Are the Leafs in Chaos, and does Pete DeBoer have a new job?

William D'Aquila

They need D, the Devils have a plethora of a young dman, I would imagine that would be the ideal starting point.

Severson - ideally you don't want to get rid of him

Larsson - potential trade chip

Merrill - potential trade chip

Gelinas - potential trade chip

Severson brings the same skill-set as Gelinas, but can actually play D.

Larsson and Merrill are even. Merrill might have better mobility, but Larsson has a stronger d game, and there are glimpses of offense. I keep Larsson over Merrill.

So far you have Merrill and Gelinas to work with.

Offensive forward prospects Boucher and Matteau. You trade Boucher, because Kessel is the player we are getting back. However, Toronto has puck possession issues, which likely makes Matteau the more attractive player to them. I give in and give them Matteau.

So now we have Gelinas, Merrill, and Matteau.

That isn't enough, but you can sweeten the pot with our draft pick this year as long as you get Toronto's 1st back this year or next.

So you offer Merrill, Gelinas, Matteau, Ryder, and our 2015 pick. In return we get Kessel and their 2015 1st.

Cammy Zajac Kessel

Elias Gomez Jagr

Ruutu Henrique Havlat

Zubrus Jo Bernier/Gionta

Greene Larsson

Severson Hegelson

Zidlicky Fraser/Harrold

Kessel helps but he doesn't solve this teams problem. And you are basically stripping the team of any potential it has for one player.

This is a horrible idea. Plus our 1st has the potential to be an exceptional player better than Kessel.

I'm not trading a pick. Who knows of we'll be any good in Kessel's prime? We need to rebuild our forward core through the draft, not keep acting like we're 1 player away from relevance.

You guys wanna see a horribly run franchise, look across the river at the Red Bulls. Rumor this morning that head coach Mike Petke has been fired.... Let's dissect this one:

- New York native, fan favorite while he played here.

- Gets hired as coach, and in his FIRST SEASON as coach leads Red Bulls to best regular season record in history, and first silverware, Supporter's Shield (aka President's Trophy)

- Second season as coach leads Red Bulls to Eastern Conference Finals through two rounds of upsets of higher seeds, came about as close as they could.

- Fan favorite, I'm saying it again, because it can't be stressed enough. It's like Messier coaching the Rangers or Brodeur coaching the Devils through two very successful years as their debut act.

And then he gets fired, not at the end of the season, but one week before the draft, two weeks before preseason starts.... Been following this team since I was 8 and this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Edited by DJ Eco

Any reason why they are firing him?

There are some moves that organization has made in the last few years where I wonder if management wants them to lose and the team just keeps winning despite that.

No idea. It's been reported on Metro, then Yahoo, Bleacher Report, ESPN, etc.... No official word from Red Bulls PR yet, and yet furthermore, in strange fashion, their social media has been silent for longer than usual. They're usually up at all hours posting stuff pretty consistently.

For the people who don't follow RB too much, I repeat: it's like Messier coaching the Rangers or Brodeur coaching the Devils through two very successful years as their debut act... and then getting fired 1 week before the draft/2 weeks before training camp.

Edited by DJ Eco

Re Kessel being able to be had for a reasonable price, some of it will depend on how much front office decisions are influenced by the Toronto media, or perhaps if Kessel's play is really affected by it.  I listen to NHL radio on XM a lot, and you have Bill Watters on a couple of times a week who essentially spends almost the entirety of his segment saying how Phil Kessel is the worst human being to ever walk the face of the earth and that he (and Phaneuf) are the reason the Leafs are not winning the Cup every year.

I know it's easy to say that teams don't really act based on local media perception, but Toronto seems to be a different kind of animal.

Since NY has their own MLS team now, the Red Bulls need to change their name to NJ and stop pretending to be a NYC team like the two idiot football teams. But that's neither here nor there. Just thought it needed to be said lol.

They (and by extension MLS in general) lost me as a fan the moment they removed the NJ from the name and would regain me the moment they fixed that.

They (and by extension MLS in general) lost me as a fan the moment they removed the NJ from the name and would regain me the moment they fixed that.

They won't though, they'll still try to pass themselves off as a 'NY' team, even though there's an ACTUAL NY team now. It's a chance to gain some new fans in NJ (people like you and I, for example), and help promote the game of soccer around the state. I know I would probably watch if I had a team I knew was representing me and my home state. But hey, marketing brah. Bright lights brah. Broadway brah. Hey Red Bulls- you play in Harrison. Stop trying to be something you're not. Brah.

They won't though, they'll still try to pass themselves off as a 'NY' team, even though there's an ACTUAL NY team now. It's a chance to gain some new fans in NJ (people like you and I, for example), and help promote the game of soccer around the state. I know I would probably watch if I had a team I knew was representing me and my home state. But hey, marketing brah. Bright lights brah. Broadway brah. Hey Red Bulls- you play in Harrison. Stop trying to be something you're not. Brah.

The Metrostars were lovable losers. Tony Meola and all that whatnot. Irony of it all is that there really are strong soccer communities in NJ they could market to, both of the English and Spanish speaking varieties.

I would normally agree with you on this one, but that's the least of our worries right now unfortunately. 

*sorry to derail the thread*

You'd have to be nuts to leave that situation for the circus in Toronto. Certifiably insane. More money or not. Babcock has it good- the Red Wings are a top notch organization from top to bottom. He should just stay where he is.

Or maybe, just maybe, the guy likes the idea of a new challenge and likes the idea of being the guy who helped turn the ship around up there under the brightest lights in the league. This is how many competitive people think and its certainly not a stretch, espc considering the type of $ MLSE could feasibly offer Babcock. Easy street as he seemingly has in Detroit is not always fun. It can get boring.

I don't think he'll do it, but to say he'd be nuts? Not at all, he may want a new challenge. He's already won in Detroit. Its a perfectly understandable reason for why he'd want to do it. 

I hope that Toronto hires DeBoer it is evident that he wasn't the problem with the NJ Devils.

The problem is the team. The players on the team. Let's wait and see what the owners do about that.

I do not want Toronto to hire DeBoer. He might actually be able to turn that team around and have them winning games the right way. They have a quality forward group and their defense isn't too bad either. Outside of the Pens, Isles and Bolts, there's no one else that is scaring anybody in the East, so if they can finally commit to playing better defense and have someone layout a clear plan for the offense, they could be a real threat.

I do not want Toronto to hire DeBoer. He might actually be able to turn that team around and have them winning games the right way. They have a quality forward group and their defense isn't too bad either. Outside of the Pens, Isles and Bolts, there's no one else that is scaring anybody in the East, so if they can finally commit to playing better defense and have someone layout a clear plan for the offense, they could be a real threat.

So what if he turns that team around and they start winning and become a threat in the east. The Devils will have to put a better team on the ice, competition is good. It's up to the owners of the Devils to decide where they want to be come playoff time and make the necessary changes. Missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 years with no improvement in sight for quite a while only suggests we will have much of the same for a while. They don't deserve to back into the playoffs.

Later this month Toronto comes to the Rock, I think it would be great to have DeBoer coaching Toronto vs the 3 headed Devils coaches.

Edited by BostonNala370

So what if he turns that team around and they start winning and become a threat in the east. The Devils will have to put a better team on the ice, competition is good. It's up to the owners of the Devils to decide where they want to be come playoff time and make the necessary changes. Missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 years with no improvement in sight for quite a while only suggests we will have much of the same for a while. They don't deserve to back into the playoffs.

Later this month Toronto comes to the Rock, I think it would be great to have DeBoer coaching Toronto vs the 3 headed Devils coaches.

It's one more tough team that the Devils would have to compete with in the coming seasons. Not to mention the egos Toronto fans would suddenly have. They're unbearable as is, imagine if they had a halfway decent team, lol.

It's one more tough team that the Devils would have to compete with in the coming seasons. Not to mention the egos Toronto fans would suddenly have. They're unbearable as is, imagine if they had a halfway decent team, lol.

That's what competition is all about. If the Devils owners chose not to be competitive that's their business. That certainly has been the case 4 out of the last 5 years. We don't know what the Devils fans would be like with a competitive team because there hasn't been a competitive Devils team since 2005 except for the fluke 4 years ago. These owners have missed the playoffs the past 3 years including this year and next year will be the same without a major change.