GDT: Buffalo @ Devils

MadDog2020

The Devils have almost no chance of finishing below Buffalo.  They are horrendous.

They are 4 pts behind us with one game in hand. They win in regulation t'night and they are 2 pts behind that's it. 

They will likely trade a few of Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell and Meszaros, few of them are still young and could be useful if they want to stay

While we should likely trade Zids, Jagr and Ryder which none of them would be useful in 1-2-3 years.

They have guys who can score in SO too thats also something to take in consideration

Either way it's pretty damn close. We have guys who can't stay healthy for more than 2-3 games and keep getting sick. And our team is old and will likely slow down the last stretch while they have a young team with guys learning in the trench, that should technically only get better. Its absolutely not impossible that we finish lower than them.

But of course im sure you simply looked at shooting % and all and saw that theirs is worst so basically means the world to you. 

Edited by SterioDesign

They are 4 pts behind us with one game in hand. They win in regulation t'night and they are 2 pts behind that's it.

They will likely trade a few of Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell and Meszaros, few of them are still young and could be useful if they want to stay

While we should likely trade Zids, Jagr and Ryder which none of them would be useful in 1-2-3 years.

They have guys who can score in SO too thats also something to take in consideration

Either way it's pretty damn close. We have guys who can't stay healthy for more than 2-3 games and keep getting sick. And our team is old and will likely slow down the last stretch while they have a young team with guys learning in the trench, that should technically only get better. Its absolutely not impossible that we finish lower than them.

But of course im sure you simply looked at shooting % and all and saw that theirs is worst so basically means the world to you.

One Cory Schneider boo-boo and we're on the train to McDavid town. Or Eichelville

Either way it's pretty damn close. We have guys who can't stay healthy for more than 2-3 games and keep getting sick. And our team is old and will likely slow down the last stretch while they have a young team with guys learning in the trench. Its absolutely not impossible that we finish lower than them.

They are lucky to be in the position they're in, and the Devils are unlucky to be in the position they're in.  They have the worst defensive numbers possibly of all time.  Their offense is terrible too.  Meanwhile the Devils appear to be fixing their defensive issues - they're not going to be great, but they still haven't given up 30 shots in a game since the coaching change.  And the Devils have better goaltending.

They are lucky to be in the position they're in, and the Devils are unlucky to be in the position they're in.  They have the worst defensive numbers possibly of all time.  Their offense is terrible too.  Meanwhile the Devils appear to be fixing their defensive issues - they're not going to be great, but they still haven't given up 30 shots in a game since the coaching change.  And the Devils have better goaltending.

yeah thats it. You're strictly looking at stats and past results. Thats ignoring soooooo much factors. Not saying they'll finish over the Devils for sure but to guarantee one or the other is foolish.

They got to the point they are with "worst stats", so it means its luck. Whats the point of praising stats if everytime they dont tell you what you want to believe you say it's luck. 

Edited by SterioDesign

I understand the position the team is in so I won't fault fans for hoping for losses, but personally I can't bring myself to that. Part of it may be that i can't picture a bottom 5 finish this year unless we get hit really hard with injuries.

I can't do it either. I have so much time and money invested in going to games, I hate hate hate losing. I hate how the fanbase at the games gets when we're losing. I hate hearing insults hurled toward Schneider even after we lose 1-0.

I can't do it either. I have so much time and money invested in going to games, I hate hate hate losing. I hate how the fanbase at the games gets when we're losing. I hate hearing insults hurled toward Schneider even after we lose 1-0.

Yeah but sometime you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forwards... And you have to tell yourself that we'd be losing a LOT more if we keep going.

yeah thats it. You're strictly looking at stats and past results. Thats ignoring soooooo much factors. Not saying they'll finish over the Devils for sure but to guarantee one or the other is foolish. 

No, it's not.  You have absolutely no proof that younger teams get better over the season.  You say it's true because it sounds true, and maybe it is true, but you have done absolutely no research on whether it's true. 

Buffalo is a way worse team than the Devils.  They have the Devils' bad offense, plus they have the worst defense in the league, and their goaltending is average at best.  Meanwhile NJ is getting back to being a middle of the pack defense and their goaltending is better.  But again, you will see tonight - the Devils will outshoot Buffalo significantly, probably.

Buffalo would have to ride some seriously extreme luck to finish higher than us. No matter what their point total says, they are horrifically bad. Just look at Colorado from last year. They were not a team that should have made the playoffs. However, they got lucky and did, but they were then exposed in the 1st round against the Wild. You can ride luck for a while, but it always runs out and Buffalo is so bad that there's practically zero chance they could get lucky enough to finish above 28th this season. Only teams that could beat them to the bottom are Carolina and Edmonton. No one else has a chance.

Yeah but sometime you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forwards... And you have to tell yourself that we'd be losing a LOT more if we keep going.

I agree 100%, but I'm not thinking rationally when I'm taking the train, walking a few blocks, grabbing dinner beforehand, and going to 40+ games at The Rock a year, I do it all because I want to see winning hockey, even though when I'm at home or in the office, I know we're better off losing. I just hate losing when I'm in "the here and the now" of a hockey game.

It's selfish, I know lol But I can't justify season tickets any other way.

Edited by DJ Eco