Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

The contract doesn't bother me so much.  The only way the Devils are in a serious cap bind down the road with Kessel's deal is if Larsson and Severson both turn into $7 million AAV defensemen, which is actually a good problem to have. 

The first round pick which Toronto will obviously want, which is what is really problematic.  The best I would offer is 2016 first rounder lottery protected, to be pushed to 2017 no matter what.  I doubt Toronto takes that though.   

Severson is going to turn into that - the only way this thing works is if he does.  If the Devils are going to be a real good team at some point, they need cap efficiency - Kessel is unlikely to provide that.  I'm not saying they couldn't use Kessel - of course they could.  They just can't afford to be trading any future 1st round picks for him.

The one nice thing about Kessel is his durability, he plays a full season quite regularly, but I am not sure if we can afford him -- not sure it's worth giving up picks for him when he's got a lot of miles on him (at 27, he's been in the league 9 years already)

Severson is going to turn into that - the only way this thing works is if he does.  If the Devils are going to be a real good team at some point, they need cap efficiency - Kessel is unlikely to provide that.  I'm not saying they couldn't use Kessel - of course they could.  They just can't afford to be trading any future 1st round picks for him.

yup, we need 2 1st and 2 seconds this year, and hopefully next year.  after that we can entertain a high priced FA

You don't think Toronto will eat cap?

Apparently you can only retain salary on 3 contracts and Toronto has already done that twice. If that's true they won't be able to retain salary on both Kessel and Phaneuf.

From wiki...

The acquiring team must assume at least 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap charge of the SPC.

Such a contract can only be traded twice using provision 1 during the lifetime of the SPC.

Retained salary by the trading team cannot be more than 15 percent of the upper salary cap limit.

A maximum of 3 such contracts with salary retained in a trade can on a team's books at any one time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive:

If Wings don't land Phaneuf, they'll try to acquire right-shooting Marek Zidlicky from New Jersey.

That makes sense. I'd guess that means Holland is going to wait until later in the afternoon to see if Toronto is going to low their asking price for Phaneuf before pulling the trigger on a trade for Zidlicky.

I want him!

We have nothing offensively. We don't need leadership right now. Kessel is an elite talent and an elite player. Can score, can pass, can skate. I dont want him as a captain or a leader. But i want him to give us a certain (Kovalchuk effects.)

Let Henrique Elias Zajac and cammalleri be leaders... Let Kessel be our weapon.

Watching NHL Network, they've done a little feature on the 1994 Rangers for the past 20 fvcking minutes.

Granted, I just came back from a weekend in Canada (Montreal), but this is garbage trade deadline coverage.

This is Sportsnet, so it is Canadian.  TSN had llamas in studio.  There's really nothing to discuss right now, there's been 2 deals made today and one made late last night.

This is Sportsnet, so it is Canadian.  TSN had llamas in studio.  There's really nothing to discuss right now, there's been 2 deals made today and one made late last night.

Oh whoops, I only have it playing in the background, didn't know it was a Sportsnet feed. This is garbage.

I seriously hope we don't get Kessel.

Timid, quiet, weak guy.  Not a leader.  He can score, but he won't survive the Devils' system.  No way.

(in my opinion, of course)

agreed pass.  The guy's work ethic has been questioned over the years and you want to tie up 8M per for the next what is it 7 seasons? Plus not sure he owns a sharp razor so clearly he would struggle to fit in when it comes to conforming.

So im curious and it's a serious question

Why is it a fireable offense suddenly to some of you to not trade a 43 year old and missing the playoffs when we are 6-8 pts away from a playoffs spot

But it was completely fine and understandable not trading a 27 years old Clarkson in his prime who just scored 30 and who was on pace for another 30 through a full season, basically at the peak of his top value in his career when we were pretty much 6-8 points away at that time too... and a guy who wanted way too much money... and then miss the playoffs....

Good question. I think the reality was we were a better team then. We are dog sh!t right now, back then we were still dominating play but not finishing, this year we don't do either.

I seriously hope we don't get Kessel.

Timid, quiet, weak guy. Not a leader. He can score, but he won't survive the Devils' system. No way.

(in my opinion, of course)

I agree Kessel is not the ideal guy but let's be honest, if the price is right, you can't say "I hope we don't get him."

Bottom line is that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to acquire guys like Kessel. They are getting locked up long term and we desperately need a scoring option like him.

But all that being said I think the price would be way too high for it to be worth it.

I'm getting antsy here.  I knew going in that the Devils really don't have many assets to play with, but.. I can't help myself, I'm getting impatient.  I see lots of non-playoff teams making moves to plan for a better tomorrow.

I agree Kessel is not the ideal guy but let's be honest, if the price is right, you can't say "I hope we don't get him."

Bottom line is that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to acquire guys like Kessel. They are getting locked up long term and we desperately need a scoring option like him.

But all that being said I think the price would be way too high for it to be worth it.

This is fair enough, I guess.  He's just not the guy I'd like the Devils to try and build their offense around.  But you're right in that - if the price is right, Lou has to pull the trigger.  

We'll see what happens.  Only a few hours to go.