Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

I hope it was a shot at Oates. Oates fvcking blows as a coach.

I don't know how bad he is overall, but it absolutely mystifies me that he's in charge of the Power Play again. It was awful when he was here before, and it got better when he left. As soon as they announced he was back, I said to my wife that I really hope they don't give him the reigns to the power play again. But they did, and now it sux again. Go figure....

I don't know how bad he is overall, but it absolutely mystifies me that he's in charge of the Power Play again. It was awful when he was here before, and it got better when he left. As soon as they announced he was back, I said to my wife that I really hope they don't give him the reigns to the power play again. But they did, and now it sux again. Go figure....

Look at what Barry Trotz (a real coach) is doing with essentially the same roster Oates had. Then look at our power play. This should tell you all you need to know about that fvcking hack.

So im curious and it's a serious question

Why is it a fireable offense suddenly to some of you to not trade a 43 year old and missing the playoffs when we are 6-8 pts away from a playoffs spot

But it was completely fine and understandable not trading a 27 years old Clarkson in his prime who just scored 30 and who was on pace for another 30 through a full season, basically at the peak of his top value in his career when we were pretty much 6-8 points away at that time too... and a guy who wanted way too much money... and then miss the playoffs.... 

It's so great that we can look this stuff up:

2012-13 Trade Deadline was April 3, 2013

Here's a link to the standings on April 2 after that day's games were completed:

http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php

Devils weren't 6-8 points out at that time, as you can see.  If you look at the sched, they had gone 4-3-4 leading up to deadline, but were losing a lot of close games (including three shootouts and an OT loss), so Lou was probably hoping they'd get it turned around and start finding ways to win those; unfortunately, the Devils completely stopped scoring and went 0-5-1 just after the deadline to kill their playoff hopes.  Maybe Lou should've tried to find someone a little better than Steve Sullivan to help, and maybe he overestimated his goaltenders that year, but promoting falsehoods like "the Devils were pretty much 6-8 points out" to carry on a tired narrative is pretty lame.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So im curious and it's a serious question

Why is it a fireable offense suddenly to some of you to not trade a 43 year old and missing the playoffs when we are 6-8 pts away from a playoffs spot

But it was completely fine and understandable not trading a 27 years old Clarkson in his prime who just scored 30 and who was on pace for another 30 through a full season, basically at the peak of his top value in his career when we were pretty much 6-8 points away at that time too... and a guy who wanted way too much money... and then miss the playoffs.... 

Because, dipsh!t, the Devils were in 7th place in the conference on the trade deadline.  They weren't 8 points out.  Question answered - last time I talk to you on this board.  Someone please hold me to this.

• Like 3

lol I missed that 'pretty much' 6-8 points out skimming his post or I wouldn't have even bothered. Yeah there's no difference between 8 points out and actually being in a spot at the deadline, give me a frigging break

Not to mention that the Devils were hopeful that they could stay in the race until Kovy came back from injury...I'm guessing that Lou was also hoping that Kovy's return (in theory, anyway) would almost be like a post-deadline pickup that could help.  There were a lot of reasons not to bail on that season (they had just gone to a friggin' Cup final the year before)...but - get this SD - sometimes things just don't fvcking work out.   

Hilarious, so now 1000 posts of SD bashing Lou on not trading players at the deadline and in every single situation, the Devils were in the playoffs come deadline. Also, ever notice how he never talks about trading Elias multiple times or Brodeur, or anyone else that eventually signed? Because they didn't leave and Lou got them signed. But if you are going to make these arguments, at least be consistent and ask why didn't Lou trade Elias in 2006 at the deadline or 2013 at the deadline with Clarkson. Ask why didn't Lou trade Brodeur at the 2012 deadline in addition to Parise.

It's so great that we can look this stuff up:

2012-13 Trade Deadline was April 3, 2013

Here's a link to the standings on April 2 after that day's games were completed:

http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php

Devils weren't 6-8 points out at that time, as you can see.  If you look at the sched, they had gone 4-3-4 leading up to deadline, but were losing a lot of close games (including three shootouts and an OT loss), so Lou was probably hoping they'd get it turned around and start finding ways to win those; unfortunately, the Devils completely stopped scoring and went 0-5-1 just after the deadline to kill their playoff hopes.  Maybe Lou should've tried to find someone a little better than Steve Sullivan to help, and maybe he overestimated his goaltenders that year, but promoting falsehoods like "the Devils were pretty much 6-8 points out" to carry on a tired narrative is pretty lame.

That is a fvcking amazing website. :o  Thank you for sharing that.

sure sounds like we're not getting offers for Jags. and no way is he going to a PO team and getting 17+ mins. 12 mins here may be the most he'll get anywhere. at least he stopped taking 1 penaty per night (only 1 in feb). tell your agent to get on the phone and work for a living!

I think the Devils will probably get offers.  But it definitely has a "buy low" feel now.  If all they get is a 4th rounder for him, I won't be terribly shocked.

That is a fvcking amazing website. :o  Thank you for sharing that.

Thanks, knew something like this existed, just took me a while to find it again.

I think the Devils will probably get offers.  But it definitely has a "buy low" feel now.  If all they get is a 4th rounder for him, I won't be terribly shocked.

Thanks, knew something like this existed, just took me a while to find it again.

After playing around with our franchise season by season records for a few minutes going back to KC/COL and eventually NJ, I just had to go next to this:

Games involving New Jersey and NY Rangers beginning with the 1995 season ending with the 2002-03 season in regular season games:

Primary team New Jersey: 25-5-14-1 in these games.  

I could've sworn it was something even more absurd like 33-4-2, but even still, what an awesome number and stretch of dominance we had over them :D 

Because, dipsh!t, the Devils were in 7th place in the conference on the trade deadline.  They weren't 8 points out.  Question answered - last time I talk to you on this board.  Someone please hold me to this.

Actually they were tied for 8th place with the Islanders. Winnipeg was statistically in 9th place but they were tops in their division. If you want to look further at it I think the Devils were technically in 9th place because they held none of the tie breakers with the Islanders.

Actually they were tied for 8th place with the Islanders. Winnipeg was statistically in 9th place but they were tops in their division. If you want to look further at it I think the Devils were technically in 9th place because they held none of the tie breakers with the Islanders.

Splitting hairs. Bottom line is they weren't 8 points out with 75 teams in front of them.

I think those quotes from Jagr are supporting the rumours about him asking a trade after Deboer got fired but Lou didnt want to trade him cause they were "in the race". There's no way to know for sure but it's certainly fitting with everything we're seeing

Yup, I thought the exact same thing.

Tri is right...Devils were in 7th at the time.  It is splitting hairs, but the Devils were ahead of the Islanders because they had a game in hand at the time. 

Winnipeg should be listed as third (I corrected it). 

EASTERN CONFERENCE * - division leader

W-L-OT    Pts

*Pittsburgh    28-9-0      56

*Montreal      23-7-5      51 

*Winnipeg     18-18-2    38

Boston          23-8-4      50

Toronto         20-12-4    44

Ottawa          19-11-6    44

New Jersey   15-12-9    39

NY Islanders 18-16-3    39  

NY Rangers  17-15-3    37

Washington  17-17-2     36 

Carolina        16-17-2     34 

Buffalo          14-17-6     34

Philadelphia  15-17-3     33 

Tampa Bay   15-18-2     32

Florida           12-19-6     30

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

sorry guys but im still failing to see and understand why a team being 7-8-9th or wtv can't talk contract and re-sign an upcoming UFA before the trade deadline? Oh right, it's because Lou has that rule that he's simply not doing it... yeah try to defend that now, Even Elias said he didnt like it.

You alllll went around it focusing on the position we were which was not really the point lol 

You guys got to be in denial about Lou's stubbornness... all his stupid "rules", refusing to talk during the season, signing old vets, not giving up the 29th pick, bringing back old devils, terrible roster and coach management etc etc.... This alllllllllllll goes hand in hand following the same mentality and we all know it's a thing.

So i really don't see why you guys keep making excuses for him and looking away about stuff that obviously fits the bill in term of decisions he's making out of stubbornness. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Tri is right...Devils were in 7th at the time.  It is splitting hairs, but the Devils were ahead of the Islanders because they had a game in hand at the time. 

Winnipeg should be listed as third (I corrected it). 

EASTERN CONFERENCE * - division leader

W-L-OT    Pts

*Pittsburgh    28-9-0      56

*Montreal      23-7-5      51 

*Winnipeg     18-18-2    38

Boston          23-8-4      50

Toronto         20-12-4    44

Ottawa          19-11-6    44

New Jersey   15-12-9    39

NY Islanders 18-16-3    39  

NY Rangers  17-15-3    37

Washington  17-17-2     36 

Carolina        16-17-2     34 

Buffalo          14-17-6     34

Philadelphia  15-17-3     33 

Tampa Bay   15-18-2     32

Florida           12-19-6     30

Ah, you're right. Always forget about the games played.

I think those quotes from Jagr are supporting the rumours about him asking a trade after Deboer got fired but Lou didnt want to trade him cause they were "in the race". There's no way to know for sure but it's certainly fitting with everything we're seeing

I think there's some bad blood between Oates and Jagr.

HA! STUBBORNNESS. YOU ARE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT STUBBORNNESS

Well yeah im really stubborn too obviously lol but it's harmless haha at worst im just annoying a few kool aid drinkers here, i can be put on ignore and BAM it's gone.

Lou is running this organization to the ground with his stubbornness and that... you guys can't escape it, you have to watch this sh!t show. It's all on Lou and Conte, no one else. So if you enjoy it well good for you.

Edited by SterioDesign

I think there's some bad blood between Oates and Jagr.

Yup it's true. Major beef from 01-02 season. Oates was traded at the deadline to Philly even though the Capitals were still in the playoff race. Shame that whatever it is, Adam as new coach couldn't squash it or both couldn't shake hands and move on. 

But this is how 2002 played out. Oates and Wilson were very close and Jagr and Wilson didn't see eye to eye. Oates traded and Wilson fired at the end of the year. Guess management did everything to keep Jagr happy.