably delusional enough up there to wait and see if Babcock leaves Detroit (he won't) before they do anything.

Well the Leafs would have no issue doubling whatever Detroit would pay him, especially if the natives end up getting really restless. 

Well the Leafs would have no issue doubling whatever Detroit would pay him, especially if the natives end up getting really restless.

You'd have to be nuts to leave that situation for the circus in Toronto. Certifiably insane. More money or not. Babcock has it good- the Red Wings are a top notch organization from top to bottom. He should just stay where he is.

You'd have to be nuts to leave that situation for the circus in Toronto. Certifiably insane. More money or not. Babcock has it good- the Red Wings are a top notch organization from top to bottom. He should just stay where he is.

Unless you think highly enough of yourself... and you want your legacy to include "restoring the Leafs to glory"

Clarkson did it. It's the mentality that you can restore an old former great team back to glory. It's how the Rangers can continue to draw UFAs in at their whim. That egotistical thought process is what keeps places like Toronto and Montreal and New York afloat personnel-wise despite years of futility. On paper, who'd want to coach these teams?

But no, the thought process is, "Hey, I'm the guy to do it," kinda like a business that keeps changing management and always fails. On a long enough timeline SOMEONE in fact will succeed, and everyone thinks it can be them.

Edited by DJ Eco

I'd go that far. Severson is the best defense prospect this organization has had since Scott Niedermayer, and it isn't close.

Only way you don't just hang up the phone if someone mentions Severson's name is if the name of a truly elite forward talent is coming the other way. Even then I'd be very hesitant to trade him. He's going to be REALLY good. Have to give him at least another season or two to see just how good he's going to be otherwise trading him could be one of those decisions that haunts a franchise for a while.

Only way you don't just hang up the phone if someone mentions Severson's name is if the name of a truly elite forward talent is coming the other way. Even then I'd be very hesitant to trade him. He's going to be REALLY good. Have to give him at least another season or two to see just how good he's going to be otherwise trading him could be one of those decisions that haunts a franchise for a while.

If say, Tampa called and said 'Severson'?- my reply would be 'Stamkos'? Then we'd see who could hang the phone up quicker lol. Edited by MadDog2020

I bet they move Kessel.

Wonder what it'd realistically take to get him from TO?  

They need D, the Devils have a plethora of a young dman, I would imagine that would be the ideal starting point.

Severson - ideally you don't want to get rid of him

Larsson -  potential trade chip

Merrill - potential trade chip

Gelinas - potential trade chip 

Severson brings the same skill-set as Gelinas, but can actually play D. 

Larsson and Merrill are even. Merrill might have better mobility, but Larsson has a stronger d game, and there are glimpses of offense. I keep Larsson over Merrill.

So far you have Merrill and Gelinas to work with. 

Offensive forward prospects Boucher and Matteau. You trade Boucher, because Kessel is the player we are getting back. However, Toronto has puck possession issues, which likely makes Matteau the more attractive player to them. I give in and give them Matteau.

So now we have Gelinas, Merrill, and Matteau.

That isn't enough, but you can sweeten the pot with our draft pick this year as long as you get Toronto's 1st back this year or next.

So you offer Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, Ryder, and our 2015 pick. In return we get Kessel and their 2015 1st. 

Cammy Zajac Kessel

Elias Gomez Jagr

Ruutu Henrique Havlat

Zubrus Jo Bernier/Gionta

Greene Larsson

Severson Hegelson

Zidlicky Fraser/Harrold

Clarkson did it. It's the mentality that you can restore an old former great team back to glory. It's how the Rangers can continue to draw UFAs in at their whim. That egotistical thought process is what keeps places like Toronto and Montreal and New York afloat personnel-wise despite years of futility. On paper, who'd want to coach these teams?

But no, the thought process is, "Hey, I'm the guy to do it," kinda like a business that keeps changing management and always fails. On a long enough timeline SOMEONE in fact will succeed, and everyone thinks it can be them.

Except that the Rangers were never a "great" team. Toronto has had 13 cup wins all of them before expansion. New York has had a grand total of 4 cup wins all but one of them long before expansion. That means that in a 40 year time period that saw the NHL averaging between 6 and 10 teams, the Rangers managed to put together a grand total of 3 cup wins. For 27 years  between 1940 and 1967 they were one of 6 or 7 teams and couldn't pull off a single cup win. Heck, in that span they only went to the finals once!

They need D, the Devils have a plethora of a young dman, I would imagine that would be the ideal starting point.

Severson - ideally you don't want to get rid of him

Larsson -  potential trade chip

Merrill - potential trade chip

Gelinas - potential trade chip 

Severson brings the same skill-set as Gelinas, but can actually play D. 

Larsson and Merrill are even. Merrill might have better mobility, but Larsson has a stronger d game, and there are glimpses of offense. I keep Larsson over Merrill.

So far you have Merrill and Gelinas to work with. 

Offensive forward prospects Boucher and Matteau. You trade Boucher, because Kessel is the player we are getting back. However, Toronto has puck possession issues, which likely makes Matteau the more attractive player to them. I give in and give them Matteau.

So now we have Gelinas, Merrill, and Matteau.

That isn't enough, but you can sweeten the pot with our draft pick this year as long as you get Toronto's 1st back this year or next.

So you offer Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, Ryder, and our 2015 pick. In return we get Kessel and their 2015 1st. 

Cammy Zajac Kessel

Elias Gomez Jagr

Ruutu Henrique Havlat

Zubrus Jo Bernier/Gionta

Greene Larsson

Severson Hegelson

Zidlicky Fraser/Harrold

no