Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Well I hope LL does the smart thing and moves everythign he can within reason, INHO this list includes:

Jagr, Zid, Havat, Ryder, Bernier, Zubrus, Rutuu , Tootoo and I'm good with Zajac as well for the right price.

My trust in LL really will hinge on what he does with this team over the next 9 months, he has a cahnce to make a splash with trades and really make this team younger...

Zajac's in the "bad contract" category now.  Devils will probably have to take a bad one back to move him.  I think we just have to hope Lou finds someone Travis can click with. 

As for the rest...some of those guys they're going to be stuck with a little longer.  Not sure who wants Zubrus or Ruutu, due to what they have coming to them.  Several of the Devils' 2015 UFAs could make for nice rentals, even the ones that aren't all that appealing from an on-ice standpoint...Havlat's a great "What the hell, here's a 6th or 7th rounder?" type.  Ditto Ryder (Devils may have to pick up a little of his contract at this point).  Jagr's got some value, as does Zids.  

As far as Lou goes...by the end of 2016, this team is going to be completely different.  Exactly seven players are signed for the 2016-2017 season, and one of them (Clowe) may never play another NHL game again.  Names we've been watching for a long time (Elias, Zubrus, etc) will likely be gone.  He's going to have a hell of a lot of flexibility coming in the next two offseasons, that's for damned sure.    

Zajac's in the "bad contract" category now.  Devils will probably have to take a bad one back to move him.  I think we just have to hope Lou finds someone Travis can click with. 

As for the rest...some of those guys they're going to be stuck with a little longer.  Not sure who wants Zubrus or Ruutu, due to what they have coming to them.  Several of the Devils' 2015 UFAs could make for nice rentals, even the ones that aren't all that appealing from an on-ice standpoint...Havlat's a great "What the hell, here's a 6th or 7th rounder?" type.  Ditto Ryder (Devils may have to pick up a little of his contract at this point).  Jagr's got some value, as does Zids.  

As far as Lou goes...by the end of 2016, this team is going to be completely different.  Exactly seven players are signed for the 2016-2017 season, and one of them (Clowe) may never play another NHL game again.  Names we've been watching for a long time (Elias, Zubrus, etc) will likely be gone.  He's going to have a hell of a lot of flexibility coming in the next two offseasons, that's for damned sure.    

You've mentioned a lot about flexibility, but what good is flexibility when you have nothing to trade, little in the farm system, and pretty much no one makes it to UFA. Lou had some flexibility when he signed Brunner, Ryder, Clowe, Jagr, Camm. Most teams are going to have some cap space, but little to use it on.

That's why the future is so bleak for the Devils up front. How do you get better? This is a difficult situation, and why grabbing a really great player in the 1st round is a nice start, but even figuring out who replaces Jagr or Elias in the next year or two is going to be almost impossible to do.

Wasn't trying to assign a "positive" or "negative" connotation to flexibility in this case.  Just saying that Lou is going to have as much of it as he's probably ever had.  I can't say if that's good or bad right now.  It's definitely an uncertain time...like I said, there's faces that have been here forever who simply will be gone very soon.  One thing we had for a long long time was continuity.  Before much longer, barring a deal, this is going to be a team of Schneider, Henrique, Greene, Zajac, Cammalleri...and a bunch of other guys.  Obviously some of the young defenseman and some guys we don't even know will be in the picture beyond that group, but who?  Lou might very well have more flexibility than he ever really wanted.  

Zajac's contract is utterly horrible.  Even worse than a guy who was just put of waivers, and no one would touch him:

Zajac: 

29 years old

$5.75 cap hit, owed $37.5 million in salary through 2020-21

16 points in 43 games this year

Mike Richards:

29 years old

$5.75 cap hit, owed $23 million in salary through 2019-20

15 points in 47 games this year

Zajac's contract is utterly horrible. Even worse than a guy who was just put of waivers, and no one would touch him:

Zajac:

29 years old

$5.75 cap hit, owed $37.5 million in salary through 2020-21

16 points in 43 games this year

Mike Richards:

29 years old

$5.75 cap hit, owed $23 million in salary through 2019-20

15 points in 47 games this year

I agree his contract isnt the best but Zajac is not in Mike Richards territory because of his defensive play. He has more value.

There's a big difference between Zajac and Richards. Zajac plays a lot more, takes on tougher competition, and drives play unlike Richards. Zajac also plays a lot more on special teams than Richards did. His contract is one of the last things I'm worried about.

Well at the same time if he plays more and with better teammates he should produce more. They have identical stats and Richards was barely playing and playing with sh!t players

Who cares about Zajac's contract. Its not like his contract is preventing mangement from spending elsewhere. I understand frustration with Zajac's production but his contract is mute at the moment. Its his play not his contract. Unless of course some feel his big contract has made him play poorly because he got to comfortable.

Well I hope LL does the smart thing and moves everythign he can within reason, INHO this list includes:

Jagr, Zid, Havat, Ryder, Bernier, Zubrus, Rutuu , Tootoo and I'm good with Zajac as well for the right price.

My trust in LL really will hinge on what he does with this team over the next 9 months, he has a cahnce to make a splash with trades and really make this team younger...

I highly doubt LL makes any large moves just doesnt seem to be his thing.. to be completely honest i bet he thinks he has a chance to break into the post season now with the little bit of better play the team has been having. I think we all know that he is not moving zajac anywhere he is going to end up being a franchise player for us.. or atleast be finishing out that long contract here

I'm hoping Jagr and Zidlicky get moved. I'd like to see Ryder and Havlat on their way out as well but I'm not even sure if another NHL team would really want them. A swap of Gelinas for a young forward in a similar position is interesting but I'm not sure if that trade is out there to be had.

I wonder if Gelinas could be part of a trade with Jagr that results in either a higher or an extra pick.

In related news, Evander Kane was a healthy scratch for the second straight game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jagr should be moved. I thought they would do it last year. I think he played better than anticipated and for that reason he was kept.

That, and it's not like the Devils had a ton of kids with offensive skills ready to come up.  That's why you re-sign a guy like Jagr, overpay an aging Elias for three years, sign a Havlat to a what-the-hell low-cost one-year deal, etc.  Under the circumstances, I fully understood why Lou made those deals, so I'm not bashing them at all.   

Jagr should be moved. I thought they would do it last year. I think he played better than anticipated and for that reason he was kept.

I have a really good friend who sells corporate tickets with the Lightning and is a huge fan of them. Not saying its definitely gonna happen, but supposedly that's the thought.

As much as I'd hate to lose them, particularly Zids, I kinda agree it would be ideal for both teams. The Lightning definitely have a lot of young talent they could give up, I'm just not sure what it would be and I wouldn't want a draft pick because they're gonna pick high.

I wonder if Gelinas could be part of a trade with Jagr that results in either a higher or an extra pick.

In related news, Evander Kane was a healthy scratch for the second straight game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's been a healthy scrach a few times. I see a red flag with this guy for some reason.  

imo, you only move jagr or zid if you get back a first , a low second doesnt thrill me, unless you're really in love with a sleeper. Id send additional assets (package) to get that extra first. zid is playing very well and these past two games have shown jagr has game left

dont move them for a 2 or 3 its not worth it

Edited by EdgeControl

imo, you only move jagr or zid if you get back a first , a low second doesnt thrill me, unless you're really in love with a sleeper. Id send additional assets (package) to get that extra first. zid is playing very well and these past two games have shown jagr has game left

On paper yeah. But I don't know, our recent track record with 2nd-3rd rounders is better than with 1sts it seems. Lou may not be good at targeting the best players in the top 30 picks, but he still knows how to spot a diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

You wouldn't want a potential Henrique, Severson, Merrill, Santini level player for a couple months without Jagr or Zidlicky? I'm of the mindset, I'll take anything at this point.

Edited by DJ Eco

While I would obviously prefer higher picks, if late 2nds and 3rds are all the Devils can get for those two, it's still two moves the team needs to make.  We absolutely need to add 5 or 6 top 100 type guys to the system this year and keeping Jagr and Zidlicky just keeps us on this hamster wheel of patching holes with past their prime vets.      

On paper yeah. But I don't know, our recent track record with 2nd-3rd rounders is better than with 1sts it seems. Lou may not be good at targeting the best players in the top 30 picks, but he still knows how to spot a diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

You wouldn't want a potential Henrique, Severson, Merrill, Santini level player for a couple months without Jagr or Zidlicky? I'm of the mindset, I'll take anything at this point.

I dont want a Connor Chatham, josh jacobs, kujawinski, matteau, johnson, coleman. wedgewood, cormier, burlon, urbom, gelanis, JJ, etc type player either.

but you both make decent points, I might take the 2nd round pick because of the strength of this draft

Edited by EdgeControl