Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

My hopes that Lou was not blind to reality were strengthened with the Jagr deal.  Now though, with what the Flyers got for Timonen and Coburn, and now this, I'm reconsidering.  I would not be shocked if one of Tyler Bozak or Dion Phaneuf are on the Devils by the end of the day.  But whatever the case, if the Devils want a top six forward they have nothing to give other than first round picks. 

Depends on the contact coming back.  Who right now is still relatively productive but not on a great deal?  There may be a team with a less-than-appealing long-term contract on their books would might consider getting it off their payroll a victory (it will still cost the Devils, but maybe not as much as we think).  Devils look like they're able to take on a deal like that, with inexpensive defensemen and a lot of money coming off the books.  Not saying Phil Kessel specifically, but maybe someone in a similar boat. 

Lou better get busy, trading Jage is  NOT ENOUGH!

He better trade 2 of the following players by the end of the day!

Zid,

Havlat

Ryder

Zids has to waive the NTC...that one might be out of Lou's hands.

Keep in mind Lou will practically have to give Havlat and Ryder away.  That's fine with me...just don't be surprised at the non-consequential returns.  Devils may have to pick up some of the money in all three cases. 

I spend too much time lurking 'round here, but I have an analogy for the Devil's deadline day situation. They are trying to sell their old socks.

Imagine if you had a pile of old socks sitting in your bedroom taking up space. They have holes in them, the heels are worn out. Just gross. But you decide throwing them out is a waste, so you put them on E-bay for the hopes of something back. A couple of them are nice enough and they get taken for a couple of bucks, but the rest of them sit there until the post expires.

Outside of Jags (who we got a fair price for) and Zids, I don't think anybody is going to buy our old socks. Zids will maybe get a fourth, but that's just trading something worn out for the chance at getting a decent Payless pair.

Naturally, something is better than nothing but as for the rest of the pile, I'm afraid nobody wants it.

I have the same Kessell feeling I had for Kovy back in the day. 

One could argue the Leafs are selling low to reset, but how many teams will take on Kessel's contract that'll give up a first rounder. I don't see the Devils giving up a first rounder this year, but what about next years? 1st '16, Boucher/Matteau and Gelinas for Kessell - does that get it done?

Hes right. No way would it make sense to trade cory. I would do merril, boucher and a second for JVR though

Tell your dad to pull the trigger on that one!

The concept that we don't need a LW is laughable. We need every offensive position, with the possible exception of whatever you call Cammaleri these days.

Edited by mfitz804

Tri, top 6 forwards are at a premium. If they have chance to get one........especially a RW, who's got proven scoring ability at this level, he is only 27. Maybe they don't have a center, so what? You don't know always get to choose which piece of the puzzle comes first. 

Tri, top 6 forwards are at a premium. If they have chance to get one........especially a RW, who's got proven scoring ability at this level, he is only 27. Maybe they don't have a center, so what? You don't know always get to choose which piece of the puzzle comes first. 

The problem is that Kessel at 27 is on the down end of his career already probably - I mean sure, he has several good years left, but you are acquiring 90% of the guy you've already seen, at best.  Then he has a really large contract.  And you're piling on NJ's best forward prospects who I know aren't good but they're the best NJ has.  And you HAVE to hit on this year's pick - he has to be a 1st line forward otherwise you're boned.  It's just not prudent at all.  It's Spezza for Yashin level dealing.  Sure, the Islanders made it into the playoffs 3 times after making that trade and others like it, but they weren't very good, and then they sucked again soon after.

NJ needs their 2015 pick, and it needs its 2016 pick.  It can't trade either of these things but for young established stars.

Edited by Triumph

The problem is that Kessel at 27 is on the down end of his career already probably - I mean sure, he has several good years left, but you are acquiring 90% of the guy you've already seen, at best.  Then he has a really large contract.  And you're piling on NJ's best forward prospects who I know aren't good but they're the best NJ has.  And you HAVE to hit on this year's pick - he has to be a 1st line forward otherwise you're boned.  It's just not prudent at all.  It's Spezza for Yashin level dealing.  Sure, the Islanders made it into the playoffs 3 times after making that trade and others like it, but they weren't very good, and then they sucked again soon after.

NJ needs their 2015 pick, and it needs its 2016 pick.  It can't trade either of these things but for young established stars.

The contract doesn't bother me so much.  The only way the Devils are in a serious cap bind down the road with Kessel's deal is if Larsson and Severson both turn into $7 million AAV defensemen, which is actually a good problem to have. 

The first round pick which Toronto will obviously want, which is what is really problematic.  The best I would offer is 2016 first rounder lottery protected, to be pushed to 2017 no matter what.  I doubt Toronto takes that though.   

The contract doesn't bother me so much.  The only way the Devils are in a serious cap bind down the road with Kessel's deal is if Larsson and Severson both turn into $7 million AAV defensemen, which is actually a good problem to have. 

The first round pick which Toronto will obviously want, which is what is really problematic.  The best I would offer is 2016 first rounder lottery protected, to be pushed to 2017 no matter what.  I doubt Toronto takes that though.   

If the Devils so finish in the 8-12 range, would giving up this year's first rounder be that bad?

If the Devils so finish in the 8-12 range, would giving up this year's first rounder be that bad?

Even assuming no McDavid, I think it is.  It's just one more year of no relief in the form of young players coming in.  I mean, if Quenneville had a good year this year, then maybe.  But otherwise this team needs to get rolling on getting good young players as soon as possible.

Even assuming no McDavid, I think it is.  It's just one more year of no relief in the form of young players coming in.  I mean, if Quenneville had a good year this year, then maybe.  But otherwise this team needs to get rolling on getting good young players as soon as possible.

Also assuming no McDavid, if the Devils were getting a 3-6 pick, then I would agree with you.  Looking at the players who would most likely be available by the #8 spot, I am not sure if I would take them over Kessel.

I do agree the team needs to get younger though but Kessel is admittedly tempting.

The only reason I'd even be tempted to give up the first rounder is so I don't have to see the ridiculous tank talk the rest of the season. But no I don't really want to give up a top ten pick in a more win now move, especially before we know we won't get McDavid

Edited by NJDevs4978