GDT: NY Islanders @ New Jersey Devils 1/9/15 7pm

eaglejelly

Last goal tonight shows why Larsson will never be a great player. He had a split second decision. Wrap it hard around to Zajac or reverse it hard up the boards. Instead he had to think. That play has to be instinctual.

Oh please he made one mistake. If we're going to condemn everyone that makes one mistake we'd have run out of players by November.

Last goal tonight shows why Larsson will never be a great player. He had a split second decision. Wrap it hard around to Zajac or reverse it hard up the boards. Instead he had to think. That play has to be instinctual.

God forbid a kid make a mistake. It happens. A lot of these kids are going to make mistakes

God forbid a kid make a mistake. It happens. A lot of these kids are going to make mistakes

It's not even so much killing him for the mistake that annoys me.  God forbid that had happened to Gionta or one of the other flogs and there'd be a hundred posts on it.  And he clearly ****ed up.  But to use that mistake to say 'see that's why he'll never be a great player' is just completely over the top.  It would be like saying whenever Cory gives up a **** goal, 'see that's why he'll never be an elite goalie'.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We are doing just enough. Buffalo and Edmonton are getting Eichel and McDavid and no one is stopping them. Teams who are playing poorly this year should be furious at the Oilers. They have sucked for 10 years, have collected a dozen top prospects and are going to steal another one this year and this time the prospect might be so good that they finally start winning. If you can't win after 10 years of top 5 picks, you should have your first round pick confiscated. 

This is so ridiculous. False analysis.

We are doing just enough. Buffalo and Edmonton are getting Eichel and McDavid and no one is stopping them. Teams who are playing poorly this year should be furious at the Oilers. They have sucked for 10 years, have collected a dozen top prospects and are going to steal another one this year and this time the prospect might be so good that they finally start winning. If you can't win after 10 years of top 5 picks, you should have your first round pick confiscated.

It's amazing how many top picks they have had over the last decade. Talk about your Mickey Mouse Organizations....

This is so ridiculous. False analysis.

I really hope they dont end up with mcdavid it would be ridiculous. Id even want the league to step in to make sure its not happening

This is a little harsh. He made one mistake to one of the top players in the league. Other than that he has been playing pretty good hockey.

Geez guys I think Larsson is a good player and has been playing well lately. I probably should've explained that first. I'm not blaming him for the loss or taking anger out even, just analyzing it from a coaching perspective.

But that is a bantam league error. I still think Larsson could be a top 4 defenseman for years to come. I've been holding out hope that he's got elite potential based on where he was drafted but that play really disappointed me.

Honestly, I'd post the same if Kinkaid makes the save and we come down and score

Josefson scratched for Sestito - Du-um-boer

Fraser and Harrold in while a young defenseman sits - Du-um-boer

Loss when leading after 2 - Du-um-boer

Oh wait...

But seriously, it's almost the same old Devils no matter who is coaching because there is no quick fix for a team that lacks so much talent across the board. The main difference is the emphasis is on giving Larsson all the time to grow and screw up. That's really great, but not something Pete had the benefit of being able to do.

Eh, its not a guarantee. Worst team is only guaranteed the 2nd overall this year. Winner of the lottery gets the 1st and its a 20% chance to win the lottery for the worst. I also think Carolina will end up worse than Buffalo. I think the 4th pick is what we'll be slotted into by the time the lottery is over, but we have a shot at #1. I don't think we have a shot at all at #2. We better be sellers at the trade deadline and that could knock us down (or up depending on how you look at it lol) further. If we're the 4th worst team going into the lottery, we have a 9.5% shot at the 1st.

I wish it was 2016 lottery rules this year.

Oh and this game was just a prototypical Devils game this season. Felt bad for Kinkaid.

Edited by ghdi

That's the first blown lead for the Devils going into the 3rd since PDB was fired.

Luckily we got it right back.

You say the same sh!t in every single GDT about holding or blowing leads. Can you give it a fvcking rest until, ya know, we play enough games to actually evaluate the effect of the coaching change instead of essentially commenting on rolls of the dice?

The team hasn't looked all that great since the coaching change. We beat up on a couple terrible teams where we got all the bounces. Now that we played two teams that have good possession numbers, we've gone 2-1-1 over the last 4. Better yet, we got absolutely obliterated by Boston and while we played a much better game against the Isles, we still lost by blowing a 3rd period lead.

We all get your point. You've done a total 180 on Deboer, which doesn't make any sense, but you've been a flip flopper since the moment you got here. We get it, now stfu about it until you have something insightful to add to the discussion.

Do you think there is much difference between the DeBoer coached team and the 3 head coached team?

No.

• Like 1

Yeah the Cory hate and Kinkaid love is pure garbage. It makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong I like Kinkaid and I think he can be a solid goalie and probably a very nice backup right now but this team would be in dire straits this year or next year without Schneider.

As much as I harp on Lou for his failures lately the best move of the last four years or so was bringing in Schneider and revitalizing and solidifying the goalie spot.

Don't get me wrong I like Kinkaid and I think he can be a solid goalie and probably a very nice backup right now but this team would be in dire straits this year or next year without Schneider.

As much as I harp on Lou for his failures lately the best move of the last four years or so was bringing in Schneider and revitalizing and solidifying the goalie spot.

It was the right move at the right time. If the Devils were staring down the barrel of a Marty swan song and there were no viable goalie in the system to replace him, that would be a very scary thought. I think Lou knows this team is bad and that's why he's behind the bench. I think PDB knew this team was bad. I think that the Devils players know they're a bad team.

Now call me an idiot for speculating, but I just don't see how all of this is Lou and PDB's fault. I really believe that the previous ownership situation seriously handcuffed this franchise and we're still feeling the effects. This team lost a massive amount of productivity when Zach, Clarky, and Kovy left. I sincerely think that Vanderbeek's deteriorating financial situation and his persistence on re-signing Kovy are huge reasons Lou didn't extend his top FA's. He made knee jerk reaction signings as he has in the past and they simply failed. But I simply do not believe Lou didn't kick tires or make offers on better free agents than the likes of Michael Ryder, Olez, Brunner, etc. I think the pool was dry and we're just simply not an attractive team to FA's. Hopefully we're sellers at the deadline and we can stock up on picks for a re-build. It's already happening I think. Lou is building from goal out. Next step, useful forwards. 

You say the same sh!t in every single GDT about holding or blowing leads. Can you give it a fvcking rest until, ya know, we play enough games to actually evaluate the effect of the coaching change instead of essentially commenting on rolls of the dice?

The team hasn't looked all that great since the coaching change.

Not to mention we are as healthy offensively as we have been all year. so we SHOULD be lookingg better> the "its deboer fault" narrative is looking rather foolish right now.

Not to mention we are as healthy offensively as we have been all year. so we SHOULD be lookingg better> the "its deboer fault" narrative is looking rather foolish right now.

Exactly. It's clear that this team's problems go far deeper than just coaching. While it certainly seemed like what Deboer was doing just wasn't working anymore and that a change was needed, new coaches aren't enough to turn this team around. Worst of all is some of decisions on the lineup are just as, if not more, questionable than when Deboer was making them. I'm really not a fan of Fraser or having Havlat in the top 6 over Cammalleri.

I'd much rather the top 9 look like this:

Henrique-Gomez Jagr

Elias-Zajac Cammalleri

Ruutu-Zubrus-Ryder/Havlat

I'd be fine if they rotated Ryder and Havlat in and out of the lineup. They have started to look like carbon copies of one another, with the only difference being one is a LH and the other RH. I just really hate Havlat being on a line with Elias and Zajac. It's clear that those two are driving that line while Havlat is just floating around, ending any offensive pressure the moment he gets the puck and inevitably coughs it up two seconds later. He's looked so bad in that role, I'd rather see Zubrus there instead of him. At least Zubrus can work well along the boards and cycle the puck without getting beat 9 out of 10 times.

I actually don't mind Sestito in for Josefson. I do mind Josefson not in for one of Havlat, Zubrus or Ryder. Those three are just awful. Zubrus with his penalties last night were so stupid and lazy. He just can't keep up.

Sestito is ok as a fill in on the 4th line, but he's fairly useless otherwise. I'd much rather see Josefson or Zubrus in his place on the 4th line. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for Gionta to get back so we can run a 4th line of Josefson-Gionta-Tootoo/Bernier. I have to say that Tootoo has actually looked semi competent lately. Not good, but he's playing better than he has all season imo. Bernier is a far better option there. With him on that line with Gionta and Josefson, we have a quality 4th line.

I'm personally thinking more of whether we can give Kinkaid enough starts to create a buzz and make him a valuable trade chip. We already have a #1 goalie locked up long term and as much as you'd like to have a stud goalie as a backup, that's not going to happen for long, he'd be gone the first crack he had at free agency.

Maybe moving Kinkaid is the way we should be thinking.

I'm personally thinking more of whether we can give Kinkaid enough starts to create a buzz and make him a valuable trade chip. We already have a #1 goalie locked up long term and as much as you'd like to have a stud goalie as a backup, that's not going to happen for long, he'd be gone the first crack he had at free agency.

Maybe moving Kinkaid is the way we should be thinking.

Tri brought up the fact a while back Kinkaid is probably going to be UFA after this year, there's no way he'll be able to have any trade value based on 8-10 starts before the deadline as a pending UFA.