World Cup of Hockey

MadDog2020

This really kills the spirit of international competition. I think hockey needs to expand international play through the iihf, but unfortunately unlike soccer, in which player's national groups are a second team they play for their entire career, there is only one major dominant league in hockey. The NHL makes the rules.

Honestly have no interest whatsoever as it sounds like it's going to be yet another gimmick a la the winter classic and all star game.

People say "we need a best on best tournament!"- we get that already with the NHL. I love Olympic hockey because it brings a sense of national pride. Even the IIHF tourneys are there to help grow the game around the works. But this- this is just a contrivance with no discernible purpose.

It's like when I went to college and we had a mere 2000 students but like 50 different freaking acapella groups. At some point it gets redundant and frivolous with no justification.

Honestly have no interest whatsoever as it sounds like it's going to be yet another gimmick a la the winter classic and all star game.

People say "we need a best on best tournament!"- we get that already with the NHL. I love Olympic hockey because it brings a sense of national pride. Even the IIHF tourneys are there to help grow the game around the works. But this- this is just a contrivance with no discernible purpose.

It's like when I went to college and we had a mere 2000 students but like 50 different freaking acapella groups. At some point it gets redundant and frivolous with no justification.

The purpose may be so that the NHL can pull out of the Olympics

The Olympics are being held in South Korea in 2018 and god knows where in 2022 - either Beijing or Kazakhstan.  North Americans will not be able to see live Olympic hockey at a reasonable hour for 10 years at least, and with the Olympics becoming exposed as a money grab that only an idiotic country would sign up for, who knows when it will be in Western Europe or North America again.

Edited by Triumph

The Olympics are being held in South Korea in 2018 and god knows where in 2022 - either Beijing or Kazakhstan.  North Americans will not be able to see live Olympic hockey at a reasonable hour for 10 years at least, and with the Olympics becoming exposed as a money grab that only an idiotic country would sign up for, who knows when it will be in Western Europe or North America again.

I won't get into the ethics or merits of the Olympics because we all know they have their own issues, I'm only speaking from my personal perspective in terms of meaning- an olympic medal holds more weight than this type of event ever could. Honestly I'd be more interested in amateur olympic competition than this. Sure the nhl could cut off the Olympics and build this up as much as possible and maybe in a decade or two it could gain some traction outside of Canada, but it's going to have quite a bit of growing pains.

Take the World Baseball Classic- its the only thing like this and it was the result of the Olympics specifically dropping baseball. I'm the biggest baseball fan there is and I haven't watched a single WBC game. On top of that the WBC is once every 4 years and has more than 3 or 4 countries that actually have a chance of wining the damn thing. I just don't see the audience for this type of event outside of canada.

I'm excited. I think the gimmick's gonna be fun. Wouldn't object to them doing qualifying for 2020, but for a rush job, I think it'll be a good tournament.

Didn't go through the entire thread, but it would have been so much better with just the power 6.  Have 4 round-robin games in groups of 3, and the bottom two are eliminated. 

To speak to what Tri said on the first page, I could care less that Anze Kopitar doesn't get to play in a tournament.  Especially if it means throwing together a hodge-podge group of Europeans & rounding the field out with a young stars team.  So freaking stupid.

Didn't go through the entire thread, but it would have been so much better with just the power 6.  Have 4 round-robin games in groups of 3, and the bottom two are eliminated. 

To speak to what Tri said on the first page, I could care less that Anze Kopitar doesn't get to play in a tournament.  Especially if it means throwing together a hodge-podge group of Europeans & rounding the field out with a young stars team.  So freaking stupid.

It's not just Kopitar.  It's Marian Hossa, Zdeno Chara, Tomas Tatar, Nino Niederreiter, Mark Streit, Mats Zuccarello, and the players I can't think of who are from other countries.  I mean, this team should be able to compete with Finland and the Czech Republic.

I won't get into the ethics or merits of the Olympics because we all know they have their own issues, I'm only speaking from my personal perspective in terms of meaning- an olympic medal holds more weight than this type of event ever could. Honestly I'd be more interested in amateur olympic competition than this. Sure the nhl could cut off the Olympics and build this up as much as possible and maybe in a decade or two it could gain some traction outside of Canada, but it's going to have quite a bit of growing pains.

Take the World Baseball Classic- its the only thing like this and it was the result of the Olympics specifically dropping baseball. I'm the biggest baseball fan there is and I haven't watched a single WBC game. On top of that the WBC is once every 4 years and has more than 3 or 4 countries that actually have a chance of wining the damn thing. I just don't see the audience for this type of event outside of canada.

The WBC is totally different - baseball has zero history of international competition.  Olympic baseball was barely a thing.  You missed my biggest point which is that North Americans simply aren't going to get a chance to see live international men's hockey on TV for a decade at least and probably longer - this tournament is to fill that void.

I always thought, that hockey is a team sport. nhl came with euro team? u23 team?? haha. who is going to play for them(and rooting for them?) :D

i know that streit and hossa hate the idea. i read that chara too. i am 100% sure that players like gaborik, visnovsky, sekera (for slovaks) will not go.

i know only halak is exception.(i dont know what thinks tatar). i don t even think, that this team will have enough players from nhl :DD (one of the reasons why they replaced switzerland and slovakia :D). idea for milion!. this clown cup will be fiasco.(sorry for my english, it is my 4th language).

The WBC is totally different - baseball has zero history of international competition. Olympic baseball was barely a thing. You missed my biggest point which is that North Americans simply aren't going to get a chance to see live international men's hockey on TV for a decade at least and probably longer - this tournament is to fill that void.

I understand why the NHL is doing it, all im saying is personally I'm not interested. Edited by dmann422

I think the U-23 Team is silly.  For spite, I'll just refer to 'Team Canada' as 'Canada O-24'.

I guess I'm the exception because I watch as many big games as I can. I even watch the small games too for countries I'm interested in.

I remember waking up at 4:00 am to watch the Nagano Games live....Nowadays I just use my DVR.   I just watched the Australian Open on Sunday morning eating breakfast...since its easy to not learn the results first.  Unfortunately it's even easier to 'avoid' hearing about hockey scores, even SC Final results, and especially games that are in tournaments...

It's hockey and we'll watch. It will be an exciting tournament. I especially love the Under 23 roster idea. 

I really hope the U-23 team wins just to show the hockey world how ridiculous it will be.

"Hey so who won the World Cup this year?"

"Oh Canada won, with some US players in there, a couple of Czech players, some Swedish players, etc...."

*sigh*.... Thorne, Clement and Melrose??? OH BOY.....this went from must-watch to "now I gotta go to the bar and see it so I can put the damn thing on mute and not listen to these idiots make my ears bleed" :doh1:

I'd rather have the damn thing on MTV :P