Mike Richards on Waivers

Mitico12

Dean Lombardi needs a little help with his metaphors LOL

" "That's the thing we've got to work through," Lombardi said. "Mike, in his career, he's shown he can be a .330 hitter and get you 80 RBIs and be an All-Star player. So maybe at this stage, maybe it's not there. But I still think he's capable of being a .280 hitter and do a lot of those things that only he can do. Basically, right now he's batting .200. But I don't see any reason why he can't get back to that. He's got to do what he's got to do." "

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750433&navid=nhl:topheads

What happened to this guy?  Was he in trouble or something?  He's not even 30 yet.

He wasn't great with the Kings, but he was awesome with the Flyers and had 60+ points 3 or 4 years.

Lost his passion for the game I guess!  He needs another challenge. Just not in NJ

What happened to this guy?  Was he in trouble or something?  He's not even 30 yet.

He wasn't great with the Kings, but he was awesome with the Flyers and had 60+ points 3 or 4 years.

I think Tri posted something on this a while back...I'm not sure if Richards is a great example, but Tri basically noted that guys who start playing in the NHL for good at a young age (Richards was 20) tend to burn out earlier too.  Same thing happened to Jeff Friesen...he was pretty much toast before he was 30. 

Guys who play such a physical style and so many minutes from a really young age do tend to regress hard and usually in their early 30s. Dustin Brown is going to be another example. His numbers are arguably worse than Richards considering they give home prime situations since he's the Captain. He's signed for what another 7 years?

Just saying you trade for Clowe when (if) hes healthy and if he gets hurt again you LTIR him instead of being stuck with Richards. Its unlikely but possible.

Very unlikely but I like the way you think, that might not be a bad idea.

Of course, we could just LTIR him and get the cap space, which I'd rather have than Richards.