Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

I haven't watched much of Nashville this year.  I have never been impressed with Shea Weber's ability to pass the puck.  I don't give a sh!t if he can fight, shot blocking is hardly a valuable skill, nor is hitting, nor is being huge, and if Shea Weber's fast, so is Dainius Zubrus.  Weber to me is good positionally, he has an amazing shot, and he's a good guy to have on your PP.  Take away that shot - give him an average one - and I don't think he's in my top 20 D.  He's a valuable player, because that shot is responsble for a lot of goals, and he's a top-pair D who doesn't get beat, but he's not a top pair D who beats the other team.  He's not Scott Stevens.

Well again yeah... anything that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, account for a shot or drives the play "you don't give a sh!t" and its irrelevant to you. Absolutely ridiculous haha It's SO clear you never played sports dude or competitive at least, i can just tell by the way you think and post. Intangibles is a thing and all the things "you dont give a sh!t about" are important, sorry to break it to you.

To say Weber is not a star in the NHL simply cause he's "not driving the play enough for you"... and thatridiculous. You need to learn there's way more than numbers in sports.

Edited by SterioDesign

What sports have you played SD that are relevant in this discussion, and what intangibles that you have realized are so valuable in your years of playing hockey or any other sport do you see that makes Weber much better than Tri is saying he is?

Instead of saying "you didn't play the sport" actually add value to the discussion. Say what you ant about Tri, he brings some evidence to back up his posts. You just continue to bring up the "you've never played sports" before crap.

Also, at least Tri is admitting to not watching that many Predators games, but I am sure you have watched Weber dozens of times this season, or in his career? Yes, no? If so, tell us what you are seeing. And if not, you better have something better than "Intangibles is a thing and all the things "you dont give a sh!t about" are important, sorry to break it to you."

Edited by devilsrule33

What sports have you played SD that are relevant in this discussion, and what intangibles that you have realized are so valuable in your years of playing hockey or any other sport do you see that makes Weber much better than Tri is saying he is?

Instead of saying "you didn't play the sport" actually add value to the discussion. Say what you ant about Tri, he brings some evidence to back up his posts. You just continue to bring up the "you've never played sports" before crap.

Also, at least Tri is admitting to not watching that many Predators games, but I am sure you have watched Weber dozens of times this season, or in his career? Yes, no? If so, tell us what you are seeing. And if not, you better have something better than "Intangibles is a thing and all the things "you dont give a sh!t about" are important, sorry to break it to you."

The biggest intangible I think that sports conveys is the ability to parrot conventional wisdom.  Well, Shea Weber brings lots of intangibles, so he has to be great.  Oh, the Predators aren't killing it with him on the ice?  They're doing almost as well with him off the ice?  Must be because of all the encouragment he's bringing when he's not taking his shift.  

I used to think Weber would age great - great defense tends to age well, look at MacInnis, Stevens, Lidstrom, Pronger, Chara, Niedermayer - but now I'm not so sure.  He might be more Phaneuf than Stevens.

Edited by Triumph

I was going to respond to some of the Severson posts directed at me but a lot has already been said by posters above.

Here's what will get me to even think about trading Severson (+ maybe a pick): Severson + 1st for Johnson and Hedman. And no I am not joking. And yes, I would still only consider that.

With the depth thing, the point you all are missing is that it doesn't matter how many 3-6 D you pile up if you trade away your 1 D. Teams work for years to find a D like Severson. 20 fvcking years old, and displays awesome ice awareness, hockey sense, and skill.

Wonder if Dallas would consider Jagr with Seguin gone for weeks?  They could miss the playoffs if they don't plug that hole? I'm sure there's something there Lou would think will help. Jagr would probably only go to a team that is a lock to get into the playoffs.  unfortunately, big cap hit

I haven't watched much of Nashville this year.  I have never been impressed with Shea Weber's ability to pass the puck.  I don't give a sh!t if he can fight, shot blocking is hardly a valuable skill, nor is hitting, nor is being huge, and if Shea Weber's fast, so is Dainius Zubrus.  Weber to me is good positionally, he has an amazing shot, and he's a good guy to have on your PP.  Take away that shot - give him an average one - and I don't think he's in my top 20 D.  He's a valuable player, because that shot is responsble for a lot of goals, and he's a top-pair D who doesn't get beat, but he's not a top pair D who beats the other team.  He's not Scott Stevens.

Weber is a guy who when he hits a "Zubrusesque" wall, it'll be ugly, especially with that cap hit.  Probably only a few years away too from happening at this point.

I keep thinking Weber will age like a Derian Hatcher with a slap shot.

Difficult to decide which Hatcher brother fell off a cliff quicker.  But not a bad analogy on your part.  Hat tip from me.  

The problem with the way most people in general operate, is they see someone who they have long just assumed is the established star - Player A - as unsurpassable by some less known Player B that no one talks about, "Because that's what everybody thinks right?" And then when someone says "you should value this young player  - Player B - more" people freak out and are smirk, because you have shocked their systems. And this is how everyone treats future stars before they are stars, especially unexpected stars. You compare a guy like Severson to a guy like Weber and people will be like "Lol, you are joking right?" Without actually considering how much they really know about Weber. Because all they know is that everyone thinks he is amazing so he must be, he is what people know after all; what they are used to considering the best. And to them player B (Severson in this case) could never be even considered in conversation with him. This is why we leave things to the people who know hockey, because they [generally] understand player potential much better than the fans.

"Tom Brady is better than Drew Bledsoe"; this pissed a lot of people off circa 2001.

"Marc Bulger should start even when Warner comes back"; this made people insane.

Edited by Neb00rs

He meant there's no chance of Jagr returning this offseason since he's clearly dissatisfied (with good reason) over his role post coaching change. With the way Jagr's played this year I'm not sure I'd even want him back anyway although RW is already a nuclear disaster as is.

He will not come back with the system NJ is playing. If DeBoer goes to Toronto watch him follow.

He wouldn't play as much in Toronto though, they have actual forward talent.

He meant there's no chance of Jagr returning this offseason since he's clearly dissatisfied (with good reason) over his role post coaching change. With the way Jagr's played this year I'm not sure I'd even want him back anyway although RW is already a nuclear disaster as is.

He wouldn't play as much in Toronto though, they have actual forward talent.

Well, who knows what the coaching staff will be, but I don't think the quote changed anything for me. He isn't coming back here.

Jagr has been very solid for the Devils for the most part.

Dreger on TSN radio: Jagr wanted a trade a little while ago but Lamoriello insisted NJ was still in the race so JJ kept playing for him.

lol I really don't know what some fans will need to admit that Lou has lost his mind and is in pure denial about how sh!tty his team is. 

Lou supposedly said that to Jagr's agent at the end of the 8-2-2 run, just before the four-game losing streak.  Though we all kind of knew that the 8-2-2 burst was a lot of fool's gold, under the circumstances, I can give Lou a bit of a pass for being optimistic, especially with Schneider playing so well.  That being said, if he's still optimistic now, then he's out of his mind.  The team is not good and there's no sugarcoating it.

Again, Lou doesn't need to trade anyone right this second.  The moves will come...probably not as many as we'd all like (and the returns won't be anything special), but he will get rid of some bodies before or at the deadline.  If he does absolutely nothing by then and you want to kill him for it, have at it.  There's no excusing that.        

Lou supposedly said that to Jagr's agent at the end of the 8-2-2 run, just before the four-game losing streak.  Though we all kind of knew that the 8-2-2 burst was a lot of fool's gold, under the circumstances, I can give Lou a bit of a pass for being optimistic, especially with Schneider playing so well.  That being said, if he's still optimistic now, then he's out of his mind.  The team is not good and there's no sugarcoating it.

Again, Lou doesn't need to trade anyone right this second.  The moves will come...probably not as many as we'd all like (and the returns won't be anything special), but he will get rid of some bodies before or at the deadline.  If he does absolutely nothing by then and you want to kill him for it, have at it.  There's no excusing that.        

Alright, i don't know your name buddy, but for now i'll call you... Scott Donovan.

Say were sitting together and you're running the Devils. YOU are. Am i'm asking you "Hey scott donovan, do you feel you could win the cup with this roster this year?"

What would you say? 

I mean it was pretty damn clear to me that we never had a team to win the cup, and when you can't win a cup when you build toward a roster that could, "making the playoffs" shouldn't be the goal here, winning the cup is". And we certainly never had a team that we could say "well once you're in, you never know. We saw this team, we know.