Best-Case and Worst-Case Scenarios For The Rest Of 2014-15

Triumph

Realistically I don't believe that we'll end up in the bottom 2 position BUT do you think that say a team like Edmonton ended up there ... they would be willing to trade the first pick to us if we offered Severson and our 1st ... say we finished 5th or 6th.

I see two types of plausible McDavid trades, at least by message board bs standards.  The team picking one trades for the number two pick plus an excellent player (hypothetically, Buffalo trades the number one pick to Edmonton for the number 2 pick and Taylor Hall).  The other would be an enormous package of players and first round picks for the next two or three years, which is what was the return the last time a projected generational talent was traded (Lindros). 

So if the Devils end up with the fifth or sixth pick, it might look something like -- McDavid for 2015, 2016, 2017 first round picks, Severson, Larsson, Henrique.  The caveat is that I think Schneider's no trade clause doesn't kick in until the start of next season, so he would be the deal minus one or two of the components I suggested if that's the case. 

Edited by Daniel

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see two types of plausible McDavid trades, at least by message board bs standards.  The team picking one trades for the number two pick plus an excellent player (hypothetically, Buffalo trades the number one pick to Edmonton for the number 2 pick and Taylor Hall).  The other would be an enormous package of players and first round picks for the next two or three years, which is what was the return the last time a projected generational talent was traded (Lindros). 

So if the Devils end up with the fifth or sixth pick, it might look something like -- McDavid for 2015, 2016, 2017 first round picks, Severson, Larsson, Henrique.  The caveat is that I think Schneider's no trade clause doesn't kick in until the start of next season, so he would be the deal minus one or two of the components I suggested if that's the case. 

oh.... well then  :doh1:  :doh1:  :doh1:  :doh1:  :doh1:

So if the Devils end up with the fifth or sixth pick, it might look something like -- McDavid for 2015, 2016, 2017 first round picks, Severson, Larsson, Henrique. 

This is insanity. If we pick, say 6th, I think it would be something like:

McDavid

for

2015 1st

2016 1st

Henrique (top 6 young fwd signed to good deal)

Larsson OR Merrill

Better Case Scenario:  The Devils pull it together, Schneider goes on an amazing run, and this team somehow pulls back into playoff contention and gets there.  This can't happen without Schneider playing outstanding hockey and while this will hurt the Devils long-term, it also can't happen without some contributions by younger Devils - it's a long hill to climb, and everyone's going to have to pitch in to get there.  We know this team doesn't have any superstars.

Best Case Scenario:  The Devils get a little better, but not enough to credibly consider themselves in the playoff race.  They trade away the guys they have to trade away and finish right around where they are now.  Schneider ends up having a good season, Kinkaid too, and the young D finishes out the year strong; the offense just isn't there enough nights.  NJ picks between 4th and 7th overall in the draft.

I'm all for the "Best Case Scenario" - get a top pick and trade away most, if not all, pending UFAs.

As for the "Better Case Scenario," not trying to be a Debbie Downer here but in order to even have a chance over 50% (55.1%) of making the playoffs, the Devils would have to go 27-8-4 for the remaining 39 games. That'd be a legendary, all-time NHL turnaround by a team that hasn't won more than 2 games in a row since the first 3 games of the season. I know many will likely reference the second half of the 2010-2011 season under Lemaire, but even then the team went 29-17-3 and I'd strongly argue that that team had much more talent.

Anyways, you can check out the various scenarios for the Devils making the playoffs here:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

This is insanity. If we pick, say 6th, I think it would be something like:

McDavid

for

2015 1st

2016 1st

Henrique (top 6 young fwd signed to good deal)

Larsson OR Merrill

In terms of value the top pick is going to be worth a ransom bigger than that (think the Lindros trade) to anyone outside the top two. One not really worth paying for us given our limited assets.

Edited by NJDevs4978

No one's trading for the 1st overall pick. There's been some moves for 1st overall but none in a while and they weren't particularly meaningful trades (just involving later picks). Lindros deals just don't work in the NHL as it is now.

Yeah in a cap era picks and younger players are much more valuable. Plus you can't really throw $30-50 million into trades (whatever the 2015 eqivalent of $15 million in the early '90's is) the way they gave Quebec $15 million.

No one's trading for the 1st overall pick.  There's been some moves for 1st overall but none in a while and they weren't particularly meaningful trades (just involving later picks).  Lindros deals just don't work in the NHL as it is now.

The difference is that the number 2 pick is projected as borderline generational, which is unusual.  The other thing that happens is the player pulls a Lindros or Elway.  While they say McDavid doesn't have the ego, something like that isn't inconceivable if Arizona ends up with the first pick. 

"I don't care where we finish this year, or where we pick." 

I was responding to that statement, I do care where we pick, I want it as high as possible at any cost

everything else Im in full agreement, slash and gash lou!

I agree. Always want the better pick, but not by tanking