Elias reaches 1000 points

Satans Hockey

It's a no brainer for me Elias is the best overall NJ Devils Forward of all time.

Let him retire with the team and then offer him a job within the organization.

Let's not waste his brain and hockey knowledge.

As pointed out in other threads previously, I am not entirely sure he will remain in the US when his playing career is over. 

Congrats to him. Just a great player all around. I'm glad daneyko didn't talk over the announcement like he seems to do so often. The guy needs to learn to let the moment breathe. Also stupid gamecenter cut off just before the post game interview.

I know it's been discussed before but I wonder what patty's HOF odds are. Honestly if he was canadian or played for the leafs I would think he's a lock but I doubt he gets in.

Edited by dmann422

Congrats to him. Just a great player all around. I'm glad daneyko didn't talk over the announcement like he seems to do so often. The guy needs to learn to let the moment breathe. Also stupid gamecenter cut off just before the post game interview.

I know it's been discussed before but I wonder what patty's HOF odds are. Honestly if he was canadian or played for the leafs I would think he's a lock but I doubt he gets in.

I think as of now Elias is a smidge below a HOFer in my book. If you were to look at his career, you'd probably wonder what happened in 01-02, 02-03, and 07-08.

Regardless it's an incredibly underrated career even among Devils fans. Overshadowed by Brodeur, Stevens, Parise, Kovalchuk, but he's an incredibly constant. Unfortunately for Patty, the 1000th point came on a secondary assist on an empty net goal when there was little hype going into the game about the milestone. I am sure many fans were heading for the exit, as the announcement came with 30 seconds left on the clock. He deserves(d) an extended standing ovation. Not blaming most of the fans, just the situation.

I think as of now Elias is a smidge below a HOFer in my book. If you were to look at his career, you'd probably wonder what happened in 01-02, 02-03, and 07-08.

Regardless it's an incredibly underrated career even among Devils fans. Overshadowed by Brodeur, Stevens, Parise, Kovalchuk, but he's an incredibly constant. Unfortunately for Patty, the 1000th point came on a secondary assist on an empty net goal when there was little hype going into the game about the milestone. I am sure many fans were heading for the exit, as the announcement came with 30 seconds left on the clock. He deserves(d) an extended standing ovation. Not blaming most of the fans, just the situation.

06-07 and 07-08, Patrik was just cursed. Shooting%s of 7.9 and 7.6...and of course, there was that insane 4-goals-in-42 GP stretch that included the 07 playoffs. I worried that his neck was going to lock itself in the "looking up at the ceiling" position forever.

It's funny...I think Patrik's career with the Devils has been like a long and tough marriage that has at times been both great for both parties, and occasionally very dark and tumultuous. Those 1000 points did not come easily, and Patrik hasn't always had ideal complementary talent to work with...the fight for 1000 points seemed just that at times: a fight, with Elias' own team sometimes the sparring partner. I think if Elias ever writes a brutally honest book, he could have some very interesting things to say about life as a New Jersey Devil...both good and bad.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

As pointed out in other threads previously, I am not entirely sure he will remain in the US when his playing career is over. 

Then let him be one of our European scouts, he can't do worse than the current group.

In all seriousness though, hopefully this helps get him into the HHOF.  Ultimate team player who sacrificed a lot of personal stats for the betterment of the team.   I have no doubt he could have been a 1,200 point player somewhere else, most likely with less team success.   He's also got some gaudy playoffs stats and a couple a clutch series winning moments to help push him over the hump that many of his peers don't have.  Both goals in game 7 of the 2000 ECF and the sweet pass for Arnott's cup winner immediately come to mind.     

It's funny...I think Patrik's career with the Devils has been like a long and tough marriage that has at times been both great for both parties, and occasionally very dark and tumultuous.  Those 1000 points did not come easily, and Patrik hasn't always had ideal complimentary talent to work with...the fight for 1000 points seemed just that at times:  a fight, with Elias' own team sometimes the sparring partner.  I think if Elias ever writes a brutally honest book, he could have some very interesting things to say about life as a New Jersey Devil...both good and bad. 

I think you're right but Elias is probably too classy to ever put out a tell all book.  

In the same way Marty covered for a lot of Lou's defensive roster mistakes from about 2006-2010, Patrik kind of covered up the fact that we were always a top 6 forward or two short since about 2006.   The Devils were basically able to put any two able bodies on a line with Patrik and have a formidable second line.      

Then let him be one of our European scouts, he can't do worse than the current group.

In all seriousness though, hopefully this helps get him into the HHOF. Ultimate team player who sacrificed a lot of personal stats for the betterment of the team. I have no doubt he could have been a 1,200 point player somewhere else, most likely with less team success. He's also got some gaudy playoffs stats and a couple a clutch series winning moments to help push him over the hump that many of his peers don't have. Both goals in game 7 of the 2000 ECF and the sweet pass for Arnott's cup winner immediately come to mind.

Speaking of clutch, you gotta mention how he's second only to Jagr on OT goals.

One of the best testaments to Elias came from listenining to Philly sports talk radio when I was I school there and hearing caller after caller talking about how much they hated him, but obviously not in the Claude Lemieux, Sean Avery type of way.

I think he would likely have been a 50 goal and/or 100 point player but for the lock out and the hepatitis. If there's one drawback about being a Devils fan all these years is that Elias never got the accolades he deserved, and I think still does. (I also think recent news of his demise have been much exaggerated).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the best testaments to Elias came from listenining to Philly sports talk radio when I was I school there and hearing caller after caller talking about how much they hated him, but obviously not in the Claude Lemieux, Sean Avery type of way.

I think he would likely have been a 50 goal and/or 100 point player but for the lock out and the hepatitis. If there's one drawback about being a Devils fan all these years is that Elias never got the accolades he deserved, and I think still does. (I also think recent news of his demise have been much exaggerated).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They should re-name Patrik Elias "Comcast" because he owns the Flyers

The Elias we've known is not the Elias I remember when he broke into the NHL. Always a smooth skater, but he was rail thin, pushed around on the ice...soft on his skates. Good playmaker but not a true difference maker. If anything it was Arnott and Sykora who carried him in the early days of the A-Line

Then something happened in the offseason between 1999 and 2000. He put on like 10-15 lbs of muscle and lost none of his speed. His shot improved and he was not afraid to use it, he backchecked like crazy. Just became this amazing complete player seemingly overnight.

Elias is a Hall of Famer. He has 1000 pts and will get to 400 goals any day now. He will improve upon those totals. 2 cups, 4 finals appearances, good playoff numbers. A career mostly spent in the dead puck era on a defensive team.

Some things may weigh him down. Lack of 90+ point season perhaps...not too many eye popping #'s in general (he did get nicked up quite a bit in his career) as of now he's probably fringe hall of famer in the eyes of non devils fans

Edited by '7'

The Elias we've known is not the Elias I remember when he broke into the NHL. Always a smooth skater, but he was rail thin, pushed around on the ice...soft on his skates. Good playmaker but not a true difference maker. If anything it was Arnott and Sykora who carried him in the early days of the A-Line

Then something happened in the offseason between 1999 and 2000. He put on like 10-15 lbs of muscle and lost none of his speed. His shot improved and he was not afraid to use it, he backchecked like crazy. Just became this amazing complete player seemingly overnight.

Elias is a Hall of Famer. He has 1000 pts and will get to 400 goals any day now. He will improve upon those totals. 2 cups, 4 finals appearances, good playoff numbers. A career mostly spent in the dead puck era on a defensive team.

Some things may weigh him down. Lack of 90+ point season perhaps...not too many eye popping #'s in general (he did get nicked up quite a bit in his career) as of now he's probably fringe hall of famer in the eyes of non devils fans

I'd like to but i don't see him making it to the HOF... even Alfredson won't make it i'd guess.

He did get 96 points (40G, 56A) in 2000-01 season which was 3rd in the NHL that year and still is the club record.

Still he is very much teetering on the line if he will make it to the hall or not.

He did get 96 points (40G, 56A) in 2000-01 season which was 3rd in the NHL that year and still is the club record.

Still he is very much teetering on the line if he will make it to the hall or not.

The job he did in 2003-04 was impressive as hell...even more so than 2000-01...81 points in 82 GP.  Among forwards, Gomez was second with 70 points (likely helped by Elias burying so many pucks), and Jeff Friesen was 3rd...with 37.  Elias scored 38 goals that season...Gio was second with 21, and every other forward had less than 20.  Niedermayer turning in a Norris Trophy season obviously helped, but it's scary to think where that team would've been without Elias that season (Brodeur was quite good that year too:  2.03 GAA and .917 save%).    

Backup goalies were lights-out that year too:  Schwab went 2-0-1 with a .971 save% and 0.64 GAA, and Clemmer went 3-1-0 with a .952 save% and a 1.01 GAA.  But that team would've struggled to make the playoffs without Elias.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The job he did in 2003-04 was impressive as hell...even more so than 2000-01...81 points in 82 GP.  Among forwards, Gomez was second with 70 points (likely helped by Elias burying so many pucks), and Jeff Friesen was 3rd...with 37.  Elias scored 38 goals that season...Gio was second with 21, and every other forward had less than 20.  Niedermayer turning in a Norris Trophy season obviously helped, but it's scary to think where that team would've been without Elias that season (Brodeur was quite good that year too).    

Yeah that 2000-01 season he had was tempered a bit by the fact they had 7 different forwards hitting 20 goals (Arnott, Sykora, Elias, Mogilny, Brylin, Madden and McKay) so him having that big season wasn't quite as striking as that 03-04 season.

I really wonder if he would have broke 100 points if he played the entire 05-06 season.  Scoring was way up all over the league and he was scoring like crazy when he came back after his bout with Hep A.  I think he could of as that EGG line was looking almost as good as the A-line was over good stretches of games that season.

I think 7 meant 'lack of 90+ point seasonS...' which is correct. Statistically he really only had one superstar season, though his most prolific stretch was probably in the second half of the 03-04 season. Him and Gomez absolutely tore sh!t up that second half; I am talking Crosby/Malkin level. It was perhaps the most fun Devils hockey I've ever watched. It absolutely sucks that the lockout came right after that. Just bad timing I guess...

Then whatever would have happened in 05-06 is a mystery and it's a bummer for sure that he didn't have a full season. However, everyone's numbers were inflated that year.

Overall Elias had very Andreychuk-ish (non-HOFer) looking seasons, with less overall points and less games played but an extra Cup, more playoff points, an exponentially better +/-, a better all around game, and having played part of the prime of his career in an extremely defensive era.

As I said earlier, it might just be that extra cup, playing for only one team, and the notoriety of playing as part of that Devils dynasty that gets him over the hump and into the HOF.

Edited by Neb00rs