Dowd accused of assault while coaching

grcenter47

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/former-nj-devil-player-and-high-school-coach-jim-dowd-accused-of-assault-of-a-teenager-1.9799854

RED BANK - A former New Jersey Devil and current high school ice hockey coach is accused of assaulting a high school player.

Jim Dowd is the coach of the Manasquan/Point Pleasant Beach varsity hockey team. News 12 New Jersey has been told he won't be coaching tonight's game against Rumson/Fair Haven, after a parent claimed he kicked a 16-year-old player in the back. That parent filed simple assault charges against Dowd.

According to reports, the alleged incident happened at last Wednesday's game at the Jersey Shore Arena, against Red Bank Regional. Wall Township police confirmed they are investigating a complaint made following the game.

READ MORE: New Jersey Top Stories

Alex Shnayderman, the owner of Jersey Shore Arena, was shocked by the ordeal. He says Dowd is a great coach and a positive role model.

"I have a 10- and a 6-year-old and a small 1-year-old. I would trust him with my kids, no problem with that," Shnayderman says.

Dowd is scheduled to appear at the Wall Township Court Tuesday morning to face the simple assault complaint.

Edited by grcenter47

Yeah, going to need a few more facts and details on this one.  I'm certainly not the type to turn a blind eye to famous athlete's misdeeds, or in this case semi-famous athlete but the way parents are today it could just as easily have been that Johnny got benched and missed a shift or two and Daddy didn't like it.   

Can't. Render an opinion without more facts. Wait, I can:

1) could easily be a complaint by a disgruntled parent. Could as easily be the truth.

2) Having known a lot of the guys on my high school's varsity team, I can totally envision a coach wanting to kick some of the kids. But you can't do it, of course.

In addition to the above comments, I can easily imagine this being "true" but also badly twisted. Then again, as someone who deals with that age group I think most can use a kick in the arse....

In addition to the above comments, I can easily imagine this being "true" but also badly twisted. Then again, as someone who deals with that age group I think most can use a kick in the arse....

I was gonna say the same thing. High school kids from Jersey? Even if it's true I'll still hold judgement. Being a former high school hockey player in Jersey I know what kind of people we are/were.

I'm approaching this with a little of my usual skepticism when I see headlines like this. My mom was a teacher and so much as raising your voice at a kid could lead to a parental meeting and threats of lawsuits. 

Can't imagine the scenario where he'd be doing this to a kid while alone; maybe a training drill and some harsh words/actions from a coach on a bad day, and if there were witnesses (which I'd assume there were, if during a training drill), should be an open/shut case, whichever the verdict is.

But yeah, I hope this is exaggerated and/or untrue.

I'm approaching this with a little of my usual skepticism when I see headlines like this. My mom was a teacher and so much as raising your voice at a kid could lead to a parental meeting and threats of lawsuits. 

Can't imagine the scenario where he'd be doing this to a kid while alone; maybe a training drill and some harsh words/actions from a coach on a bad day, and if there were witnesses (which I'd assume there were, if during a training drill), should be an open/shut case, whichever the verdict is.

But yeah, I hope this is exaggerated and/or untrue.

This incident if true took place at a hockey game in an arena against another high school.

I hope it isn't true.

I wonder if Dowd had one foot resting on the bench and moved his toes forwards to tell the kid to pay attention or he was next on the ice.  This could be easily misconstrued as an assault.  In this day and age if a kid doesn't like a look they are given from almost anyone qualifies in certain parent's eye as assault.  I remember my sister getting suspended and had to go in front of board members because she tapped a kid on the shoulder in a positive manner and then being accused of sexual assault.  When the case was heard she was exonerated because the kid admitted he just made it up since he didn't like her.  She had a rough time after that and kept her distance from all the kids.  btw she worked in the library/media area of that grammar school.

I wonder if Dowd had one foot resting on the bench and moved his toes forwards to tell the kid to pay attention or he was next on the ice.  This could be easily misconstrued as an assault.  In this day and age if a kid doesn't like a look they are given from almost anyone qualifies in certain parent's eye as assault.  I remember my sister getting suspended and had to go in front of board members because she tapped a kid on the shoulder in a positive manner and then being accused of sexual assault.  When the case was heard she was exonerated because the kid admitted he just made it up since he didn't like her.  She had a rough time after that and kept her distance from all the kids.  btw she worked in the library/media area of that grammar school.

Yeah, in my mind that accusation might very well be exaggerated. Sounds like he might have shoved the kid on the back with his foot while on the bench. I could see a parent who has it out for him using this to file an assault claim.

None of us were there so in the absence of a video or hearing all of the evidence in Court, none of us will ever know.

People (including me) are throwing out theories about how he may or may not have done it, but in the end, they are all just theories.

I agree with Marty that this kind of post, which is devoid of facts and full of nothing but speculation, doesn't need to be pinned. But that's up to the Mods. Keep up the good work boys.

To offer a little insight, I also coach hockey in the Shore Conference. Growing up at Jersey Shore Arena (aka gold coast arena aka wall sports arena), the benches are about four feet wide, the players sit and the coaches stand behind them on the same plain. From my playing days up until now, it has been common for coaches to tap the back of the players to let them know they are up next. Apparently, Dowd is being accused of giving more than just a tap.

A lot of people seem to believe this was a round house kick to the back, but I don't think that's accurate.

As someone who also coaches NJ HS hockey, I agree 100% with the assessment of the bench; there is very little room to maneuver there. Once players sit down on the bench, there is almost no space to really kick someone beyond a tap. It's hard enough not to fall over if you move at all.

My freshman year, our coach threw a garbage can at some kid and threw another against the wall. Welcome to Shore Conference hockey. Also, now Manasquan/Point Beach are a joint team? It used to be the two point schools together.

theres a bunch of joint HS teams now..especially up north in the small districts.  last year i think new milford/bergenfield/demarest had 3 schools mixed into one club lol